“Impeccable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia

You added Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Logan Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #25 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Moorestown, New Jersey
“Impeccable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The adage is true: "you get what you pay for." From the moment you arrive, you are treated like royalty. My wife and I were there for just one night, but it was delightful, including brunch the next day. We have been to the Four Seasons in Philadelphia many times, but usually for dinner at The Fountain restaurant. Whatever their vetting and screening process is for new hires, it works. I'm sure they have a rigorous training program too. For the extra money, it is worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view overlooking the parkway. My wife and I were nicely dressed and we very f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael N, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear pnelson406,

We do have fantastic employees! Thanks for noticing...

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Tavernier, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I read some mixed reviews and had mixed feelings about staying, but I am so happy I chose to trust the Four Seasons brand; my husband and two daughters went for 4 days over President's week; we had a great time. They bend over backwards to accomodate children--they had a movie room with cotton candy, bean bags to sit on, candy, etc. It was just delightful. "Joel" in the lounge restaurant was wonderful and very accomodating--personally brought my girls ice cream and cookies. The food is excellent,and cooked to your specific requirements. The pool area is beautiful, as was the locker room. Frankly, I was suprised to read the complaints; my husband and I are definitely "tough customers," but we love this hotel, and would stay again without hesitation. Thanks for everything Joel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dawn B,

Thank you for the great comments! We're making strides to address our renovation needs but the focus on our guests is the most important. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the movie room, candy cart and Joel in the bar. Next time, you'll have to make cookies with the chef!

Look forward to seeing you again soon,

Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is so well run! Really, it was a pleasure staying here. We came just to get away for a long weekend. It is at the high end of our budget, but in the end, the experience is so terrific, it is a really great value.
The concierge (Kerry) was so helpful with making reservations and suggesing things to do. (Definitely go to the Barnes Foundation- get tickets ahead). The waitstaff in the hotel restaurants were all outstanding. The food was superb and the amenities for the NYTimes to the spa were really great. Plus, the hotel has a perfect location at Logan Square. Near all the things on our list to see/do. For getaways when the quality of the hotel plays a part, this was well worth the money.

Room Tip: Quiet was important for us; we just asked for a quiet room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ChristiaD, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Lynne M,

Thank you very much for your glowing review! We are thrilled that your experience was memorable. That is what we strive for every day! We are happy you made the most of your time in Philadelphia and that our Concierge were helpful in planning your activities. Isn't the Barnes fabulous?

Please come back and visit us again soon!

Christia
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

First, the hotel needs mayor renovation! carpets are worn and wall paper is coming off the walls, there is a noticeable shortage of staff, I will point out at the same time that the employees will go out of their way to accommodate guests needs even when they seem to be completely overwhelmed. The restaurant seems to be very unorganized and again, short on staff, food was great. another plus was the bedding.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michael N, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear RachelMNewYork,

Thank you for submitting your feedback regarding your stay. I'm sorry to hear that your stay wasn't perfect. We pride ourselves on perfection and plan on getting the rooms to that level later this year.

Please let me know when you'll be traveling back to Philadelphia and I'd like to personally assist you with the reservations.

Marlton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We escaped over the bridge for a relaxing weekend - we typically dont stay in Philadelphia considering it has some of the least luxurious hotels for a major city. We have stayed at the Rittenhouse and were not impressed, call us picky.

Enter the four seasons. We had a nice room on the 5th floor overlooking the fountain and BF parkway (great view). While some carpet wear may be found in high traffic lobby or hallway areas, the room was immaculate, fully updated and luxurious. Not over the top, but very nice. The difference was the staff - from manager to housekeeping, 5-star all the way and the hotel manager shoud be commended for his efforts of promoting unpretentious elegance and service. The 4 seasons motto for success is 'treat others the way you'd want to be treated', and that is evident at this property. Beds comfortable, if a bit soft though. I would return to stay here in a heartbeat.

To be fair, below areas are food/beverage related, NOT hotel:
Now for the areas of improvement SEPARET OF THE HOTEL: While Fountain restaurant had a wonderful buffet and alcarte breakfast, dinner was mediocre at best. Seafood paella (deconstructed) was freezing cold when served, lobster sweet and tasty, the rest of the dish forgettable and ill conceived. Wife had the filet / short rib duo and again, weirdly concevied - why not focus on doing one thing great? The short rib = delicious, the filet = terribly overcooked and very average, not to mention way too much beef on the plate. Appetizers better than mains, deserts to die for, which was the high point. We were too far into the meal to complain. Service was ok, nothing more. Waters never re-filled until we asked. Unpretentous service which was good, yet we have had better at chain restaurants. Ingredients never explained to us upon presentation and dining room not at all near capacity. I'd rate the restaurant on this night at 3 star out of 5. Another food/beverage area of improvement is the bar - desperately in need of new mixologist and I mean move whoever is there now. You need a glossary to understand the cocktail menu, and even that doesn ot help tell you what to expect in terms of flavor. First set of drinks went back as they were not drinkable, our next round of $17 pear martinis had something added to them that turned the taste into a chemical flavor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tomas V, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear SRAMRN,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. While I am pleased to learn that you liked your room and especially our service that we are known for I am certainly concerned to read about your Fountain Restaurant and Swann Lounge and Bar experience.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy most of the dinner items with the exception of the short ribs and desserts. I apologize for not providing an excellent service that every guest rightfully expects. I am also disappointed to learn that you did not like our cocktail menu neither the flavor of our pear martini.
I would be very pleased if you could spare few minutes of your valuable time and discuss your experience with me over the phone. Would you be so kind and e-mail me your phone number?
Thank you again for such a valuable feedback.

Tomas Vlasek
Director of Food&Beverage
tomas.vlasek@fourseasons.com
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We visit here several times a year for a getaway weekend & are never disappointed. The service is truly outstanding however they could use a larger check-in area as it is very cramped. Breakfast in the Swan Restaurant is always excellent!! As other contributors have mentioned, it is time for an upgrade in certain areas as the hallways do need some work & the TV cable is just awful but really—you don’t visit the Four Seasons to watch TV. However, the rooms are well appointed & the bedding is fantastic. Pool area is very small & can be noisy & this weekend—the water didn’t look all the clean either. Spa personnel are truly great but locker room area & Spa reception areas are cramped & due for an upgrade. Gym is small but very serviceable. A special hats-off to their on staff driver, Haile (I hope I spelled that right) who is a true gentleman and always provides us with superb service when we visit.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the circle is a must!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AA_Armstrong, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
It’s great to hear that we have become your go-to spot for Philadelphia getaways! Thank you for your compliments about our staff, specifically about our spa team and Haile, we will certainly share your feedback with them.. As you may know, we are planning a renovation for late in the year, so look forward to providing you with several physical improvements for your future stays. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Hershey, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 2-night stay at the Four Seasons for a belated Valentine's Day celebration. In fact, staying overnight here was also a belated Christmas gift from my husband as I have been wanting to do this for quite a long time. We have only stayed at one Four Seasons property before, the Four Seasons Wailea in Maui, which was, by far, one of the most gorgeous properties I've seen and may have been the nicest room I've ever stayed in (definitely the nicest bathroom!). Yes, probably my expectations were too high for the Philadelphia property, but almost all Four Seasons locations get top reviews!

To be fair and give you the good points: 1. The staff was was very attentive and friendly - in true Four Seasons style. I must give major kudos to the Fountain Restaurant staff, as they were EXCELLENT and made our two breakfasts there a fine dining experience. The food was fantastic, too....make sure to try the "Toads in a Hole": the most interesting take on a smoked salmon "eggs benedict" type entree. 2. The location of the hotel was great - short walk to Barnes Foundation and the entire museum campus as well as easy driving access from Rt. 76/476. (also would be a very short cab ride from the train station.) 3. The public area/lobby was very lovely with fresh flowers and well-maintained.

The cons: What was my major disappointment and why I gave this a "3" rating? The room. I would not expect to pay Four Seasons prices (yes, less than we paid in Maui, but still not cheap!) and get a room with carpet stains by the window and a bed skirt that had multiple white stains on it as well as being frayed and just looking old. I would expect to see better in a Hampton Inn or a Holiday Inn Express!! The king bed itself was in need of a new mattress, as it sloped down on either side....yes, my husband and I had to sleep closer to the middle as to not be bothered the vertical slope! The wood wall trim was also becoming loose in one corner above the window. While we had a nice view onto the parkway, otherwise the room was very average and in no way what I would consider "luxurious." Maybe a possible explanation for the room issue was the most number of dogs and small children (under the age of 5) we have ever seen staying at one hotel...there is nothing at all wrong with that, but a fine hotel should know that it needs to take extra care/cleaning attention when these situations occur.

My husband and I travel often, and we are no strangers to other high-end hotel chains such as the Ritz Carlton, Fairmont and Waldorf-Astoria. Sadly, with so many other hotel options in Philadelphia, we will not stay here again. I regret not saving the money to stay at the brand new Four Seasons in Baltimore.

Dear kidzeyedoc,

Thank you for submitting comments regarding your stay and we appreciate the insight. We plan on addressing the room issues in our renovation this year and we hope that our guests will enjoy the new feel.

The holiday weekend brings many local families and children and I'm sorry the experience wasn't what you expected. I'd like to chat with you further if possible and can be reached at the information below.

michael.nenner@fourseasons.com

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia? Share your experiences!