“Wonderful Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

Save Saved
You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #11 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Wonderful Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I used to live in Philadelphia and remember when this hotel had opened ten or so years ago under another name. I was there one night last week for business and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff was extremely attentive and friendly. The hotel is sparkling clean. My third floor room was enormous, with a very, very comfortable bed,a double-headed shower with great water pressure and temperature in an equally spacious bathroom. I actually wanted just to hang out in my room, it was so comfortable. I got an amazing price deal, but I would happily have paid much more for the comfort and pleasurable experience. I was so pleased to know this hotel exists. I will definitely stay there again next time. It's also very convenient for Washington Square West neighborhood/13th Street Corridor/Walnut Street. Quite a surprise and a good one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear WRK1969,

Thank you for choosing the The Independent on your recent visit and for commenting on your recent stay.

I am very happy to hear that your room was cleaned to your preferences and that we exceeded your expectations during your stay. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Springfield, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

When we booked our reservation at The Independent, we looked at pictures of the rooms. We thought we knew exactly what we were getting and were comfortable with it. The Queen Loft Suite seemed just right for us and our two children.

Suffice to say, we got far more than we bargained for. The room was absolute perfection. The pictures didn't do it justice at all. The hotel staff were courteous, accommodating, and kind. Our one and only complaint? That unfortunately, we weren't able to stay longer.

The hotel is great. Close to excellent restaurants, great bars, fabulous shopping. Everything we could possibly want. Can't wait for an excuse to come back to Philly so we can stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rebecca B,

Thank you for choosing the The Independent on your recent visit and submitting a comment on your recent stay.

I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed, and I am very happy to hear that you found our Queen Loft Suite to exceed you and your family's expectations. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Orange, CT, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Independent is a quaint, small hotel just walking distance from many of the historical attractions, shopping, and great restaurants. The staff was very friendly and courteous, and the complimentary breakfast delivered to our doors each morning was a treat. I especially like that there were hardwood floors. They make it very easy to see how well the room has been cleaned. Our room was spacious and very well kept. The bed was extremely comfortable and the free wifi was an added bonus. The view from our room overlooked one of the Philadelphia murals and we were able to watch the painter each morning create her work of art. We would definitely stay here again. The price, the service, the accommodations, and the location was well worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Duncan19_88,

I had a chance to review the comment that you recently posted, and I was proud to read the notes you left about our staff. I am also happy to hear that your found the cleanliness of your room to meet your expectations. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at how large and well appointed our King room was. It definitely exceeded our expectations. We would definitely stay here again when visiting Philadelphia. We lucked out and got a corner room so I'm not sure if that meant we had more windows or space, but it definitely was a great room.

Dear Dave D,

I am happy to hear that you were impressed by your room. I am also glad to hear that you loved the location, we are very proud to be a part of the Midtown Village. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The staff were helpful and friendly, room was very nice, complimentary breakfast in the morning was good. The hotel is directly above a subway stop for ease of access. Staff offered assistance with bags and travel arrangements. Will always stay at the Independent when I'm in Phillly.

Dear Spin155,

I had a chance to review the comment that you recently posted, and I was proud to read the notes you left about our staff. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I loved this hotel. From the huge room, to the consistently attentive service, to the incredible location (and value), it was a very enjoyable stay. First, the location. The hotel is at 13th st and Locust St, which makes it a 5 minute walk to a multitude of restaurants (along 13th street, and along Locust and Walnut streets; favorites were The Corner restaurant and Caribou-French bistro on Walnut)), as well as a 5-10 minute walk to Rittenhouse square (shops, restaurants, Rittenhouse Park), and a 15 minute to Independence Mall historical area. The desk staff were put to the test by the fact that we had a malfunctioning TV in our room. Nick and Eric tried absolutely everything to accommodate us, including letting us watch TV in other hotel rooms on 2 separate nights! (we would not usually be this obsessed with watching TV, but we are from Boston, and the Marathon bombings occurred the first day we were here). Ultimately, they gave us a generous adjustment on our bill without being asked. Apparently, the plan is to replace all of their cable boxes very soon, but do make sure your TV works before you settle into your room! Julie, another front desk person, was equally accommodating of all of our needs. Clearly, the culture is to truly do everything possible to make the customers' stay enjoyable. A note about the breakfast which is included. Nice is that it is delivered to your room in the morning (you mark a card the night before with choices and a time). However, it is a fairly limited Continental breakfast menu, a boxed breakfast that is DIY (e.g. oatmeal that you need to microwave, yogurts, and the only bread/pastry choice is a croissant). Convenient if your trying to head out in a hurry, but we did end up just eating at Green Eggs cafe down the street, which is scrumptious! Parking was included because we printed out the coupon from the Tripadvisor link. Also liked the decor, the "living room" feel of the lobby. Will definitely come back again!

Room Tip: I don't know if all of the rooms that end in "05" are this large, but ours was huge. W...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear travelswithteens,

I am sorry to hear that you had TV issues during your stay, but I am very happy to hear that the issues was resolved to your expectionas. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Independent is a comfortable, cozy hotel in a very central location. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are a good size, and it's great to get breakfast delivered to your room. I walked everywhere during my three days in Philadelphia (theatres, museums, etc.). This was my second stay at The Independent, and I was just as happy with it as I was the first time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Madeline A,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your second stay with us as much as your first. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

Emily Kuch

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!