“Not really a "boutique" property” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

Save Saved
You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free Parking
Ranked #7 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
new york city
“Not really a "boutique" property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The U.S. Open in nearby Merion made it very difficult to find rooms for our annual book club outing. The location of the hotel was fine and the desk staff couldn't be more helpful. While the smartly appointed 2nd floor lobby might resemble other boutique properties, the rest of the property was pretty pedestrian. The duvet had seen better days and needs replacement. While the bathroom was huge, the shower was claustrophobic. Breakfast is brought to the room but there is really no place to eat it comfortably. Also, the quality of the food was very ordinary with croissants from Costco. Philly has some fine bakeries (Metropolitan) and they should explore options. It didnot represent a real advantage nor cost savings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear nocouchpotato,

Thank you for choosing The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I completely agree with your comments about our duvet covers being warn, that is why I purchased new duvet covers for our hotel. I have also made a few steps to upgrade our breakfast! I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction, and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope that if you are in the area again and are in need of a hotel room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This is my new hotel in Philly. The rooms are large and grand! I loved the mirrors and windows in 201. I would recommend a back room if u want to sleep in. The contiental breakfast is okay. I am not a green mountain coffee fan so i would like other options since there is a krups machine in the room. They have coffee in the lobby too w/ creamer so I recommend running out there in the morning. They do a wine hour b/t 6-7 and everything is in walking distance. Shops, theater, reading market. Loved this place!

• Stayed June 2013
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear American-Germany,

I think it's wonderful that you found the amenities, location, and guest room of the hotel to be up to the standards that we strive to achieve daily. I am, however, sorry to hear that you weren't entirely pleased with the coffee selection in your room. Most of the coffee 'K-Cups' for the Kuerig machines are indeed Green Mountain brand, but we also have some breakfast tea options which we would be happy to supply you with. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction, and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we are very happy to hear that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

So convenient and a bargain also. The room was clean and nicely appointed. As with all atrium hotels, it is hard to control the rude and unthinking behavior of other guests -- I was awakened in the middle of the night by someone on the way to a room who chose to talk to friends and tell jokes at top voice for more than 10 minutes. The staff on duty should have intervened with a gentle reminder that there might be other people trying to sleep. That aside, the hotel is a great place as a base to explore Philadelphia.

Room Tip: No problem with the interior "view" -- not part of the expectation.
Green Features: Towels recirculated, as is common practice now at most hotels.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear piano4420,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am, however, very sorry that there were loud guests that disrupted your sleep. If you choose to stay with us again, please let us know if there is a noise issue and we will be happy to address right away for you. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

There is an elevator up to the lobby. Parking is in a lot (either across the street) or in a garage about one block away. You will pay with your hotel tab (and the parking is discounted). We only stayed one weekend night, so can't say much one way or another about the surrounding area, but the interior of the hotel was lovely. This was the best deal in town for a nice place for our family of 4 (grown children). The room we got was spacious -- called a queen executive, but it had and upstairs loft with a queen bed and wonderful full bath (double-headed shower, which was nice). One bed (not sure whether it was queen or full flipped out of the wall)--excellent and the other was a fold-out couch. Another bathroom on that floor, but only a half-bath. There was a fridge and keurig coffee maker/tea, too. The lobby also always had drinks available. It was nice to come in from the heat and find water available. We had room 303 and it was great. Nice fluffy towels and the linens were set up for us to use all 3 beds. We called for one more pillow, which we needed and they brought it up quickly. Nice to have the free breakfast delivered to the room -- cereal, yogurt, pastry, fruit and juice all included. Good coffee available in the room and in the lobby.

Room Tip: Room 303 was two floors. We liked it.
Green Features: Nice to have recycle bins available and the usual option to use your towel once or more.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear PhylP,

I am glad that you enjoyed our queen executive suite as much as we do! It is a great room for a larger group or family because it sleeps 6. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I attended a trade show at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia this past week and stayed at The Independent. First, the positive thoughts. Julie at the front desk was very gracious and helpful. Also, the hotel was centrally located and it was easy to walk to the Convention Center as well as restaurants and key sights.

Now, the not so positive. The room was okay, not great. There was no luggage rack, so I put my suitcase on the chair that went with the desk. As another reviewer stated, the breakfast is adequate--choice of juices, yogurts, cereals, croissant and jam delivered to your door, however, there is really no place in the room to eat it (and I was already using the chair as my luggage rack).

The worst feature of the room, however, are the cheapest, scratchiest sheets in the world and the brick hard pillow from which I developed a crick in my neck. Also, I agree with the other reviewer that the comforter was very tired, and for the price of this room, all of these linens should be much, much better.

Finally, on the street in front of the hotel, people tend to congregate at 3:00 in the morning to apparently have rap contests with loud music, so it is extremely noisy and difficult to get sleep. At no fault of the hotel, I saw what appeared to be a prostitute soliciting a potential client in front of the hotel. I had to cross the street at different spots in the block to avoid some of the activities that seem to go on in front of the hotel. Again, no fault of the hotel, but for single women travelers like myself, you need to be careful.

I loved the location and Julie was great, and if I stayed here again, I would ask for a room not facing the street.

Dear Susan P,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. I do agree with you that the duvet covers are worn. We have just ordered all new duvets for the hotel and will be changing them out as soon as they arrive. I am sorry to hear that your pillow was not comfortable. We have several different types of pillows in the hotel so if you choose to stay with us, we would be happy to bring you a different pillow at your request.

I am also sorry to hear that you found our location to not feel safe. If there are any noise issues or any activities that you perceive to be illegal near our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us right away and we will call our local law enforcement. Safety of our guests is our number one priority and we will do anything in our power to make sure our guests are at ease.

Cardiff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We booked this hotel as the reviews were so good on Trip Advisor. The location was excellent. Reception was welcoming, but that was as far as it went,
We were booked into room 208, which was extremely dark with no view and no light coming in from the windows, you couldn't see the sky! only a derelict building next door. As if it wasn't dark enough there was a plastic film on the window which cut more light out. The layout of the room wasn't good, there was only one bedside table for a double bed and the bedframe was so large we kept knocking our shins on it every time we walked passed it, this was also partly due to the large chest of drawers taking up a lot of space. There was a fridge, microwave and coffee facilities in the room. You had a form to complete to choose your breakfast which had to be left outside the room by 10pm. Breakfast came in a box was left outside the door in the morning, we felt that we were in a cell, we had to sit on the bed to eat breakfast as there was only one chair. We did ask to change room, but were told that they were full, we were also told that the front rooms facing the street were noisy (if that's the case get double glazing). One of the keys also didn't work and took three attempts to programme it. The bathroom floor didn't look particularly clean and there was a small amount of mould in the shower. Apart from Eric, the staff (when they were at the desk) didn't seem to be very interested. We are not difficult to please but we were so disappointed with this hotel (see other reviews)

Room Tip: Don't choose 208, the other rooms looked bright and cheerful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cardifftravellers,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than perfect. Because room 208 is on the side of our building, it has a view of the building next door that is under renovation. Though we cannot control the unattractive view of the renovations, we did frost out the lower part of the window to make your view more enjoyable. The frost and the upper window do let light into the room, but I am sorry that it was not bright enough for your enjoyment.

I am also sorry to hear that you felt like you were living in a cell. We do not have a designated breakfast area because of the petit size of our hotel. Most guests do enjoy the hand delivered complimentary breakfast, but I am sorry if you felt like we were trapping you in your room, that was not our intention. The shower and bathroom floor have been re-treated and is beautifully white and bright now. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I found this hotel on TripAdvisor and booked because of the great ratings and excellent hotel amenities. Overall my stay was very nice, and I recommend this hotel to business and pleasure travelers alike. It's *different*, boutique, and not another chain hotel, which is exactly what I was looking for.

What I liked was:
*The beautiful, high ceiling rooms
*Ordering breakfast and having it delivered to my room! (Free!)
*Evening wine reception (also free!) where I could meet other guests and chat
*Hotel staff who was willing to go out of their way to make my stay pleasant (restaurant recommendations AND reservations, picking up beer for the reception for a non-wine drinker, etc)
*Location- wonderful restaurants and night life within steps of the building
*Comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom, Keurig, fridge & micro in my room

Now the couple of small things that were negatives, and prevented my "excellent" rating for this hotel:
*I had trouble with the TV. I have to unplug it and plug it back in every time I wanted to turn it on. My co-workers did not have this trouble in their rooms.
*Touch-switch to the bathroom light was neat, but was worn out and difficult to use.
*A knob on one of the lights in my room was missing. A small thing, I know, but irritating nonetheless.
*The sink drain was not working properly. A co-worker also had this problem in his room.

The PROs FAR outweigh the small CONs at this hotel, and I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Philly. It is a pleasant 0.6 mi walk to the convention center, so definitely consider this property for your next convention trip.

Dear calwes76,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am, however, sorry to hear that your stay was not perfect. We did have several TV issues in the hotel, but have just replaced many of our TVs so there will be no further issues. We have also corrected the sink drain in your room along with the nob on the lamp that was missing. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Emily Kuch

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!