“Gem in the City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

Save Saved
You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free Parking
Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
White River Junction, Vermont
“Gem in the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Independent Hotel was as elegant as I expected, the queen room was tastefully decorated and wonderfully spacious, the Inn in it self had great character. I loved checking in and getting a glass of Wine to help ease the day stresses. Lots of wonderful restaurants close by so once you park the car you don't have to move it again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Carmen A,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am glad to hear that you were satisfied with all aspects of the hotel, from your guest room to the wine and cheese reception. I am also glad that you were able to check out some of the great restaurants that Midtown Village is known for. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Emily Kuch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Pompano Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My deluxe queen room on the top floor was even more elegant, charming and comfortable than I had expected with beautiful views of the city, quality furniture and lovely furnishings. Dan and Eric are great hosts, willing and able to help with anything you need. (Thanks especially, Dan, for the tip about the Pennsylvania Dutch breakfast at Reading Terminal Market. It was wonderful!)

You can get anywhere you need from The Independent on foot, by bus, by metro or by very reasonably priced taxis. I easily walked east and west to the Delaware and Schuylkill Rivers (with the Schuylkill being more scenic and geared to walking, jogging, bicycling) and north and south up to Chinatown and down to South Street.

I would have preferred soaking in a tub at the end of each day's far-flung wanderings, but I could not find a City Center hotel with a bathtub. The Independent offers a great alternative with the complimentary passes to a spa-quality gym around the corner. (Sauna and swimming pool beats bathtub hands down!)

My stay covered both weekday and weekend, and I noticed a distinct jump in energy not only in the immediate neighborhood of the hotel but in the whole downtown area. So do expect a little noise on the weekend--all of it good-natured and probably no different than you'd find at other hotels.

I highly recommend The Independent, would definitely stay there again, and look forward to trying some of their other properties in NYC and elsewhere.

Room Tip: I was in a corner room on the top floor - I doubt it gets better than that! I would have preferred a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jasmine_and_Pelicans,

It's fantastic that your stay with us stood out so much that it inspired you to write us such a thorough review, of which I am very appreciative. I am so glad that you were fully satisfied with your top-floor room, the complimentary gym passes we offer, and our friendly front desk staff. I know Erik and Dan have both mentioned how much they enjoyed having you around! We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we are very pleased to hear that if you are in need of a guest room in Philadelphia, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Gateshead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights . The room was quite large but there wasn't a lot of natural light in it . The long narrow windows had blinds halfway down . When we pulled one up the view was of a broken window in the next building . The room could do with more light . It was quite a quiet room ,which was good . The bed was very comfortable . The bathroom was huge . The breakfast ordered the evening before was left outside the room in the morning as there's no dining room . It would have been helpful to have a nightstand on each side of the bed to put the coffee ! There was a microwave , fridge and coffee maker in the room . The staff we met were very pleasant . The wine and cheese in the evening is a nice touch too. The air con broke down and couldn't be fixed . We got a reduction in room rate to compensate and an electric fan to use. These things happen and it didn't spoil our stay too much . It's in such a handy position for sightseeing . Felt we'd made a good choice .

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pixie056,

I am very pleased to hear that you found your room to be spacious, comfortable, and quiet. However, I am sorry to to hear that you did not find the room to have enough natural light in it. If you choose to stay with us again, we will be happy to assign you a room with more light and a better view. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Belfast, Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Independent is a hotel with real character - old wooden floors and bare brick walls give the place a distinctive feel, but all of the modern amenities make it very comfortable. It's also very central - an easy walk to most of the city. They make an effort to be more than just a place to sleep - the staff are very friendly, and I did like the idea of the wine and cheese in the evening (even though I admit I didn't have much chance to attend). The tv in my room was the cleverest I've ever seen in a hotel. My room was a little noisy due to people on the street and noise from the aircon next door, but they did leave out earplugs for me, which was thoughtful, and it wasn't so bad that I used them. I thought it was a great place to stay - highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mad-and-Irish,

It is absolutely wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your entire stay with us. I am glad you admired the charm of the building, and also that you enjoyed our guest amenities and Midtown Village location. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Check in process was simple. Overall accommodations were as expected. Breakfast left at your door is very thoughtful. Only concern I had was my room was on the 2nd floor, street side, and it was kind of noisy for several hours. Otherwise, definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper, request a room away from the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear lawnboy246,

I am glad to hear that your check-in process went smoothly, and also that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast delivered to your door. I am, however, sorry to hear that you had an issue with street noise during your stay. When you stay with us again, we will be happy to assign you a quieter room facing away from the street. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel was within walking distance of a lot of shops, restaurants, and attractions. The room was big and clean and the bed was comfortable. It got a bit noisy on the weekend, but not too bad. Parking was a pain, but that's to be expected. The best part of the stay was the staff who really seemed to remember every guest. That and free wine and cheese. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear fluffysellscars,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the personal attention our staff gives to each guest, and I am also glad that you found your guest room to be comfortable and spacious. I am, however, sorry to hear that you had troubles with parking and noise from outside. If you choose to stay with us again, we will be happy to assign you a quieter guest room. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights hear. Lovely boutique place. The staff were super friendly, the rooms and bed comfortable and very clean. Get a free paper, free wireless, free basic breakfast and other nice touches. would stay here again as the location was good and the overall experience a pleasure. Makes a nice change from the big chains!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DanHobs,

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed all of our amenities, as well as our comfortable beds and friendly staff. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Emily Kuch

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!