“First Impressions” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Columbia, Maryland
“First Impressions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I agree with another poster here-- the hotel is great and service is warm with one unfortunate exception-- the woman who seems to work when folks come in a bit early for check in (early afternoon). She was cold and even a bit bothered. She should not be dealing with guests at an expensive boutique hotel. All other staff members were great, warm, went out of their way to be professional and sweet with my family and me. The room was great, location excellent. All in all, I'd definitely recommend the hotel. Just ignore the first impression.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back of the hotel. Loud on the street
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Emily K, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear EdoB172,

Thank you for choosing the The Independent on your recent visit and for adding a comment on your recent stay.

I am sorry that your first impression of the hotel did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.

I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if you are in need of a guest room, we will remain your hotel of choice.

Emily Kuch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at The Independent while doing tours of UPenn and other colleges. We loved The Independent . . . from the wine and cheese reception, to breakfast being delivered to our room, to the comfy, comfy beds, to the parking lot right across the street, to being in the middle of Philly! The people at reception when we checked in and out were personable, knowledgeable and very helpful. If my daughters chooses to go to college in Philly, The Independent will be our place to stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Colin H, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Traveller45607,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Independent. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. If your daughter chooses a college in our area, please feel free to contact us again if you need accomidations. Thank you and we are looking forward to seeing you soon!

Best,
Emily Kuch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We are just pulling out of the city of brotherly love and thrilled with our 3 day visit. We are an active family with 3 sons and we like getting out and about. We also like comfortable, hip lodging when we travel. The Independent Hotel is in the middle of a bustling neighborhood of fantastic restaurants, eclectic shopping, interesting sights and historic buildings. The rooms are spacious, very clean and comfortable. The rooms seem twice as big because of the high ceilings. The Independent was a great find and I plan to bring my Utah girlfriends back for a city trip. Because of the value, we were able to book two rooms, one for us and one for our boys rather than nearly the same price for one room in a full service hotel. The extra bonus of the Independent is the staff. Julie, Eric and Colin were over the top accommodating through the entire process of reservation, our visit and final check-out. The Independent Hotel was a surprising find and added to an excellent first visit to Philly!

P.S. There is a great nail salon just around the corner if you need a quick, A+ pedicure. "Bellevue Nails"

• Stayed April 2013
Hi Roostbrew,

Wow we can't thank you enough for the great review! I'm glad you found the Independent to fit all of your needs, and were able to explore all the surrounding restaurants and shops nearby. We take pride in the amazing staff members we have here. I will be sure to share this review with Julie and Erik! I'm glad we were all able to go above and beyond to ensure your stay was enjoyable.

I'm glad you found us, and we can't wait for your return trip with you and your Utah girlfriends :)

Please let us know when you plan on coming back at info@theindependenthotel.com and we will be sure to take care of you.

Thanks again for the awesome review.

Safe Travels,
Nantucket
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Spent two nights while visiting colleges with my daughter and had a wonderful experience. Warm reception at check-in with excellent recommendations for dinner by the staff both evenings. Room was spacious with beautiful hardwood floors, coffee maker with many choices of coffees, mini refrigerator and other helpful anemities. Bed was cozy and room was so quiet we'd never guess we were in a city. Breakfast delivered to the room a perfect way to start the day. Location convenient for walking, metro, etc. Wine and cheese each evening was a great way to meet other guests. Beats a large commercial hotel in ambiance, comfort and the simple feeling of home away from home with the royal treatment thrown in for good measure. Now .... if they could only guarantee admission into Penn we'd be staying there four years strong!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, back of the hotel in an amazingly spacious king suite.
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for writing about your awesome experience LizNantucket! I'm glad you were able to enjoy all the amenities in the hotel- including the wine and cheese :) It's a great opportunity to meet other guests, and socialize with people from all over the world.

Thanks again for the nice review....I will be sure to work on the Upenn admissions office, so we can have you as our guest for the next 4 years! - Good luck with the college search :)

Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed here for 2 nights in March 2013. I was impressed by the hotel's decor and location. Our room was large and spacious. The front desk was extremely helpful upon check-in, and the breakfast was good. The breakfast is really neat- they give you a door hanger to order from and you fill-it-out and hang it on the door. The next morning they deliver your breakfast in a basket to your door. I thought this was charming and was convenient when traveling with children. They also have coffee and tea available in the lobby which I loved. Another great thing about this hotel was the location- you could walk to many restaurants and shops.

My only recommendation would be to deep clean the shower stall doors- ours had mildew built up on the door. It is an easy fix and really no big deal.

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Philadelphia. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi Tiffany R,

Thanks for the review! We appreciate all the feedback you provided, and we value your response. I'm glad you and your family were able to enjoy all the shops and restaurants within walking distance from the Hotel. Our central location makes it easy and fun to explore the heart of the city!

I appreciate you bringing up the shower issue, and I can assure you we have been taking the necessary steps to address this.

Thanks again for your review, and I hope we will be your first choice on your next visit to Philadelphia!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We came out of the elevator doors and stepped into the reception. The receptionist, who'd been facing away when we came in, turned to look at us over her shoulder and said "Hello?"

I said, "Hello! We're hoping to check in. I know it's a little early." She sized us up for a couple of seconds and then sat at the desk. "I'm going to need ID," she said, typing. I put down my ID and the printed reservation confirmation. She kept typing. She didn't make eye contact with me after that point. It was as though I'd said something awful about one of her friends, or had deliberately closed a door in her face.

I've had friendlier first interactions with: the TSA, the police, post office staff, call center workers, and estranged cousins.

But after that very questionable start, everything picked up. The room was very pleasant (though some kind of bar is being built downstairs and presumably will transfer plenty of sonics upstairs), the hotel is excellently located, etc., etc. The other staff members were lovely.

ps. We did eventually break through the receptionist's suspicion/irritation shield and even made some small-talk. I wished her the best and she me, and all was well.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a second floor room, if possible. It's going to be loud in there one day.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for the review M H. It sounds like your arrival experience was not up to our standards, nor what you were expecting. If you would be as so kind to share this experience at info@theindependenthotel.com I would love to discuss this further. We want to be sure our customer service and guest experience is always at the top of our game.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the location and surrounding entertainment the neighborhood has to offer.

Thanks for being our guest, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The Independent is great little hotel. I would stay again. My room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The location is ideal, and the staff made me feel right at home. Plus there is an amazing gym (included with hotel stay) right around the corner.

• Stayed March 2013
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the partnernship we have with 12th street gym. We hope to see you back soon.

Best,
Colin Huff

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!