“A beautifully restored landmark in West Philly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gables Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
The Gables Bed and Breakfast
4520 Chester Avenue, At South 46th St., Philadelphia, PA 19143 (University City)   |
Ranked #10 of 26 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Havre, Montana
“A beautifully restored landmark in West Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This B&B is gorgeous, in a home built in 1889 and beautifully restored by the current owners, who are gracious and also prepare a fabulous breakfast. If you want to know more about their work to restore the house, they will tell you about it. It's a wonderful story. The house and all of its rooms are immaculate, and the yard is also beautifully maintained. It's an oasis that makes you think you're in the country.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Lovely Victorian B & B. Very clean & welcoming, large comfortable rooms, hot breakfast, & nice staff. Cozy porch! There is a large park a block away and the trolley runs right in front of B & B that takes you downtown to city center.

• Stayed September 2012
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent four nights at The Gables while attending a conference at the Philadelphia Conference Center. We stayed in the Victorian Room. We loved the house and how it was furnished with antiques, some of which were family heirlooms. I loved all the family photos that were displayed throughout. The lighting in the bathroom was perfect for applying makeup. We were able to see some of the other rooms and they were all splendidly appointed. The breakfast baked goods were delicious. My favorite was the apple walnut muffins. The Trolley stop is at the corner and a convenient way to get to downtown. Thank you Warren, Don, Oscar and staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Calabasas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

From the moment I arrived I was charmed. The Gables building itself is gorgeous and very spacious. I was very relieved when I saw it in person. It is actually much more spacious than it looks in the pictures and quite grand. The details in furnishings and decoration are delightful and are everywhere (but it does not feel claustrophobic because the house is HUGE and the décor is so tasteful).

The owners were completely thoughtful. I was going to just eat my own nuts for breakfast because I am so picky but they took the time to discuss my likes and dislikes and made a very gourmet breakfast that was perfect for me: an over-easy egg with tender asparagus and a homemade light sauce…for breakfast!! Seriously, who does that?!

The room I stayed in was very comfortable and quiet; even though it was a full house I didn't hear a peep out of anyone. The guests were very friendly and interesting and I got to know them over breakfast.

The Gables has free WiFi and a printer and fax machine. There is a lovely park about a block away and I jogged around it each morning. I never felt unsafe. There is a public transportation stop right in front of The Gables which I took every day. I never had to wait more than a few minutes. Make sure you spend some time with the owners as they are very kind and knowledgeable about the city.

Room Tip: I stayed right at the top of the first flight of stairs and it was lovely.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Almere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We didn't know, but now we do!
In these hectic modern times with IPad, IPhone, computers and other electronic devices that keep you busy, it's good to be in a Victorian atmosphere with soft classical music at breakfast, fantastic silverware, an interior in which everything matches, good food: scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, sausages, heavy wheat bread and last but not least: butter you can spread on you bread right away, because it's really nice and soft (instead of hard so that you end up with holes in your bread..........)
Thanks Don and Warren for a wonderful 4 nights stay!!

Room Tip: We slept in Blue Willow, just a little more room than the other rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockaway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Let me just start the review by saying I can only comment on the accommodations, not the food. I only stayed the one night, and had to leave early, so I can't comment on the breakfast. As a vegan I'm pretty used to just taking my food along with me, anyhow.

I loved the design and architecture of the house and really enjoyed my room. I had a comfortable sleep and thought things were actually surprisingly quiet for the location. I thought the neighborhood was older and a bit rundown, but I didn't feel scared going to and from the b and b.

Overall I thought this was a pleasant experience and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Newark, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I booked a room here for one night and as I was driving towards it, I noticed the neighborhood was extremely run down, homes were not taken care of and people were just "hanging" around on the streets doing nothing. I was hoping as I got closer, things would change and it would get better. It didn't. I felt very unsafe and it was straight up ghetto. It might be nice inside, but I felt so unsafe, I drove right by and called to cancel my stay and of course they still charged me $150.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Gables Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!