“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gables Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
The Gables Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added The Gables Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
4520 Chester Avenue, At South 46th St., Philadelphia, PA 19143 (University City)   |
Ranked #10 of 27 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Calabasas, California
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

From the moment I arrived I was charmed. The Gables building itself is gorgeous and very spacious. I was very relieved when I saw it in person. It is actually much more spacious than it looks in the pictures and quite grand. The details in furnishings and decoration are delightful and are everywhere (but it does not feel claustrophobic because the house is HUGE and the décor is so tasteful).

The owners were completely thoughtful. I was going to just eat my own nuts for breakfast because I am so picky but they took the time to discuss my likes and dislikes and made a very gourmet breakfast that was perfect for me: an over-easy egg with tender asparagus and a homemade light sauce…for breakfast!! Seriously, who does that?!

The room I stayed in was very comfortable and quiet; even though it was a full house I didn't hear a peep out of anyone. The guests were very friendly and interesting and I got to know them over breakfast.

The Gables has free WiFi and a printer and fax machine. There is a lovely park about a block away and I jogged around it each morning. I never felt unsafe. There is a public transportation stop right in front of The Gables which I took every day. I never had to wait more than a few minutes. Make sure you spend some time with the owners as they are very kind and knowledgeable about the city.

Room Tip: I stayed right at the top of the first flight of stairs and it was lovely.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Almere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We didn't know, but now we do!
In these hectic modern times with IPad, IPhone, computers and other electronic devices that keep you busy, it's good to be in a Victorian atmosphere with soft classical music at breakfast, fantastic silverware, an interior in which everything matches, good food: scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, sausages, heavy wheat bread and last but not least: butter you can spread on you bread right away, because it's really nice and soft (instead of hard so that you end up with holes in your bread..........)
Thanks Don and Warren for a wonderful 4 nights stay!!

Room Tip: We slept in Blue Willow, just a little more room than the other rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockaway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Let me just start the review by saying I can only comment on the accommodations, not the food. I only stayed the one night, and had to leave early, so I can't comment on the breakfast. As a vegan I'm pretty used to just taking my food along with me, anyhow.

I loved the design and architecture of the house and really enjoyed my room. I had a comfortable sleep and thought things were actually surprisingly quiet for the location. I thought the neighborhood was older and a bit rundown, but I didn't feel scared going to and from the b and b.

Overall I thought this was a pleasant experience and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Newark, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I booked a room here for one night and as I was driving towards it, I noticed the neighborhood was extremely run down, homes were not taken care of and people were just "hanging" around on the streets doing nothing. I was hoping as I got closer, things would change and it would get better. It didn't. I felt very unsafe and it was straight up ghetto. It might be nice inside, but I felt so unsafe, I drove right by and called to cancel my stay and of course they still charged me $150.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I choose the Garden Room at The Gables for the location and price. Both of those aspects were fine. It was a 15 minute walk from Training for Change where I was doing a week-long conference. I had a rocky first night. The house is huge and gorgeously renovated. But the young woman who checked me in seemed surprised to see me and uncomfortable with my arrival. We had an awkward interaction that mostly consisted of her staring at me. She was unable to answer basic questions about the house, beyond the year it was built. The house has only window units in the bedroom and it was very warm in the hallways and common areas. It was in the 90s my entire visit. Despite the fact that the they knew my arrival time within two hours, the A/C hadn't been turned on and it was broiling in there.

The tv is tiny, set in the wardrobe and fairly old. That wasn't a problem for me, because I brought my laptop for entertainment and the free wifi worked very well. However, I had a rough first night on a painfully hard bed. I spoke with the owner in the morning about it, and while he was unable to move me to another room he added a mattress pad to the bed. With a couple of blankets on top of the mattress, it was bearable for the rest of my trip. He checked with me my second morning to see if it was okay, which I really appreciated.

My room was pleasantly decorated, larger than I expected and had lots of diffused light. The decor was Victorian but came to the edge of being fussy without actually toppling over. There were lace curtains, for example, rather than heavy drapes. And only 3 vases of dried/fake flowers. The blinds did not come all the way down the window so it doesn't get very dark in the room. The light in the morning would be very romantic, although it was mostly just irritating for me. I didn't have any problems with noise, but the door did have an inch gap at the bottom. The curtains where hung around the air conditioner with large safety pins, which didn't really match the rest of the lovely decoration.

The breakfast was a buffet during the week, with a plated option on the weekend. There was usually ham or sausage, a sweet baked dish, a sweet pastry, fruit, bread (alternately sweet and not), a savory baked dish, plain yogurt, and cold cereal. I think there were also hardboiled eggs one morning. It was all fine, if a bit on the sweet side. They did not ask if I had any dietary restrictions either when I made the reservations or when I checked in. That's very unusual for B&Bs, especially since a vegan would have found it impossible to eat most of the food. They have a refrigerator for guests to use, and its stocked with sodas for $.50. However, I put an uneaten pint of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer and it disappeared in less than 24 hours. :(

Overall, I felt like this was a good value. I agree with the previous reviewer that the owners were not visibly around much, but since they did everything I asked I can't really complain. The two blocks west felt a little sketchy walking home late at night, but otherwise the neighborhood felt very safe: lovely houses to look at and good restaurants on Baltimore Ave. The house seemed fairly clean. While the housekeeper sometimes forgot to restock a toiletry, replace a towel, or remove the hair from the shower..it was never forgotten for more than a day. The common areas seemed well cared for. I probably wouldn't stay here again, just because there are other places in the area that I'd like to try, but this is a solid choice for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
York, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

After reading the positive reviews and promising website, my expectations were high. I was very disappointed. I am astonished that this property scores high ratings. Hosts were hardly present, were unavailable for questions about the area, did not ask once during my two-night stay if I needed anything. My room was poorly lit, the furnishings dusty and worn; the couch in the room had a tear that revealed its stuffing, the electric window candle was secured with visible duct tape. The bathroom surfaces and floor were dusty, there was hair in the shower stall, and the spigot handle was cracked and partially missing. The window air conditioner was intrusively loud. Nearly empty coffee cup left in the room 9:30 a.m. was still there when I returned 4:00 p.m. Hallways and stairways not air conditioned. Prepared breakfast sat out for 1.5+ hours; thus, milk was barely cool, cut fresh fruit was mushy, baked dish was cool by the time I ate breakfast. I would not return and would never recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chesterfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We just spent a weekend in The Gables on 4520 Chester Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19143 and it was just wonderful! It is a victorian manor home and everything inside and outside is just immaculate! Warren Cederholm was the Innkeeper who took care of us and he was just superb. Our room was a throw back to an earlier age and with all the antiques and the canopy bed, we could not have asked for more. The attention to detail caught us by complete surprise--everything was there! If you forgot it, it was there! The breakfast is homemade and the dining area is cozy and quite beautiful just as the rest of the home is. If you go there, we hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Victorian Suite which has a mini-sun room. I just loved it!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Gables Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!