“I feel quality was robbed from this property.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Philadelphia Hotel

You added Loews Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Like a Local
Ranked #15 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I feel quality was robbed from this property.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have the type of job that fortunately allows me to stay in very nice hotels and resorts. I have stayed in several different Loews properties and have never been disappointed until now. In the Loews property located in downtown Philadelphia, I find myself in a nice room, but the bed is a glorified cot. It's called a Murphy bed. Regardless on how you verbally dress it up, it's just a cot. It's very uncomfortable. Sadly the staff here is unable, (translation) unwilling, to properly accommodate me.
If you look into staying here, you may want to specify the accommodations before you commit.

• Stayed February 2013
Rick_Staub, Managing Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We very much appreciate your recent stay at Loews Philadelphia Hotel and your feedback on Trip Advisor. Our apologies that your stay was not satisfactory due to the Murphy bed in your room. We are still in the process of evaluating the quality of the Murphy bed as we complete our room renovation. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss your experience further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Freedom,Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

If it were possible to key in 3.5, it would be 3.5 over all. There is the hotel, and there is the bar/restaurant. Hotel first: The hotel is a "repurposed" office building. The building itself is architecturally significant, quite handsome, and wearing its age very well. The conversion to hotel rooms has been accomplished with style and flair. The staff is, in every instance, warm and cordial. The incoming-employee protocol must be very well designed and -managed. Somebody's doing something right. Niggling downsides: the lighting in the rooms is, frankly, harsh. They've employed pigtail CFL's, and, once they get cranked up, they could bleach your teeth. Me, I'd spring for LED's and dimmers (or black market incandescents, from Canada, eh?). ND #2: dial back on the aromatherapy, please. The scent in the lobby, elevator bank, corridors, rooms, is not bad—it just doesn't need to be cranked up to 10. The Bar: this shaves off a point, at least. Mucho problemos: The main area is WAY too live, acoustically. Every customer adjusting every chair makes an unignorable (?) SKREEONK!!! on the hard floor. "Intimate" 2/4 tall tables are tipsy and, apparently, not adjustable—with a couple of sugar packets I could have fixed that. The circular glass table tops have too much of a cantilever toward the perimeter (result: elbow weight at the wrong place tips the entire table top—with occasional entertainment like this, who needs the jazz trio?). Sin of sins: a whiskey sour was ordered, but served in a Tom Collins highball type glass, with ice. The Apocalypse is upon us. The classic gin Martini was effective, but perfunctory. Hints: freeze the glass, freeze the gin, refrigerate the vermouth, shake the bejeesus out of it. If it is made so, the aromatic fog will lift above the crystalline shards of hyper-cold ice, cascade down the frosted skin of glass, and give hope that there is some future for Western Civilization.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that our staff was very warm and cordial with you and that you appreciate the architectural design of the building. As a property on the historical register we make every effort to maintain many of the buildings original design and décor. We also would like to thank you for your “Niggling downsides” comments. They are very important to us as they allow us to continually improve as a brand. We hope you will consider the Loews Philadelphia again when your travels bring you back to our City.
Deusto, Pais Vasco, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel actually was pretty as quite good situated. The staff was nice and helpful.
But there was not wifi in the rooms (at least not free wifi).
Charging Policy:
They charged me two quantities in my credit card the arrival day and two days after without informing me. When I check out they (that should know that I have already paid) did not say anything and I paid all the receipt with cash. They still continue without saying nothing 5 days later when I realize of the charges and I e-mailed and phoned several times without answer to ask the refund my money. Finally, they refund me the money but my sensation is strange...

Room Tip: the double beads that they show as doubles are NOT for two adults!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rick_Staub, Managing Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your room and that our staff was nice and helpful to you. Our apologies that you were not informed that we offer complimentary WIFI in the Lobby, Solefood Restaurant, and Breathe Spa. We would also like to apologize for the situation with your credit card being double charged and the delay it took to refund your money. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not exceeding all your expectations. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the quality and service that most of our guests have become used to when they travel to the Loews Philadelphia Hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was an attending of a Biotronik course held in Loews in February for 3 days and I can say this hotel is in the heart of the Philly with awesome city views. The service was outstanding. Thanks to the star service Onder for his pizza restaurant recommendation. I liked Philly and I liked Loews.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you find our service to be outstanding. We pride ourselves on our service and are fortunate to have such a great location as well. We look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Philadelphia in the near future.
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just got back from our weekend at Loews Philadelphia. We have stayed in alot of fancy hotels ~ (with stuffy personel,) and " mom and pop hotels" (nothing fancy, but friendly, happy, helpful staff.) This is the best of both worlds. Beautifully appointed, up- dated, spotless and very comfortable, but with the friendliest staff you can imagine. From the housekeeping staff, to the front desk staff, everyone showed an amazingly consistent courteous and friendly attitude. Justin, the door-man remembered and called me BY NAME after having met me once briefly the day before. He gave me a quick tour of the lobby area and vault ( building used to be a bank) and suggested my family and I go to the top floor to see the old board rooms and the view. What a good tip. Staff is proud of their building, happy in their work, and I can't imagine how our stay could have been more pleasant. Sleep in the cozy bed with lovely lofty comforter and high quality mattress, help yourself to the complimentary Starbucks coffee in the morning, and warm complimentary apple cider in lobby in the afternoon. Our room wasn't " tired" as one reviewer mentioned, but had been recently redecorated. Keurig in the room, and iphone charging station. What a treat. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. Super location. Will return! My new favorite hotel, hands down.

Room Tip: beautiful view from high floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are so happy that you got a chance to come stay with us recently and that you found everything to be “Top Notch”. It’s always great to hear that our staff of service professionals is having such an impact on our guests. Justin will be happy to hear that you appreciated his tip on viewing the 33rd floor, the original Board room. We've passed along all of your kind words to them and we can’t wait to see you again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife &i were staying at another fancy hotel I won't mention any names...it wasn't nice as it seems on the Internet ....but arrivinng @ Loews was one of the best experience I ever had as far as Respect goes...ok i drive up the the front and there are four or five guys out there egarly waiting too help me..this young man by name of Anthony Miller escorts me in the hotel while showing me the bar area and explaing to me the hours of operation and room service,,,takes to me the front desk. Introduce me to livelle...ok...these guy talk to each other I didn't have to say ANYTHING THEY ANTHONY & LIVELLE took over..then livelle goes and gets me doggie things for me dog...OMG...ok look I have stayed @ some really nice hotels but. Never ever like this...then.......ANTHONY INTRDUCE ME to the bell hop who took me to my room open my door put up my stuff while explaing to me the operation the the hotel AGAIN....I KNOW THIS MIGHT NOT SOUND LIKE MUCH TO SOME PEOPLE but!!! TOTAL PROFESSINAL....I'm never staying at another hotel in Philly But this one..I'm telling all my friends &family and I have a big mouth....I stayed at the Loews in Miami and your service is still the best hand s down...Thank you so very much we really need it that that day in particular...we had a bad few days of personal stuff and that services WAS IMPECCABLE......THANK YOU AGAIN....AND THE MANAGER WAS VERY NICE....I LOVED HE GUCCI GLASSES....GO GIRL....

SINCERELY MR.P.AKERS....

Room Tip: Loews hotels corner...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, thank you so much for such a wonderful review. We are so happy that you found our staff so engaging, helpful, and professional. We are also please that every one addressed you by name and introduced you to the next person you were to encounter. We will make sure that we pass your comments on to our entire staff especially Anthony, Livelle, and Tashna. Tashna will be happy to hear that you liked her Gucci glasses. We can’t wait for you to visit us again.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Loew's Philadelphia is in a perfect location to see and taste what Philly has to offer. Right across from Reading Terminal Market and near a heap of historic sights as well as central to many of the great places to eat this town now has. Parking is up to $45 overnight which was a third of the cost of our stay. The room was clean and well appointed. We chose a luxury king which had us in a corner room with a southerly vista over the city. It was very nice. The building is an original vintage skyscraper but well preserved and cozy.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and upgrade to a larger corner room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your recent review. We are so pleased you appreciate our great city and the perfect location of the hotel for seeing the sights. We are disappointed to see that our parking fees were a third of the cost of your stay. However, we have reviewed these concerns with the appropriate managers to insure that we are within the pricing structure of our competitive set of hotels. We do hope the pricing does not deter you from choosing Loews Philadelphia Hotels for future visits.

Been to Loews Philadelphia Hotel? Share your experiences!