“Grand Lady of Philly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Logan Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Third Night Free!
Ranked #20 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“Grand Lady of Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Been at numerous corporate events here since its opening almost 30 years ago, and stayed here many, many times although not recently. This has always been my favorite hotel in Philly. But haven't stayed here in 6 years until this past weekend. It did not disappoint. Starting at the top, this is a Four Seasons. Service was impeccable from the moment we pulled up to the door - doormen, bellmen, front desk staff. Our room was large, comfortable, nicely appointed and quiet - we did choose a room facing the courtyard - rooms facing the Logan Circle Fountain do have a great view, but do get traffic noise from the Parkway. The Fountain restaurant and Swann Lounge are wonderful for dining and "hanging out". The location is located right at the base of the museum district, but is easily walkable for all center city attractions without being in the midst of all the traffic. And, did I mention that the service is wonderful? OK, if I had to make one criticism, it is that although they did a wonderful update of the hotel 2 years ago, the shower head was still decrepit. Can't believe they missed that detail. Oh well.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ekrem K, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed all of our services. We greatly appreciate the warm remarks regarding our staff and the suggestion about the shower head, we will be sure to share this with our team. We hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Ekrem Koroglu Assistant Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Business brought me to Philadelphia from California. The convention pricing on this hotel was amazing. I stayed for 7 nights. Service was fabulous - the bellmen gave me, and my friends who were not at the hotel, full size umbrellas as we walked out the door because rain was imminent, the bellman handed a towel and water bottle to my boss as he came in from a run, the concierges were incredibly helpful. There was coffee and tea in the lobby each morning and ice tea and flavored water every afternoon.

My sole complaint is the cost of breakfast, but it was a good breakfast.

Mid week I started calculating how much it would cost to live there - and it was not too outrageous given the beautifully appointed room, clean sheets and towels every day, and the fabulous service. Of course that was just a dream.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ekrem K, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We realize that travelling for business is never an easy thing, and it is tough to be far away from home. We try our best to be your home away from home. You are the reason that we are here, so we will do whatever it takes to make your stay as seamless as possible.
Please feel free to contact me directly at ekrem.koroglu@fourseasons.com should you require any assistance making extended stay accommodations.

Best regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you are looking for the best luxury hotel in Philly than the Four Seasons should be at the top of your list. The service is amazing and the Sunday brunch at the Swann Lounge is the best in the city.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with small kids in a crib or separate room ask for a suite that has the bathroo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tomas V, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear FSodaMom,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our Sunday brunch in the Swann Lounge. Our team puts a lot of effort to create unforgettable experience.

We hope to see you and your family back soon.

Thank you again for such great comments.

Tomas Vlasek
Director of Food and Beverage
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have stayed here every December for the last 3 years for business and will probably be staying here again in 2012. It's 5 star accommodations, the amenities are the best, the staff is fantastic (1 particular year I was sick and housekeeping brought me a tea kettle, tea and honey), the rooms beautifully appointed... the beds... eh. Truthfully, the beds at the Embassy Suites across the street are more comfortable - go figure. The bathrooms here are divine and I always make sure to save time for a long soak in one of them. The restaurant down stairs is great - definitely try the Philly roll appetizers. Really? What can you say bad about the Four Seasons?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your kind words. I was pleased to read that our staff member in housekeeping was able to provide extra comfort while you were not feeling well during your visit. I must admit that the Philly Cheesesteak spring roll is one of my favorites on our menu as well. In regards to the beds, we certainly offer some options (firmer, softer, etc.). Please email me your preference to ekrem.koroglu@fourseasons.com and I will make sure your profile is updated accordingly so we have that ready for you on your next visit.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife, dog and I recently stayed here for a long weekend. We had a fountain-view room on the sixth floor. The view rivals anything in Europe whether it be Paris, Rome or Geneva. The staff is very personable, while maintaining a strong sense of professionalism. The room was very clean and had a comfy bed. We used room service the entire weekend because we did not want to leave our elderly dog alone. The food was perfect and always delivered within 30 minutes. The room service menu is extensive enough please anyone's taste.

If Philadelphia is in your travel plans do yourself a favor and stay here. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Go for a Fountain-View room. You won,t regret it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tomas V, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you very much for posting your review!

We were pleased to read that not only you and your wife but also your dog enjoyed the stay with us over the weekend.
We are very proud of your staff as their professional and personalized service at the same time truly makes a difference. Our room service and culinary team will be pleased to know that you liked the food, service and timeliness.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is very important to us.

We hope to see you, your wife and your dog soon.
Tomas

Tomas Vlasek
Director of Food&Beverage
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel several times - this time however was for 5 days & it was at capacity! On this stay one of our party needed medical assistance & Jessica on Concierge was extremely helpful. & arranged the Doctor consult as well as the prescription pick up - very efficient despite the fact the hotel was FULL & the staff under pressure! The Room Service was amazing & the food was exactly what we ordered & was like being in the The Fountain Restaurant - the wait was longer than usual because of the number of people staying in the hotel but still this did not impact the food quality. The Assistant Front Office Manager Chris Beck made our stay especially nice by keeping an eye on our stay the whole time & making sure we had everything we needed - thanks for the personal attention Chris. We had a 7 party dinner in The Fountain & even though we didn't have a reservation the staff made us feel welcome & accommodate us without any problem - the food was delicious - beautifully presented & the staff very attentive & polite - a great evening! We would definitely recommend this 5 star property - a true Four Seasons hotel with a fabulous Spa! We also have to make mention of how great the doormen were!

• Stayed October 2012
We are delighted to hear that you had a true Four Seasons experience during your last visit. We strive to exceed our guests expectations on a daily bases, and it is very rewarding to hear stories like yours that inspires us. Both Jessica and Chris were thrilled that you recognized their outstanding effort. We very much look forward to having you back again sometime soon.

Kind Regards,
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returnrd from a weekend there. I stayed years ago and remember liking the suite. This time I was in a regular room. I commend the hotel for being flexible and taking on hurricane victims, and naturally minor glitches on a packed weekend are expected. However,I didn't feel the hotel was up to FS standards for unrelated items: it needs renovation, and smooth out some customer service issues. I was there on a low season rate, so in the end it was ok, but if I paid $500 and up, it would've been not worth it.
1. Location - is ideal for museums, and not far from city hall. ALso short walk from the station.

2. Lobby is much larger than the DC FS, but it looks like a large conference hotel lobby, with no nice furniture and odd plants in the middle. They really need to update it to FS standards.
3. Rooms- I was told superior and deluxe are the same, except for the view. If you look at photos the rooms look relatively modern. Actually, the three superior rooms we saw (king and double) all had these tall wooden rather ugly headboards. Our first room (we switched due to noise from children) had an old carpet with a stain. The second room, same category, had a nice new carpet.
4. Bathrooms- huge disappointment. Not FS or Ritz. No shower, just tub with curtain and toilet next to it. Very, very average.
5. Very thin walls- one can hear everything in the hallway and next door. Rooms that have a door into an adjacent room are even louder, so ask for a room that isn't joined with anything else.
6. Restaurant/lounge- If the restaurant fills up completely during non-dinner meals, the management absolutely should notify guests by an email before arrival, or, at least, on check -in to book breakfast (especially if it is included in the package) or afternoon tea. When I checked in they informed me about the breakfast being included, but made no mention of needing to make reservation. I came up in the evening to the empty front desk to ask about time for breakfast. Again, he gave me the time, looked up my account, but made no mention of needing to make reservation.
I understand the hotel was busy. However, I have never anywhere had to make reservation for breakfast that is included in the package. When we showed up to breakfast, towards the end of the breakfast hour, they were about to turn us down becuase they said it was full. We made mention of being hotel guests, of having it included, they really couldn't do anything...
Jonathan the maitre d' at Swann lounge was stellar and saved the experience.
Jonathan came up, and found us a table (we'd met him during afternoon tea experience). Afternoon tea- was fully booked when we asked around noon. We returned to check on the wait list at 3:15, and while the first lady we asked when to check and never came back, Jonatahn again had a no-show and was able to seat us. The decor in the lunge is also so-so, although window views are nice.

7.quality of food - breakfast was good. I liked the eggs benedict. Afternoon tea ($36 with prosecco), however, was pretty pathetic. Compared to my review of NYC places, this was very disappointing. Sandwiches were tasteless and not great. They do serve them a la carte as well, for $15 for four sandwiches, so not even worth it. I originally wanted only sandwiches, but glad I didn't do a la carte. There would've been four rather poor finger sandwiches on the plate. I was glad to see that they refilled prosecco by the glass,as many places do not, but I also didn't like its quality. There is inexpensive prosecco like La Marca that one can do out there, and keep guests happy.

8. Pool/jacuzzi- they have a nice large jacuzzi and a pretty warm pool. It looked a little like a winter country club hang out, after the each club closes, but kids were well behaved. The changing area and lockers are so tiny, we could barely fit. Especially since they get a lot of kids, and they are in hte pool until 8 pm, they need to expand the changing area.

Room Tip: walls are thin- can hear everything in the hallway. Ask for rooms with no doors connecting to anothe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael N, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Annadaria3,

Thank you for the very detailed comments regarding your stay with us.

This was very tough week for us, due to the guests that were displaced from the Hurricane in the area. Our restaurants and rooms were busy and I'm sure that we weren't at our best. I'm sorry that everything wasn't perfect but we will learn from this experience to create a better experience in the future.

As it relates to our guest rooms, we're planning on doing some work this year to update the property and hope that you'll join us again.

Please contact me when you head back to Philadelphia or any other Four Seasons properties so I may assist in the reservation process.

Regards,

Michael Nenner
Hotel Manager
P: (215) 963-2742
E: michael.nenner@fourseasons.com

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia? Share your experiences!