“Happy about the updated rooms and new lobby bar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Philadelphia Hotel

You added Loews Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STOP Drop and Roll
Ranked #14 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Happy about the updated rooms and new lobby bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Loews Philadelphia Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in Philadelphia. I love the location, and the simple sophistication of the property. The attentive staff and the hotel’s YouFirst loyalty program’s perks also make this a top choice for me. The updated rooms still feature a comfortable bed, and a very clean and hip style. The remodeled lobby and new bar/restaurant are both really stylish. The bar/restaurant offers some great cocktails and food items. In my opinion, the hotel was getting dated, but very happy that the property has successfully executed these renovations; making the property competitive in price, quality and service to the newer boutique hotels being built in the city. Give this hotel a try, you won’t be disappointed. Tip if you valet park your call: Sometimes the valet parking at the hotel gets backed up on weekends, I definitely would suggest calling down for your car about 30 minutes prior to your schedule check-out/departure.

Room Tip: Corner rooms usually have beautiful views of the city, because of their wrap-around windows.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel and for your glowing review. We are thrilled to be one of your favorite hotels in Philadelphia and we are so happy you enjoy our location, our attentive and friendly team members and our newly renovated guestrooms and lobby. We are happy that you had the opportunity to enjoy our new restaurant Bank & Bourbon and we look forward to hosting you again soon!

Sean C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The staff at the Loews Philadelphia are exceptional! They all went above and beyond to ensure our comfort. We traveled with kids and the staff were always very engaging with our children (ages 4 and 1) and they were very accommodating to us. Their crib is a nice wooden crib. Excellent stay! I would definitely visit again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are thrilled you found our team members to be exceptional and that they made you and your children feel special and your stay memorable. Our Loews Loves Kids program offers an array of amenities from cribs to games and we are pleased that you enjoyed the offerings. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Upon making my reservation for one night at this hotel, I was told that a free breakfast was included with a premium king room. Awesome. We arrive at the hotel which was nice and seemed clean. Staff was extremely friendly. I liked the room, bed was great...clean and comfortable. Dressers were dusty on top. My main complaint was on the morning of my checkout day, which was Saturday morning, asking concierge for the free breakfast only to be told that it was not valid on weekends. Because this was the reason I booked this kind of room, I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are sorry for any confusion about the breakfast and I welcome the opportunity to further discuss this issue with you. We strive to make every guest happy and to provide a memorable experience. We are sorry that we did not do so for you and hope you will afford us another opportunity with a return visit.

St. Pete
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This hotel was booked for a small business conference I attended, which was given a block of rooms. The generic airport shuttle to the hotel was slow and uncomfortable, and even by taxi, the drive is neither a scenic nor even pleasant introduction to Philly.

Once there, however, I found the hotel located in the beautiful modernist Philadelphia Savings Fund Society (bank) building, constructed--amazingly--during the depression. The very large PSFS sign atop the building was apparently left lit 24 hours a day during depression years, to reassure folks their money was safe. The building has been on the National Registry of Historic Places since 1979. After banking troubles in the 1970s and 80s--it was purchased and opened as a Loews hotel in 2000.

The recent retrofitting has kept most of the historical charm of the building, including original Cartier clocks on each floor, near the elevators. The inside decor preserves the modernist style of the wood and marble 36-story structure, with clean, spare lines and boldly contrasting colors, The rooms are unusually spacious and uncluttered, creating a calm retreat from the excitement and rush of a major urban center with important historic sites.

I was given a room on the 28th floor, and while I usually prefer lower levels, the breathtaking view of the city, the Delaware River and the George Washington Bridge changed my mind immediately. Fortunately, there are two elevator walls, including a set that bypass most floors between 5 and 20, and accessing street level or a conference venue or my room was never a problem. (One set of escalators was out of order between mezzanine levels.)

Service was impeccable--friendly, prompt, and with personnel all of whom had a good basic knowledge of English, even if they were non-native speakers. The central downtown location made most things accessible by foot or trolley, and the helpful Concierge staff had ready a list of nearby restaurant recommendations with addresses and price ranges.

Rooms were equipped with the usual items, including luxurious robes and a single-cup coffee brewer with tea and coffee supplies. While we didn't eat in the hotel's restaurant, the breakfast fare and snacks provided by the hotel for our meetings were very good.

I love Philadelphia--its bustle, its impressive landmarks, its narrow streets and varied restaurants, many with seating spilling onto the pavements, its galleries and museums, even the gigantic old Macy's on the doorstep of the old city hall, both around the corner from the hotel. But a good part of this successful trip was knowing I had a calm, cool, comfortable haven to regroup in whenever I needed.

Would I book again? In a minute.

Room Tip: Ask to be above the 20th floor, with river view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we thoroughly enjoyed your detailed review. We are so happy you enjoyed how we have blended the historic elements of the building with modern conveniences. We are glad you appreciated our central location, walking distance to everything. Thank you for your kind words about our friendly and helpful team members, we are glad they made your stay memorable and easy. Thank you also for noting the amenities in the guest rooms. It sounds like you truly enjoyed Philadelphia and we look forward to hosting you here again soon!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Very Modern, Clean, Comfortable.
Great Location and Very Friendly Staff
Stayed 2 nights for business End of July.
One of the better hotels I've stayed
.........................................................

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are thrilled you found the property to be modern, clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed the location and our friendly team members. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

The hotel is right downtown, two blocks from city hall. My room had a lot of windows, with views North and East. The drapes were thick enough to keep out most of the light. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The room was spacious. It had a large desk, roller chair, upholstered chair, and dresser with a hidden K-cup coffee maker. The narrow closet was difficult to get into, since the sliding doors limited access; an accordion door would have made more sense.

My room was right next to an elevator, and I heard it a lot. Mostly a short muffled roar like a jet taking off, with a bit of vibration. It was a staff-only elevator, so it didn’t run much at night. It never kept me awake or woke me up, so I didn’t have to ask for a different room. One nice feature in the bathroom was that the toilet seat went down slowly and gently--no accidently dropping it with a bang. The counter had plenty of space to put toiletries.

The hotel was really busy on Saturday night because there was a wedding (or two) going on. My room was on the end and it had a second (suite) door shared with the room next door. I closed the second door, which helped block the noise of all the wedding guests wandering the halls and being noisy by the elevators. During the rest of my stay, the elevator vestibule was quiet.

I stayed here for a conference. The elevators are set up so that some only go up to the 19th floor, some service the higher floors (though they still stop on the conference room floors), and two elevators would stop on any floor. Regretfully, the elevator buttons aren’t coordinated, so people would push the buttons on both sides and then take whichever came first. Then the other elevator would stop on all those floors where no one was waiting any longer. The extremely long elevator waits were the most frustrating thing in the hotel.

After staying at Loews’ beautiful South Beach location, I was really looking forward to staying here. The Philadelphia room was nowhere near as plush as in Miami, but it was a very nice room.

Room Tip: Upper floors will have a view, on lower floors you can use the stairs when you get tired of waiting...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed the views from the hotel and that you enjoyed your newly renovated guest room and the amenities. We are sorry you had issues with the elevators when the hotel was busy, but it sounds like nonetheless you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The front desk is very polite and helpful. Check-in is smooth. I requested some extra blanket and they delivered it on time.

The only issue is that there's a loud venting noise when we went to sleep. We are so tired and for just one night we don't want to bother anyone at about 11pm. However it got worse during the night and several time it wake me up.

Maybe it is just my room. The number is 1005. You may need request other rooms if you are given this room.

The rest is a typical 4 star hotel except the noises.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1005
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are sorry that you found your room to be noisy, but pleased that you found our team members to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Sean C.

Been to Loews Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!