“Fabulous B and B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gables Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
The Gables Bed and Breakfast
You added The Gables Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
4520 Chester Avenue, At South 46th St., Philadelphia, PA 19143 (University City)   |
Special Price
Book Now for 25% off
Ranked #10 of 27 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Preston, United Kingdom
“Fabulous B and B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We chose The Gables as our starting point on a three week trip as it was not too far to drive from the airport after our flight from the UK, and we love staying in B and Bs. We were not disappointed. Don and Warren are very welcoming hosts. Our room was very comfortable and clean. Breakfasts were excellent and sitting around a large table makes for very interesting conversations. Breakfast cannot be rushed! The trolley into Philly stops just around the corner which makes it very easy to go and see the sights in the city. Good restaurants in the area, particularly enjoyed our evening in Dock Street Brewery. My husband can recommend the fish and chips! Would definitely return to The Gables.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My room and traveling companions' rooms were huge and had great natural light from large, deep-silled windows. You can tell the original builder spared no expense on creating this masterpiece, the woodwork, floors, and overall structure are magnificent. I only met one of the innkeepers (Warren), and he was warm, accommodating, and it was clear he wanted to make each guest's stay as comfortable as possible. Rooms and common areas are very clean, which is impressive as I can only imagine what it takes to clean this place. Breakfast was terrific, many selections to satisfy anyone's palate or diet restrictions. Offstreet parking is available on a first come, first serve basis, which is nearly unheard of in this particular neighborhood. The only possible downside (and this is certainly a matter of personal taste and I am being nitpicky) is that the place is packed to the gills with antique furniture. Rooms are huge as previously stated, but it seems they are trying to fill every square inch with furniture or other antique items. This did not in any way detract from the overall grandeur of the property, it again is simply a matter of personal aesthetic and may be indicative of my ignorance of Victorian style. Location is great, blocks from U of Penn. Public transportation is only a block away, along with numerous cab companies at your disposal. The property and home are truly lovely (as is their sweet dog) and I would definitely return!

Room Tip: There are two rooms that do share a common bathroom (all others have their own private baths), but t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rosate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Everything about The Gables speaks of the care that the owners invest in their B&B - and that extra effort makes the difference. The room was not only comfortable & clean - it felt like staying with a favourite grandmother. Breakfast was different every day, fresh and satisfying - and I'm not a breakfast person usually; just a cup of coffee and I'm on my way ... but at The Gables, it was just too good to miss. A true 'find' !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Havre, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This B&B is gorgeous, in a home built in 1889 and beautifully restored by the current owners, who are gracious and also prepare a fabulous breakfast. If you want to know more about their work to restore the house, they will tell you about it. It's a wonderful story. The house and all of its rooms are immaculate, and the yard is also beautifully maintained. It's an oasis that makes you think you're in the country.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Lovely Victorian B & B. Very clean & welcoming, large comfortable rooms, hot breakfast, & nice staff. Cozy porch! There is a large park a block away and the trolley runs right in front of B & B that takes you downtown to city center.

• Stayed September 2012
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent four nights at The Gables while attending a conference at the Philadelphia Conference Center. We stayed in the Victorian Room. We loved the house and how it was furnished with antiques, some of which were family heirlooms. I loved all the family photos that were displayed throughout. The lighting in the bathroom was perfect for applying makeup. We were able to see some of the other rooms and they were all splendidly appointed. The breakfast baked goods were delicious. My favorite was the apple walnut muffins. The Trolley stop is at the corner and a convenient way to get to downtown. Thank you Warren, Don, Oscar and staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Calabasas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

From the moment I arrived I was charmed. The Gables building itself is gorgeous and very spacious. I was very relieved when I saw it in person. It is actually much more spacious than it looks in the pictures and quite grand. The details in furnishings and decoration are delightful and are everywhere (but it does not feel claustrophobic because the house is HUGE and the décor is so tasteful).

The owners were completely thoughtful. I was going to just eat my own nuts for breakfast because I am so picky but they took the time to discuss my likes and dislikes and made a very gourmet breakfast that was perfect for me: an over-easy egg with tender asparagus and a homemade light sauce…for breakfast!! Seriously, who does that?!

The room I stayed in was very comfortable and quiet; even though it was a full house I didn't hear a peep out of anyone. The guests were very friendly and interesting and I got to know them over breakfast.

The Gables has free WiFi and a printer and fax machine. There is a lovely park about a block away and I jogged around it each morning. I never felt unsafe. There is a public transportation stop right in front of The Gables which I took every day. I never had to wait more than a few minutes. Make sure you spend some time with the owners as they are very kind and knowledgeable about the city.

Room Tip: I stayed right at the top of the first flight of stairs and it was lovely.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Gables Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!