“Not bad for outside the Big Apple” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hershel's East Side Deli

Hershel's East Side Deli
51 N 12th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19176 (Chinatown)
215-922-6220
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Texas
“Not bad for outside the Big Apple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Good corned beef and pastrami. Hand sliced and fresh. Very good tasting and very lean. Can't do much better

Visited September 2014

Bronx, New York
“A must have in the terminal!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

While in Philly, the night before I had a great Cheesesteak at Sonny's. I was craving a Bagel with Lox and Cream Cheese and read that Hershel's is the place to go. I went there and was pleasantly surprised. While waiting on the short line the selection got to me and I went from Bagel with lox to a Brisket Rueben. The Pastrami, Brisket and Corned Beef are sliced there right in front of you and I could not resist. I have always had corned beef Ruebens, but the Brisket was sooooo good. Honestly, one of the best sandwiches I have had. I do regret not getting the meat sampler, which gives you samples of the brisket, corned beef and pastrami. Service was friendly, informative and efficient. The sandwich itself was about $10 I think. I highly recommend this place while in Philly or at the Reading Terminal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Better than Katz! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

It's a good thing I bumped into this lady while looking around to find the best place to eat at Reading. I would return to the city just to have their pastrami again!
It was bursting with flavor and very juicy. No need for anything else. Just the pastrami on rye, please!!!

Boston, Massachusetts
“The real reason why I came to Philly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

While in Reading Terminal Market, I strongly advise you to visit Hershel's for a fresh hot pastrami sandwich! All sandwiches are made to order and you can literally see them take the pastrami out of the oven, sliced into an oversized portion of goodness placed onto 2 slices of rye with Swiss cheese & spicy mustard. If pastrami isn't your thing, you really can't go wrong with any of the other authentic Jewish Deli food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Pretty good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Headed here just a little bit after lunch, wandering around trying to find what to eat... when I just saw the different meats just sitting on the cutting boards... I just had to see what it was all about!

Being the normally indecisive eater I am, I opted for the meat sampler w/ slaw. Service was pretty fast, because they just slice off a rather generous portion of 3 meats: corned beef, brisket, and pastrami.

Eat meat was just so delicious and tasty, and practically melted in my mouth. I probably should have asked for a side roll or something, because this was just pure meat overload. I couldn't finished what I order so I ended up saving the leftovers for dinner! Well worth it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere