“New Year's Taste of Philly Food Tour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taste of Philly Food Tour

Taste of Philly Food Tour
12th Street and Filbert Street, Philadelphia, PA (City Center East)
215-545-8007
Website
Improve this listing
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
5 attraction reviews
“New Year's Taste of Philly Food Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family (2 adult children, dad and I) took the Taste of Philly Food Tour on New Year's Eve. We had a great time. Judy was our tour guide and she is a true Philadelphian in love with her city and more than willing to share her love and knowledge. The food tastings are always good (we've done 2 other tours with this company) and we highly recommend for anyone visiting Philadelphia. Judy made the tour special. My kids are looking forward to doing the Prohibition tour with Judy!

Visited December 2013

Gisborne, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
“Excellent mix of great food and interesting history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our tour guide was Judy - she is a passionate Philly girl and really made our Philly experience - her history 'lessons' we're informative and interesting (no boring bits!). The food was excellent - hard to pick a favorite but the tomato pie was to die for. Recommend doing this tour at the start of your trip to Philly - gives you a good feel for the city and where the best places are to eat and drink.

Visited December 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Way to Experience Reading Terminal Market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We took this tour as part of a girls' weekend to celebrate my sister's 40th birthday. It was such a great introduction to Reading Terminal Market, Philly foods, and Philly history in general. We all learned a lot and had fun. We enjoyed food samples throughout the tour and got a great recommendation for lunch. Yes, the samples were small, but that was appropriate. Our tour was small, so we didn't have some of the logistical problems other reviewers mentioned. We toured first thing in the morning; maybe that helped, too. At the end, the guide gave us a fabulous insider's guide to Philly dining that I have tucked away for future reference.

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati
11 attraction reviews
“Not the typical Food Tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We decided to try this food tour because we wanted to learn about Philly food and learn more about the Reading Terminal Market. Our guide was very hard to hear and spoke very quickly. We had a very large group of fifteen people and we often lost sight of her because she was smaller and were not sure which way to go. She would often begin talking before the entire group was able to gather around her. There were 5 bite sized samples...a spoon full of ice cream from the same cup as every one else in our group, same with the turtle soup. We also had a 1 1/2" square of scrapple and apple cake and two pieces of candy that she pulled out of her prop bag from a box that looked as though it had seen better days. I suppose I expected to taste a pretzel or sample a bite of cheesesteak, the two items that I associate with Philly. I realize that the tour was only $15.95 so I did not expect a lot of food. The tour size was way too large making it even more difficult to hear her. In a place like Reading Market a group of 8 people should be the maximum number. Our group was always in the way since there were so many of us. She gave us a good history of the Reading Terminal Market but my expectations were not met.

Visited October 2013
Portland, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
“Yummy fun in Philly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I took this tour with 2 other baby boomer aged women. Carolyn, the guide, is very knowledgeable. However her speech is rushed as though she is acting and has perhaps done this tour too many times. I understand how and why that happens but it could just use a bit less speed to be perfect. I thought we would have a larger quantity of food but I also understand that for $16 you don't get a meal.
The history of the market and the vendors was interesting.
There were only 3 of us and she called to confirm hinting that the group was too small and that she may cancel. I reminded her we had come from the west coast and were looking forward to the tour. So I am glad she agreed to do it for what may not have been a very profitable experience for her.

Visited October 2013
cookietollhouse, Owner at Taste of Philly Food Tour, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Firstgogirl:
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm sorry if I talked too fast for you! If told this at the time, I would have slowed down. (I know I can talk fast, having a lot I want to share about all the great foods in Philly and only limited time to talk about them!)
Still, I'm glad you generally found the tour interesting, yummy and fun!