“Awesome location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District to your Saves list
Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #52 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Arlington, Virginia
“Awesome location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Awesome location within walking distance to Independence Hall, etc as well as a bunch of nice restaurants. Btw, they do have a restaurant in the hotel as well, but I didn't eat there, so I can't say much about it. They don't have a concierge here, but the front desk guy (Simon) was pretty helpful in answering our questions about the neighborhood and what's around. Our room was good for the price. It was clean and I didn't have any complaints, but it wasn't anything spectacular either. On the down side, I would have appreciated some sort of breakfast, even if it was just the continental-type breakfast where you pretty much just get coffee and a muffin. Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you're coming to Philadelphia and you want a decent hotel at a decent price in an awesome location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
292JohnK292, General Manager at Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I'm glad you had a good visit. We do have a great location for both site seeing and dining and there is some great shopping as well. We are excited about starting our renovation next month. You won't recognize the place when it is complete. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back.

906 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

It appears that Wyndham has taken over a very tired Holiday Inn in the best location in Philadelphia. The hotel is situated right smack in the Historic District of Philadelphia. Walk a 1/2 block and you are at Betsy Ross' house. Walk another block and you are at Ben Franklin's final resting place. Walk three blocks and you are seated at City Tavern or walk another three blocks and you are at Constitution Hall and the Liberty Bell.

The hotel should have been better maintained by the Holiday Inn when they had it. Of course, there is not much you can do with the footprint of a standard hotel room but the walls have dents, bumps, cracks in them. The furniture is dated and tired and the amenities are limited. Room Service has limited hours and the Lobby gift shop is filled with what looks like leftovers from someone's curio cabinet at home. They are not part of the hotel so don't expect to be able to charge a purchase to your final bill.

The staff is very accommodating and helpful. They are warm and informative and that is a huge plus in this worn out place. I am hoping the Wyndham does a bang up job of turning this place around because it deserves to be looked after. It also sends a message to Holiday Inn that they should keep up their properties.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I appreciate the kind words you had about our staff and I will be sure to share that with them. I am excited to announce that we will be starting a multimillion dollar renovation next month. It will certainly reflect the standards you're used to seeing with Wyndham hotels. You won't recognize the place when it's complete. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you again.

cincinnati, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were very pleased with our accomodations at the Wyndham. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, bright and tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The location was convenient to the things we wanted to see/do while in Philadelphia. Our only problem was the slow service at the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I'm glad that you found the hotel and amenities to your liking. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff. Thank you again and we look forward to you returning sometime in the near future.

Pottstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Right in the heart of the Old City, with Independence Hall a block away. Great and accommodating staff. Room was clean, spacious and quiet. Most enjoyable. Will stay here again without question.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

292JohnK292, General Manager at Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We pride ourselves in being friendly, helpful and clean and I'm glad to see we came through in all those areas. Thank you again and we hope to see you back sometime in the future.

San Ramon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

You know you're in for an average hotel experience when the check-in agent directs you to their display showing their plans for renovating the hotel ... soon.

Honestly, the hotel room wasn't too bad. Furnishings were decent, and the bed mattress was fairly comfortable. The carpeting looked a little worn, so I don't think our room had yet been renovated.

Everyone we encountered at the hotel was friendly.

My biggest complaint would be about the loudness of the air conditioning unit. In Philadelphia in July, you definitely need A/C. We could hear the unit get even louder when the thermostat would kick in, but even when it did cool off, the noise from just the fan was still surprisingly loud (and couldn't be turned off without turning off the A/C altogether). I know I woke up at least a few times per night because of the noise.

But the location of this hotel is fantastic! You're in the same block as Benjamin Franklin's gravesite (just behind the hotel), and two blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. This was my first trip to Philly, so it was really nice being so close to the historic sites.

A couple of suggestions for the area:

Try a cheesesteak at Sonny's on Market Street (about three easy blocks from the hotel). They were excellent, and much less greasy than other cheesesteaks we tried.

Do visit the tour at Independence Hall. They provide free tickets at the nearby Visitor Center which gives you a tour time later in the day. We discovered that tickets were usually gone by around lunchtime. The tour was brief, but had excellent interpreters that told the stories of the rooms you visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I apologize for the noise you encountered with the AC unit. If I am able to determine what room you were in I'll have our maintenance department take a look at it. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our great location. We truly are in a good spot for not only site seeing but also shopping and dining. Thank you again and we hope to see you back sometime in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleased with my stay. The staff was great and to me personally the biggest perk was the iPhone/iPod charger/docking station alarm clock. I forgot to bring my charger, so not only was it great in that aspect but I also got to listen to my music in my room. The beds was very comfortable and the pool was also nice. My only complaint that I gave four stats is that the bar closes very early and initially since I was paying cash the hotel wanted to hold a $250 deposit for incidentals. I worked with Ronnie on that, she was great and I understand the business perspective but $250. in cash isn't reasonable but since Ronnie worked with me on that it was a great experience. I plan on going back if I stay in Philly overnight again.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and Ronnie was able to help you with the issue regarding your incidental deposit. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back sometime in the near future.

Regards,

Been to Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District? Share your experiences!