“Good Customer Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

Save Saved
You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #12 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Brooklyn, New York
“Good Customer Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was a little wary about the my stay here. While at brunch to kill time before check-in, we received a phone call that the upgrade we had received was a mistake and we would have to revert to the smaller, original room reserved. Days before the trip we called to cancel the room because it was too small for our party. We were told we had been upgraded to a suite and so we cancelled our other room at another hotel. We called twice after that to confirm our room before our trip and were told each time we had a suite. So on the day of our arrival, to be minutes away, and told that we don't have a room large enough to fit everyone was disappointing and frustrating. We were told they'd work with us when we arrived. Upon arrival, the manager Erik met us on the elevator and showed us a room that was able to fit comfortably. It was a real pleasure to have it all sorted out before we got there. I thought their continental breakfast options were plentiful.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Charelle L,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

While I am very sorry to hear that we made a mistake with assigning your guest room, I am very pleased that we were able to offer you a solution that you found satisfactory. Erik is a great asset to our company and a favorite among guests, and I will be sure to pass along your comments to him. I'd love for you to be able to enjoy the luxury of one of our suites, so please feel free to contact me directly for a future reservation so we can make that happen. Take care, and come visit us soon!

Front Desk Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
holmdel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice location. If you're driving, look for their stay and park free package, although parking across the street from the hotel is only $27, as opposed to the $40+ at the pricier hotels. You'll park down the street with the package, but they have a loading/unloading area directly in front of the hotel. I only wish the people who obviously weren't staying at the hotel would stay out of that zone. Just make sure you look at your receipt when you check out, they charged me for parking even though the receipt had my package listed (they took it right off, but I'm not in the habit of going over receipts).
During the week, they have wine and cheese in the lobby, which is nice, but there are so many great bars with happy hour in the area to try, I almost wish I didn't waste my time, having a glass of mediocre red.
It was a really nice touch to have the continental breakfast delivered, only wish they'd just knock and leave it at my door instead of knocking 'til I answered. Who wants to answer the door in your sleep attire - if you even wear any?! Went to the cafe down the street that was highly recommended by others, but wasn't hungry enough to get through even half of their enormous portions. Better idea would've been to take the short walk over to the Reading Terminal Market, and graze.
Quality L'Occitane toiletries, great shower.
My only complaint, and it's a pretty big one for me. Their atrium lobby carries and amplifies any conversations in the lobby. When I'm sightseeing, I like to take a late afternoon nap before heading out for the evening. It was impossible - it sounded like people were shouting right outside my door. The staff is so friendly, it was non-stop conversations! I'd recommend the staff only assign the rooms around the atrium when the hotel is full.
Overall, I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for anything away from atrium unless you're a heavy sleeper
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniel V, Front Desk Supervisor at The Independent, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear cmr57,

I'm very glad to hear that your stay with us was so enjoyable that you are certain you will return the next time you are in Philadelphia. The 'Park Here' package is definitely the way to go, as parking in our city can be expensive and tricky. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of this special offer, and also that you found our front desk staff to be friendly. However, I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with noise in our lobby. Please contact me prior to making your next reservation, and I will personally make sure you are in a quieter room. I'm also sorry you weren't satisfied with having to answer the door for your complimentary in-room breakfast. Due to sanitary issues, we can't leave a breakfast basket on the floor in the hallway, but we are always happy to hold your breakfast in the lobby for you until you inform us you would like it delivered. I hope you will return to see us again soon!

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Independent Hotel is conveniently located within easy walking distance to historic sights, public transportation, restaurants and theaters. The staff at the hotel are eager to please and go above and beyond expectations in accommodating special needs. We enjoyed a feel of luxury at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Room 205, just off the main lobby, is large and luxurious except for its small shower stall. Streets...
Green Features: We stayed at the hotel 4 nights and opted to reuse towels and bedding. Towels were replaced when necessary. The hotel encourages green practices.
Dear eightgrands,

At our hotel, exceeding guest's expectations is what we are all about. I am thrilled to hear we were able to accomplish that for you, and I will be sure to pass along your wonderful review to our staff. I hope you will return for another luxurious stay real soon!

Florianópolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A small hotel but cozy and friendly as the city itself. The location is the best possible for visitors to Philadelphia because it is close to everything and you can go walking within minutes to many of the major attractions. I really liked the idea of putting cheese and wine in the lobby to guests. With this, you can meet other people, talk and exchange ideas.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Iracemapg,

I agree with you that our location is perfect for walking to most of Philly's most prominent tourist attractions, and I'm glad you had the time to explore the city. I'm also glad you took advantage of our wine and cheese reception. The reception is very popular with our guests, and we love having guests meet in the lobby to enjoy our complimentary wine and discuss their travels. Should your travels bring you back to Philadelphia, we hope to see you again!

Roselle, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

With the great value and great location that was close to every place we planned to go we decided this would be the prefect spot to rest our heads at night. Upon arrival at approximately 1 a.m. the morning after our reservation, we were greeted by a very friendly man named Thomas who came to open the door for us personally from the front desk. He informed us were we could park if we planned on being in and out of the parking lot, a great place for a hot breakfast (The Green Egg -- across the street from the hotel) and great local spots to go to in the "Gayborhood". The room was very cozy, clean and reminded us of being home. Our only complaint would be the shower being very small and slightly difficult to maneuver in to take a shower, also water would be on the floor in front of the shower door from the door not being fully flush with the shower causing water to leak out. But overall we loved this hotel and would definitely return no questions asked. =0)

Room Tip: If going to sleep on the Locust Street side of the hotel request a room on a higher floor.
Dear Lauren T,

It's fantastic to hear that not only were you thoroughly impressed with the cleanliness and comfort of your guest room, but that you felt right at home! Many guests tell us this, and I believe it's due to our hardwood floors, high ceilings, and our front desk staff that knows you by name. Thomas is definitely a valuable asset to our company, I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks. We look forward to your return!

Cypress, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

It is beautiful. The staff were so nice and also very accommodating. The breakfast basket was sweet and just enough to get us going, and we loved the one cupcoffee pot. The beds were very comfortable, as well. I also really liked the cream-colored towels. They were super soft and absorbent, too.

Mechanical issues included a non-working light switch in the bathroom, rendering shower fairly dark, and a completely dead hairdryer. The sheets didn't fit the mattress, so it felt like the sheets would spring off the bed at any minute.

It was tough to find a parking spot even in the uncovered parking lot reserved for the hotel. Then when I walked over to retrieve the car, I learned I had the wrong parking pass card and needed to walk back a to the hotel to get the right one. It was late at night when I parked, and there was a huge party going on in the city, to be fair. If on site parking is important to you, then you may want to think about spending the extra money and stay at one of the bigger hotel chains.

Other smallish issues included the thin walls, and not being able to open the blinds.

It was a sweet room, and I would stay there again; just maybe not during Diner en Blanc.

Room Tip: Check in as early as your schedule permits, so the parking won't be so frustrating.
Green Features: This location used the popular, throw towels on the floor/hang them to have washed/re-use practice. I didn't notice anything more than that.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Chrmoa413,

I am pleased to hear that you found our property beautiful, and also that our staff assisted you in with everything you needed for a comfortable stay. However, I am disappointed that you encountered maintenance issues that prevented you from having a perfect stay with us. I can assure you we have resolved these issues, and I hope you will come back to visit us again so we have the opportunity to give you the sophisticated, boutique experience we are known for. Please feel free to contact me directly when you are ready to make your reservation, and I do hope you can see us again soon!

Zottegem, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Small rooms but ok. People at the front desk are very friendly.
hotel is next to starbucks, great to start your day. Good coffee. The walls of the room was to thin, could hear my neighbours going to the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear sandra3212014,

I'm glad you found our staff to be friendly during your stay with us. The cafe we are closest to isn't a Starbucks; it's actually called Square One, and they are known for their locally harvested coffee beans. I'd say I like them even more than Starbucks! I hope you enjoy your travels, and please come see us again the next time you are in Philadelphia.

Front Desk Supervisor

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!