“Luxury hotel, good location and value, rooms are somewhat dated” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia

You added Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Logan Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #22 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
w0rldtraveler007
“Luxury hotel, good location and value, rooms are somewhat dated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

From the exterior, this hotel is unassuming and understated - typical of many Four Seasons Hotels, but the lobby and interior corridors are opulent and clean. The staff are extremely friendly and the location is excellent for both business and leisure travelers. The rooms are simple and nice, but the bathrooms are a bit dated (for example, while the shower was nice, the shower head was surprisingly simple given the hotel). The bed was excellent. My only complaint about the room would be the lack of ability to make coffee on demand - for a hotel with nearly anything at ones disposal, the ability to make coffee in ones room seems like an oversight.

In a hotel where many guests are in formal attire, it was surprising to see drunk people wandering the hotel with open bottles of Bud Light dragging their children through the halls and lobby.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I stayed at this property with my husband in February 2010. We've been to many 5-star hotels before, including other Four Seasons properties. This property does not compare to those; to me it felt more like a business hotel than a leisure hotel. Perhaps that is what it is meant for, and if you're traveling for business the hotel is great! However, my husband and I were looking for a luxurious hideaway for our first Valentine's celebration as a married couple and it just felt like something was missing. The hotel is beautiful and the service was great. The hotel's restaurant food was great as well! There was not much in terms of food and activities outside the hotel in the near vicinity though. Overall, a great trip but just not an A++++ property like other Four Seasons I've been to.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I just returned from a long weekend at the Four Seasons (Philadelphia) with my wife and two young children. As a very frequent traveler (typically for business purposes), I've stayed at a lot of hotels including other competitive set hotels (i.e. Ritz Carlton, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, etc.). This however, was my first experience with the Four Seasons brand and unfortunately my experience was not commensurate with my expectations.

The positives:
The property in and of itself is very nice, clean, and well-appointed. The Sunday Brunch at the Fountain Restaurant is excellent (great selection and food quality). Cookies and milk brought to the room on the first night of stay for the children. Crib (not Pack-n-Play) in room and "diaper genie" in bathroom upon arrival (a huge plus if you've ever had to travel with children in diapers).

The negatives:
I found the bathrooms somewhat smaller than some of the competitive set's and there was not a separate shower nor soaking tub or his/her sinks (our room was an "Executive Suite"). More importantly with this caliber of hotel is the expected level of service and hospitality and while there were some staff members who were very service-oriented, the majority weren't on par with what I have come to expect with other 4 and 5 star hotels. I felt the staff was willing to try to meet expectations, but sadly never motivated to exceed them. For example, on the second night of our stay the housekeeper assigned to our room came for turndown service at 9:45pm and woke our children who had been asleep since 8pm (she knew however we had small children as she had been in our room the night before helping us set up the pullout couch so that we could put the kids to bed circa 7:30pm) - This was probably the most frustrating and disappointing experience of our stay. When coming and leaving the hotel, we were rarely greeted and often no one opened the front doors for us (our hands were usually full with stroller, children, etc.) even though there were always staff members around and usually they weren't busy (just seemed to be a lack of attention to visitors coming and going). On another occasion, I asked the front desk if they had any diaper wipes and they informed me they did not, but could direct me to a Walgreen's. Again, not really a big deal and this will probably sound as if I'm coming across as being "entitled", but I've stayed at other hotels where in similar situations, they have left the premises to fetch goods and have gone above and beyond to be of service (isn't this what you really pay a premium for anyway?). In a nutshell, the overall service was a disappointment.

Useful Information:
The location of the property is on the edge of what I would consider a prime location. On one hand, it has a great view of the fountain in Logan Square and is very conveniently located to the Franklin Institute; however, once you cross Vine St., there is virtually nothing within walking distance in terms of restaurants, attractions, shopping, etc. On my next visit for the aforementioned reasons, I'd probably try The Rittenhouse or Sofitel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I was attending a one day seminar in Philadelphia and chose to stay at Four Seasons,partly because the seminar was a block away.
I have stayed at many Four Seasons properties worldwide and if I had to rank this one, it would get a rating of 6 out of 10. It is a bit further away and about 20-30 minutes walk to the Independence Hall and other historic sites. However, the location is very peaceful and pretty. Parking is expensive at almost $50/night but most garages around the area charge close to the same without unlimited access/24 hrs. The staff are good, especially at the restaurant. I found the concierge to be reserved and not exceptionally helpful. We were upgraded to a suite which was very large. However, the bathroom was average in size and condition. Also, the elevator is at one corner of hotel and you stand a good walk to reach half of the rooms. Ours was the very last one. We also had dinner at the famous Fountain Restaurant and truly enjoyed the food and service. Breakfast is OK, not great. There are coffee shops nearby for breakfast. We did not use the Spa but checked it out. The Spa's reception area was noisy with kids and families using the pool (entrance of which is right at the Spa's reception).
If you find a good deal or a fan of Four Seasons, stay here. Otherwise, Ritthenhouse is closer to most sightseeing and comparable as far as service and rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Bethesda, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We stay here about once a year when we take a family trip to Philly. It is definitely one of the most comfortable hotels I've ever stayed in. The beds are so comfortable, they're hard to leave. Location is great--close to the main museums, but walkable to most of the downtown attractions.

Service is great. Welcome gift and milk and cookies for the kids. The pool was a little crowded on a holiday weekend, but still great to have. Concierge was knowledgable. The decor is more classic than modern, and I was told the hotel does not have rooms with separate tub and shower. Also, most of the second floor rooms have no view. But all in all, I love this hotel and look forward to our yearly visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Clearly I am in the minority among TripAdvisor reviewers of this hotel, but we were not so impressed with the Four Seasons in Philadelphia.

We travel to Philadelphia several times a year and typically stay at the Rittenhouse. This past weekend, however, the Rittenhouse was completely booked so we had to look elsewhere. The Four Seasons was offering a great deal--stay 2 nights, get the 3rd night free--so we decided to try it.

PROs:
-very friendly staff, especially the door staff and the housekeepers
-immaculately clean room and bathroom, serviced twice daily
-lush towels and sheets
-lots of light in room

CONs:
-location--it's in kind of a no-man's land, and we got really tired of walking back and forth to the more interesting parts of town (this was a MAJOR con in our opinion, though maybe if you are traveling for business the location is okay)
-walls are paper thin, and doors might as well be non-existent for all the noise they block out
-valet parking is expensive (I can't remember if it is over $30 or over $40)
-the highly touted view leaves a lot to be desired--our courtyard view was disappointing
-small bathroom with little vanity space
-no free internet in room and no room for negotiation about it--I HATE this kind of nickel and dime-ing

We just didn't feel this hotel lived up to the Four Seasons reputation. After spending as many nights as we have at the Rittenhouse, where rooms are incredibly spacious, bathrooms are huge and plush, and we feel treated like valued individuals, not just occasional guests, our expectations have gotten pretty high and the Four Seasons just didn't meet them. Apart from the location, there is certainly nothing bad about this hotel, just nothing exceptional, either.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

My husband and traveled with our 3 young children and booked a suite that had plenty of space, was nicely furnished and clean. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable about the city and accommodated every request we had. The pull out bed had a thin mattress and exposed springs but when we realized on the 2nd out of 4 nights that we should complain, a new mattress was promptly provided. This is all very typical what you would expect at the Four Seasons.

However, what we did not like- We felt like the restaurant staff from host to waiter disliked us being there at the two breakfasts we ate. We were with young kids, but the cafe is located in what is supposed to be a family friendly hotel and our twin newborns slept the whole time. The food was incredible but we had a disappointing yet pricey dining experience. We also did not love the location of the hotel. It is not really within easy walking distance from anything we did- all the various shopping areas, historic area and the Please Touch Childrens' Museum.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia? Share your experiences!