“Awesome views, nice rooms, great amenities, A+++ service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Philadelphia Hotel

Save Saved
You added Loews Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$100 Food & Bev Credit
Ranked #16 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Awesome views, nice rooms, great amenities, A+++ service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Would stay here again. Would recommend to friends at the rate I paid.

Stayed at Loews Philly as the media HQ for the '14 NCAA Hockey Championships. It served the purpose well for a significant-sized gathering. I heard no complaints from anyone who was part of the media corps.

Our rate was $189, which felt about right.

First and foremost, the customer service across the board is exemplary. From the bellhops to concierge to front desk to housekeeping - they were all wonderful, helpful and cheerful. They did all I could ask and more.

Views from higher floors are stunning. I was on the 25th in the NW corner and looked directly out at William Penn atop City Hall and the surrounding downtown skyscrapers. North windows offered views that went forever. Associate had room on SW corner w/ same downtown views to west, and views of sports complex and airport in distant south.

As for the room... it was outstanding. I'm certain I was given an upgrade as it was a corner room... but it wasn't all that big. However, what it lacked in size was easily made up for with comfort. The bed was absolutely perfect with very comfortable bedding. Everything was spotless and crisp.

It was nicely furnished. Nice TV, iPod dock alarm clock, comfortable chair to relax in and nice desk setup for work. Colleague had room in opposite corner (SW) and his desk set-up was massive. Room was slightly bigger there too. Thermostat was simple to adjust and quick to react. Tea and coffee service were a K-cup setup. Minibar prices were outrageous, as per usual.

Great shower and bathroom amenities. The terry cloth robe was amazing... not the starchy-scratcher you get some places.

All-in-all, the room was incredibly comfortable. I felt very refreshed and productive.

I did not use the workout facilities, unfortunately. Colleagues said it was top-of-class with a lap pool, steam/sauna and workout equipment.

Property is very easy to reach via public transit to airport and round city if needed.

Did not eat at hotel restaurant, but it looked nice enough. I opted for the 1/2 block walk to Reading Market for the most stunningly diverse display of food offerings I've ever seen under one (albeit massive) roof. If you're at the Loews, do not miss Reading Market for at least one meal.

Negatives? There are some.

Convenient location = noise. Street musicians love to bang away outside Reading Market. They were loud, and I was up on the 25th floor. Would have been rough lower down. There must also be a hospital nearby because sirens were predominant at night.

The rooms were a little noisy, too. If you're in any of the rooms directly off the elevator lobby - you will hear the ding of the elevator's arrival over and over. If you can't handle it, ask for a different room. You can hear it clear as a... well... clear as a bell.

I also could clearly hear the daily (very noisy) morning gathering of the large family in a room three doors down from me every day. Fairly, that was as much a fault of the family itself as it was the architecture of the structure.

If you're in cabs or public transit, you're fine. Central location, easy walk or quick connection to all public transit - including the train lines to the airport and sports complex.

But parking is a bit of a nightmare. First off, the onsite fees are insane -- only onsite option is a $39/nt valet situation. That's crazy. Bellman helped direct me to the nearby public lot which was just across the side-street for $17/nt. Look for the green "PARK" sign of 12th if you need it. Entry and exit were a little tricky and you don't have in/out privileges. Also, the elevator up and down is sketchy. I was ok with it but if you're claustrophobic, forget it. Lastly, the lot - which has you park on the roof - is predominantly a valet facility. I was triple-parked in one morning when I went to retrieve my car, but the valets quickly moved the cars out from behind me. However, my colleague parked one day and was directed to park in a reserved spot... but then told he'd have to "take care of" the attendant. A complete and unacceptable shakedown.

If you can handle the parking headache and are ok with the as-usual-downtown-in-a-major-city noise, this is a superb property... and I cannot stress how satisfied I was with the customer service.

Room Tip: Get a corner, high up... for view and noise avoidance. If you can get a NW corner room... or at lea...
Green Features: The property followed all common and prevalent "green" initiatives
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you loved your our service, new rooms, and amenities. We are very proud of our newly renovated product. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.

1,649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Love this hotel, we stayed with our 16 month old son, totally child friendly hotel, staff are extremely professional and friendly! The housekeeper even had toys want to our room! Room service menu is very reasonable

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased your son was treated just as well as you were. Our team is really first class. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

This served as the media HQ for the 2014 NCAA Frozen Four, and was a great host site. Centrally located near plenty of food and nightlife options, with parking on-site and nearby (although the $38 daily parking charge seemed exorbitant). The service was outstanding, rooms clean and well-appointed and the on-site workout center was one of the best-equipped I'd ever encountered. Interesting history as well, as the hotel was once a bank building and has been flawlessly converted into high-rise luxury. High-floor rooms offer stunning views of the city and surrounding region. If you're in Philadelphia and want to splurge, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: If you want an amazing view, get something on the 20th floor or higher.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, our location to everything Philly has to offer, and the new equipment in the fitness center. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I said in this hotel for a few days in April 2014. I don't stay in Loews hotels very often so it was a pleasant surprise. There was only one problem and it was resolved in a very nice way so it made me think even more highly of this hotel. The check in process was quick and easy, but when I entered the room, the beds were not made. Everything else was clean and neat as I would expect. So I called the desk and within 15 minutes a staff person came to check on the room and within an hour the room was made up. They checked up on everything later and left a very nice note with a bottle of wine to make up for the problem. The room was nicely furnished and was quiet. For a hotel this size, the elevators worked very well. I was on the 18th floor and I thought that might be a problem. The restaurant in the hotel serves good food, but the menu is limited. There are plenty of other places to eat nearby. The location of the hotel is very good, with many of the major sites of Philadelphia within walking distance. Overall, staying at this hotel was a very good experience.

Room Tip: My room faced west on the 18th floor. My view was of an office tower, but I could see William Penn...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased to have been your first Loews Hotel. I am sorry about the housekeeping issue but its seems our team did a great job with service recovery. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I choose Loews hotel because it's an historic building now a 5 x hotel on the main road in Philadelphia across from Hard Rock Cafe so that made it good for me, close to most attractions to do with Benjamin Franklin liberty bell walked a 1000 miles first day my second day I drove round town the hotel was also a great place to stay had three breakfast and one dinner which was very good would recommend

Room Tip: Look around to get a good price direct to hotel can be expensive
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you chose to spoil yourself with our newly renovated rooms and convenient location to a lot of attractions in the city. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
West Lafayette, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I needed to attend a major conference for a few days at the Convention Center and surrounding hotels (including the Loews). I was traveling on the company dime, but those dimes are very carefully counted, so I was looking for a decent deal. I ended up winning two nights at the Loews Philadelphia on Priceline and it turned out to be a great deal.

First of all, for anyone not interested in paying for a taxi or sharing a shuttle that will stop at seemingly every stop in the city, the Loews is very conveniently located to a stop on the airport train. The airport trains, which depart every 30 minutes (time depends on terminal) are a cash-only (unless you have already purchased a ticket) operation where you pay the conductor once onboard. For $8, you can go to any city-center Philadelphia stop from the airport, and the Loews is very near (across the street) from the Market East stop below the convention center.

Check-in was fairly efficient, and I quickly was given a room on the 7th floor. I would call it a fairly standard "Priceline" room in that it was near the elevator and overlooked the roof of a nearby building. None of that really mattered to me though. Instead, I'll focus on the idea that the room seemed very clean, was of decent size, was quiet, and had free wifi. I was actually astonished about the free wifi ... it was sufficient for most tasks I needed it for (web browsing, email, etc), though you are asked to pay $15/day for premium service if you want to VPN, use Netflix, etc. The room also included a Keurig coffee system. Housekeeping did a good job as well.

My only concerns were fairly minor and all had to do the shower/tub. First of all, the plug did not work properly in that it would not stay open while water was hitting it (perhaps it was just me, though I tried multiple different operations to see if I could get it to stick) so I ended up just wedging it open in with a washcloth. Secondly, the hot water tended to take a few minutes to work its way through the system, but the first time, I was seriously worried I would only get a tepid shower (it was easy to have the water too hot because of this delay). Lastly, the soap holder used was placed in a very awkward place for cleaning, and there was a small but noticeable mold build up in the grout behind it if you looked for it ... but again, you had to look). The restaurant and bar in the lobby were a bit overpriced, but I don't think that is unexpected in this setting.

This hotel was placed perfectly for a conference with the convention center and other large conference hotels right across the street. Because of this, there were also many restaurants in the area, as well as more boutique food shopping in the Reading Terminal Market. Historical sights were a short walk down Market Street ... a trip that also yielded convenience and drug stores (CVS, Walgreens) if you need to stock up on snacks or medical supplies.

All-in-all, I had an excellent stay at the Loews.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you had such a great stay during your conference. Our location is a bonus for our newly renovated rooms and our first class staff. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel is located in center city Philadelphia. I stayed on a high floor and had a great urban view. The rooms have been recently renovated as well as the lobby and restaurant. The very large and lounge-like lobby seating is comfortable and cushy with a large screen TV and bar service. It's a great place to hang out, socialize, work on your laptop or watch a TV. The adjacent restaurant has a rustic, yet contemporary decor and a new menu. I had great seafood entrees and clever vegetable side dishes. The deserts are sublime. Everything is new and fresh and the staff are attentive and helpful. I was on a business trip and felt very comfortable with free wifi in the rooms and lobby.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the more expansive the view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby experience. Our restaurant and lobby lounge seem to really be a crowd pleaser. Again, thanks for your review and we hope to host you again soon.

Been to Loews Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!