“First time Tripadvisor has done me wrong!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“First time Tripadvisor has done me wrong!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

Number 1? I'm surprised! We are just back from two nights. We had two rooms. First, I must say that the service was good (for the most part). The front desk staff was generally eager to please - but much overworked. Many times they were away from the front desk taking things (water, shampoo, etc.) to guests. The hotel was interesting and unique in design. However, I do not believe it should have a #1 rating. I am not picky and travel quite a bit. This new hotel is showing wear and tear already. The toilet paper holder had come off the wall, so the roll of paper sat on our toilet - the hole in the wall unrepaired. The robe holder was the same - just a hole left in the wall and wallpaper. The baseboards were really dusty. The flat screen tv was nice, but all the cords were hanging from it which was messy and unsightly. My main complaint is that the rooms were EXTERMELY dark. I called the front desk to ask for a brighter room and he said the rooms were dark on purpose. Hu? Seriously, I couldn't read our map in full daylight with all the lights on in the room. The two windows were 3/4 covered by very thick dark blue (almost black) curtains and couldn't be opened wider to let in more light. The closed was in a corner that had NO light at all - almost pitc dark during the day. The above bed lights sometimes didn't work. The fake palm tree blocked any light that the covered windows let in. The refirgerator didn't keep anything cold and was really noisy at night. At 2am I pulled the refrigerator out if it's built in cabinet (which broke a fingernail) so that I could unplug it. The overhead air vents were loose and also very noisy. The fan in the bathroom (which comes on automatically when you turn on the lights) was SO loud that it kept me from enjoying my morning routine because it was so obtrusive - and couldn't be turned off unless you turned off the lights. On the morning of our check out the elevator was broken and we had to haul all our very heavy luggage down the stairs. When I asked the front desk clerk if there was anyone to help us because my husband has a bad back she simply said, "and I'm pregnant." She offered to see if any of "the ladies" (who I assume were the maids) could help. I decided to hoof it and do it myself. When we finally got our luggage outside (through the basement door) the door automatically locked and we wouldn't have been able to get back in the hotel so I had my young child stand there holding the door while we loaded the car. The wine and cheese reception was skimpy, and the front desk clerk was gone when we arrived and they keep the white wine locked in the wine cooler, so red was the only option. There was a small amount of cheese available, so I felt like I couldn't take more than one or two cubes because I wanted to leave enough for the other guests in the lobby. There were no beverage options for kids except for ice water. So, what did I like? Well, the location was good for walking to the Liberty Bell area and dining options. The overall feel was unique. Some of the staff was hard working and dedicated to trying to please the guests as best they could. The breakfast options were good - and on the morning that the elevator broke they brought in Dunkin' Donuts coffee and donuts because they couldn't get to their storage room in the basement. I love Dunkin' donuts coffee - so that was a fun option and shows that the staff did try to go out of their way to provide a good morning experience despite the inconvenience of the broken elevator.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

This is a small comfy hotel. You take the elevator to reception on the second floor. There's only one person at the desk at any time but each one we spoke to was very helpful. You use the room card to activate the elevator. Our room on the top floor had a big bathroom(shower only and strangely no curtain), good towels, robes, microwave, fridge, coffee maker. Too bad the safe was not working. We had bagels, juice, cereal, hot chocolate, tea in the small breakfast area next to reception. Utensils and plates are plastic but no problem for us. Free USA Today paper and free bottled water are available. There are 2 computers and a printer, all free. Market St/Septa station 3 blocks away, walked to the historic area and Rittenhouse Square. To top it off, got a good deal with travelzoo.com

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Had a noisy fan that wouldn't turn off in our first room, some trouble with mildew issues (my travel mate is sensitive and the building next door is derelict and moldy) in the second room, then we got moved to the top floor, where we had a little trouble with the heat becoming overwhelming. You would think that all of this would have earned the hotel a bad rating, but the service was fantastic - they were very attentive and eager to fix whatever went wrong. Helpful and full of advice. It was a real deal for the location - and just a lovely place to be while in Philly.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

I decided to book a room here since there was a great trate at travelzoo.com. It was very nice and we felt like we were in someone's house-hardwood floors, great furniture, really high ceilings, alarm clock with Ipod mount... The best thing was that when we arrived, we were told that we were the "guests of the day" and were greeted with a bottle of wine-perfect to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday! The next morning, the light breakfast in the lobby was just what we needed before hitting the road. Our only complaint would be the noise level-outside and in. The outside noise could not have been prevented (without installing new windows!), but in the early morning hours there were people having a very loud and long conversation in the lobby. Being only a few feet from the lobby, it was a little annoying. Try not to stay on the 2nd floor of the building! Also, parking was only $15 one block away if you were staying there (nice and cheap-24 hours, in and out allowed) AND there were such nice, comfy robes ready to go on our bed when we arrived!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Stayed at the Independent this past weekend, and could not have been happier. 1st time in PHL, so had no idea about location or hotels. Initially made a reservation at a chain hotel where I collect points, and so very glad that after research and other reviews, cxl'd that and made a reservation here. The travelzoo rate was excellent ($109 a night), and everythign was just about perfect with the hotel. Location is in a great spot, close to transportation, restaurants, and tourist sites (Liberty Bell, Society Hill, Reading Market, Museums, Italian Market, etc.). Greeted by name as I entered to register (was I the last to check in that day?) to a warm and welcoming lobby on the 2nd floor. Room was huge with everything you need (plasma TV, desk to work (wireless or able to plug in), couch, 2 dressers, even a robe. Design was great. Breakfast was basic but good (cereal, bagels, muffins, juice), and wine and cheese int eh evenings. For the things that can be improved: room is kind of dark-no over head lights. No light in the closet, so had to get on teh floor to open the safe, which didn't matter since it wasn't working anyway. Shower is great with dual head, but felt slippery, could have used some sort of rubber footing. Lamps on bed side tables were so far away, had to physically get up to turn off to get back in bed (is that really THAT bad of a thing?).
All in all a great place and no complaints. Everyone was nice, accomodating, and glad to be there and it showed. Will definitely be my 1st choice if ever back in Philadelphia.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
bangor, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

This place was fantastic. Better than any chain hotel and for the price, you can't beat it. They only have 24 rooms so you feel a bit to yourself, which I like.
The decor was perfect and the atmosphere was warm and cozy. The staff was also very personable. By the way, the beds were comfortable too!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC metro area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

I found this hotel on-line and read all the reviews and then decided to book the hotel for the weekend. What a great decision!! I really enjoyed my stay. The location was perfect. I was within walking distance of many sites, metro stops and cabs were plentiful. There were tons of restaurants to choose from and the atmosphere was colorful and eclectic. The staff of the hotel was friendly and extremely helpful. My room was beautiful and the bed very comfortable. I will definitely stay here again and will reccommened it to others. A wonderful place and fairly reasonalble price for Philadelphia.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!