“Great Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Independent to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #7 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
Lancaster, PA
“Great Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is just neat. The lobby is accessed via an elevator to the 2nd floor. It is small but the rooms are well thought out and the staff is exceptional. Anything we needed, they were going to get it for us. The little breakfast brought to the door is a lovely touch. It's a croissant, yogurt and fruit - but you don't have to search the neighborhood for something to eat.
The only drawback is the lack of a restaurant/lounge on site. There is a first rate restaurant a few doors down - but they only serve wine and fish.
I can't wait to go back - need an excuse!

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side if possible. Revelers on the street until 4:30 a.m.!
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
We appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel. Glad you enjoyed the experience. We try to provide great service all around, including the complimentary breakfast delivered to your room! The Restaurant on our street level is under renovations and should be open soon. We'd love to be your next excuse to Philadelphia!

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was a fabulous home base for our 3 night stay. The kids and I were able to walk to all our sights (with the exception of the Please Touch Museum). The breakfast was simple but adequate to get a quick start to the day.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you and your kids discovered Philadelphia and all it has to offer. We look forward to your return visit!

Colin
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I book one room with 2 queens deluxe bed for this hotel. The hotel is very convenient to the Thomas Jefferson hospital and the Greyhound Terminal bus stop. I stayed with 4 people and it was spacious enough for everyone. When we got there, I took the elevator to the 2nd floor and checked in with a gentleman at the desk. It was very simple and convenient check-in. Got our room key within less than 5 mins. The 2nd floor lobby was VERY nice with a fireplace and nice couch. I love the decoration and it feels very homey. I really appreciate the free water bottle and coffee service throughout the day. We are the type of people that need to drink lots of coffee so it helped that they had everything set up in the lobby so we can just get a cup to go. The room was pretty nice but I wish there was extra chairs to sit on since I don't like to sit on my bed until after i shower. But it was still pretty good. The people were really nice. I asked for extra blankets, sheets, and pillows at a very late hour and they were VERY accommodating to my needs.

My only complain was the shower since it looks very worn out and moldly but the toilet and sink were very clean. Since it was a one night stay, I didn't expect too much besides the basic of having a comfortable bed. The breakfast delivered to our room was pretty nice since we were tired of going outside to get food.

I would recommend going back to this hotel. Next time I will most likely book the same one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear CoffeeLover_99,

Thanks for taking the time to complete this review! I am glad you were able to take advantage of all our amenties at the hotel including the coffee :) I hope you were able to use the in-room Keurig coffee maker as well! I appreciate your feedback on the extra chair in the room. We will be more than happy to bring extra seating for your next stay. Thanks for bringing the shower issues to our attention. We have addressed this and are taking care of it.

I hope you're able to stay with us again soon, and thanks again for the review!

Happy Travels,
-Colin Huff
Trabuco Canyon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great location in Philadelphia! The rooms are spacious and beds are very comfortable. Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this hotel. My daughters and I stayed in a room with two queen beds and had plenty of room. The coffee in the lobby was delicious. It was fresh every morning. Loved the security system..the hotel was quiet and staff was very helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cheryl G,

Thanks for being our guest and also for the review! I'm glad you and your daughters were able to enjoy your stay while visiting Philadelphia.

We will look forward to accomadating you and your family on your next trip to Philadelphia.

Thanks again,

Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at The Independent with 2 friends this past weekend for an event. The staff is the best in the city. Everyone we came in contact with was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I felt so comfortable staying there. The room was very nice; not a typical cookie-cutter hotel room - very nicely appointed. The bed was so comfortable I could have slept all day. We had no trouble sleeping due to noise or anything else. The breakfast delivered to the door is the nicest touch of all. The only drawback is the lack of a restaurant on the premises. Fish is a few doors down but much to my chagrin, no one in my party will eat fish. We had to find another restaurant. This hotel is almost like an apartment/home base if you're exploring the city.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and loved it.
Colin H, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
We appreciate the great comments. Guest Service is our #1 priority. I'm pleased to hear we made you feel so comfortable during your stay. I will be sure to share this review with the entire team.

Hope to see you soon!

Englewood, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We picked this hotel because of the high ratings on Tripadvisor and its close proximity to Jefferson Medical Center. We pulled up to the hotel and there is no lobby. You have to take an elevator to the second floor therefore there is no security in front of the hotel and Philadelphia has no shortage of people hanging in doorways and homeless. I appreciate a doorman.

Check-in was quick, friendly, and efficient. We had room 504. STAY AWAY. The floor was badly water damaged with a rug covering it which did not bother me. Size was adequate and the bed was comfy. The bathroom was a joke. It had an odd layout, was freezing, the shower had no curtain or door so the floor got wet. There was minimal hot water at 6 am and the pressure kept fluctuating. Mold in the grout was off-putting. Just not what we or anyone would expect. At night you would hear the elevator constantly and the opening door would sound like someone throwing rocks down a metal slide. Then, at 2 am, we heard loud yelling in the street until 3:30 am. This was from taxi drivers yelling at each other and honking their horns as the local clubs let out. Could not go back to sleep. No security latch on the door left me feeling a little less secure.

Free breakfast was offered but I don't consider what they offered as much. A box of cereal, some bread products, juice and fruit served in your room was all there was. And getting back to my nervous feeling, there is a commemorative plaque to a police officer who was shot on front of the hotel. This hotel is certainly not worth a second trip. I'll go back to the Latham or Sofitel where the price is comparable but services exceed.

Room Tip: Avoid any room near the dilapidated elevator
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear rbandron,

Thank you for reviewing The Independent - we're sorry for any confusion regarding the entry of our hotel. We can assure you the safety of our guests is a top priority- The doors remain locked outside between the hours of 10:00pm-7:00am to ensure only hotel guests are entering by room key. I appreciate your feedback on the quality of the bathroom, and I can assure you these issues have been addressed.

Our hotel has a unique security latch on all the doors that can be secured by lifting up the handle. I apologize for this not being communicated to you.

We would love for you to come back and give us a second chance to provide the service we strive for as well as the standards you are expecting as a valued guest! We will be sure to put you in a room with a courtyard view away from the street noise and elevator.

Thanks again for all of your feedback.

Front Office Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Independent was perfect for recent trip to Flower Show. The Queen Suite was the right size for four friends with plenty of sleeping, lounging, and visiting with both common and private space.
The staff could not have been more accommodating from changing reservations to excellent recommendations to genuine interest in our comfort. Julie and Colin (and others) went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our visit.
Will stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!