“Personal service, great location and unique decor!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

Save Saved
You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 83 hotels in Philadelphia
Nantucket
“Personal service, great location and unique decor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Spent two nights while visiting colleges with my daughter and had a wonderful experience. Warm reception at check-in with excellent recommendations for dinner by the staff both evenings. Room was spacious with beautiful hardwood floors, coffee maker with many choices of coffees, mini refrigerator and other helpful anemities. Bed was cozy and room was so quiet we'd never guess we were in a city. Breakfast delivered to the room a perfect way to start the day. Location convenient for walking, metro, etc. Wine and cheese each evening was a great way to meet other guests. Beats a large commercial hotel in ambiance, comfort and the simple feeling of home away from home with the royal treatment thrown in for good measure. Now .... if they could only guarantee admission into Penn we'd be staying there four years strong!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, back of the hotel in an amazingly spacious king suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for writing about your awesome experience LizNantucket! I'm glad you were able to enjoy all the amenities in the hotel- including the wine and cheese :) It's a great opportunity to meet other guests, and socialize with people from all over the world.

Thanks again for the nice review....I will be sure to work on the Upenn admissions office, so we can have you as our guest for the next 4 years! - Good luck with the college search :)

598 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed here for 2 nights in March 2013. I was impressed by the hotel's decor and location. Our room was large and spacious. The front desk was extremely helpful upon check-in, and the breakfast was good. The breakfast is really neat- they give you a door hanger to order from and you fill-it-out and hang it on the door. The next morning they deliver your breakfast in a basket to your door. I thought this was charming and was convenient when traveling with children. They also have coffee and tea available in the lobby which I loved. Another great thing about this hotel was the location- you could walk to many restaurants and shops.

My only recommendation would be to deep clean the shower stall doors- ours had mildew built up on the door. It is an easy fix and really no big deal.

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Philadelphia. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi Tiffany R,

Thanks for the review! We appreciate all the feedback you provided, and we value your response. I'm glad you and your family were able to enjoy all the shops and restaurants within walking distance from the Hotel. Our central location makes it easy and fun to explore the heart of the city!

I appreciate you bringing up the shower issue, and I can assure you we have been taking the necessary steps to address this.

Thanks again for your review, and I hope we will be your first choice on your next visit to Philadelphia!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We came out of the elevator doors and stepped into the reception. The receptionist, who'd been facing away when we came in, turned to look at us over her shoulder and said "Hello?"

I said, "Hello! We're hoping to check in. I know it's a little early." She sized us up for a couple of seconds and then sat at the desk. "I'm going to need ID," she said, typing. I put down my ID and the printed reservation confirmation. She kept typing. She didn't make eye contact with me after that point. It was as though I'd said something awful about one of her friends, or had deliberately closed a door in her face.

I've had friendlier first interactions with: the TSA, the police, post office staff, call center workers, and estranged cousins.

But after that very questionable start, everything picked up. The room was very pleasant (though some kind of bar is being built downstairs and presumably will transfer plenty of sonics upstairs), the hotel is excellently located, etc., etc. The other staff members were lovely.

ps. We did eventually break through the receptionist's suspicion/irritation shield and even made some small-talk. I wished her the best and she me, and all was well.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a second floor room, if possible. It's going to be loud in there one day.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for the review M H. It sounds like your arrival experience was not up to our standards, nor what you were expecting. If you would be as so kind to share this experience at info@theindependenthotel.com I would love to discuss this further. We want to be sure our customer service and guest experience is always at the top of our game.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the location and surrounding entertainment the neighborhood has to offer.

Thanks for being our guest, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The Independent is great little hotel. I would stay again. My room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The location is ideal, and the staff made me feel right at home. Plus there is an amazing gym (included with hotel stay) right around the corner.

• Stayed March 2013
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the partnernship we have with 12th street gym. We hope to see you back soon.

Best,
Murrieta, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

What a pleasure our stay was at The Independent Hotel. Based on user reviews, we decided to try out this hotel on our last trip to Philly. They didn't disappoint. This boutique hotel was great. The rooms were nicely appointed and comfortable. The location was terrific, within walking distance of city center, historic Philadelphia, and theaters. And best of all was the staff. Everyone was friendly and accommodating and made our stay wonderful. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi CTrousers,

I'm glad we were able to exceed your expectations! Come back and enjoy the nice weather this spring!

Happy Travels,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I had no expectations as I was just in town for business. Upon my arrival, the staff was so warm and helpful. They continued to go above and beyond the whole weekend to make sure I was comfortable. I switched rooms and worried I left my phone charger in the first, but nope! They noticed when moving my bags and there it was in my new room. They are so accomodating and willing to help whenever possible. I would come back here just to have the pleasure of the staff again.

The perks:
- Complimentary breakfast delivered to your room each morning
- Free wine happy hours during the week (6-7)
- Beautiful, large rooms with comfy bedding
- Microwave, fridge, coffee in room
- DirecTV with lots of sports and movie channels
- Nicest staff ever!

Notes to improve your stay:
- Request an interior room if you're a light sleeper. It can be really loud out front on a weekend
- The building is old so the bathrooms have a bit of a draft - it can be a little cold getting out of the shower in the colder months

Overall, so impressed. My biggest complaint is that the elevator is really slow. If that's the worst I can say, it did alright. My official Philly hotel from now on!

• Stayed March 2013
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We appreciate the great comments! I'm pleased to hear we have exceeded your expectations, and that you found our staff to be extremely helpful. I have shared this review with the entire Team.

We look forward to having you back soon, and I'm glad to hear we will be your #1 hotel in Philadelphia.

Safe Travels,

Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Everything was wonderfull at this hotel: the location (in the center of old Phili, good for walkings), the room (large, wooden floor, fancy furniture), astoning interior design including the lobby (impressive, showing a 4, maybe, meters hight modern picture with some important landmarks), the personnel (very attentionate, open, friendly). The plus: everyday at 5 there was "wine and cheese" offered by the hotel. Nicely atmosphere, good opportunity to make aquintance with the other travellers around a glass of wine or a coffee.

Room Tip: It-s worth trying it, at least once !
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
On behalf of The Independent Hotel, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had a chance to converse with other travelers during our wine & cheese hour. Recently we have improved upon this complimentary amenity by broadening our cheese selections through a local cheese farm in Pennsylvania Amish country! The combination of excellent local cheese selections and wines from around the world will hopefully provide an excellent atmosphere with us during your next stay as well. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences, we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!