“Not a single complaint” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

Expedia.com Orbitz.com
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free Parking
Ranked #7 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
NJ
“Not a single complaint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is the perfect location - walking distance of just about anything you would want. Discounted ($15/night) parking through the hotel that was close and convenient.
The staff was helpful, courteous and friendly - quickly remedying a non-working cable box for the tv. Breakfast delivered to the door. Fridge, microwave and Keurig in the room. Awesome shower and bed.

Room Tip: Room 502 had a great view of the mural across the street!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Chester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in October 2012. Booked through hotels.com and got a very good price for the room. Hotel doesn't look much from the outside and the lobby is on the 1st floor but once inside, you realise a lot of attention has been paid to the funky interior. We were greeted warmly by the reception staff. We had a room on the 3rd floor on Locust Street. High windows so no view. The room was all wooden floors, exposed brick and double height ceilings. Really individual and nice. Bathroom huge, no bathtub but not a problem for us. Bathroom well lit although the room itself was a little dark. Huge bed.

Breakfast enough to set you up for a morning's sightseeing. We are not huge breakfast eaters and usually only grab a coffee and a danish on the move so it was more than adequate for our needs. There are free soft drinks available in the lobby and the wine and cheese hour each day was a nice touch and allowed you to meet with your fellow travels. We spent a good couple of hours putting the world to rights with a couple from sweden and california!

The location is perfect. About a 10 minute walk from all the sights and plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance. The staff were able to give plenty of advice as to directions, restaurant recommendations etc.

All in all, a lovely little hotel in a fantastic city. It deserves its high rating on tripadvisor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I chose the Independent for a spontaneous escape to Philadelphia. Wanting a unique experience and after reading several reviews, I chose to book for January. I agree with everyone when they say that it is a beautiful boutique hotel, quite, although I was able to hear the on-goings of my neighbors next to me and across the hall (nothing disturbing, just able to hear their conversations, their choice of TVs/movies, etc...)
Let me paint the situation. I happened to arrive approximately three hours early. I was fully aware that my room may not be ready and spoke to a delightful hostess in the lobby. She informed me that they would have my room ready momentarily and I encouraged that they can take their time, taking full responsibility of my early arrival. I happened to bump into the lady who would be cleaning my room while in the elevator; I apologized and told her to please take her time as well since I had arrived early. Approximately 30 minutes later I was informed that my room was ready. I entered my room and was immediately caught by a questionable smell. Before unloading my luggage I decided to perform a walk around in my room; I found that questionable smell to be isolated in three locations of the room.. non were the bathroom, the linens were worn, and there were hairs throughout the comforter... throughout this entire process I kept in mind that I had arrived early. The smell; however, was not one that I could accept and therefore I chose to return to the lobby, apologize again and report my findings. I was treated well and happened to also be in the presence of the hotel manager. I was kindly provided a room change to a beautiful king suite on the 5th floor. The bedroom was beautiful, the only complaints I had were 1. the toilet ring which was addressed the next day, 2. The hersheys chocolate kisses that appeared to have had seen better days... and that there was dust and dirt throughout the accent rug, draperies and windows. One final hiccup that was beyond the hotels control, but which they made little attempt to apologize for... the water was out for approximately 10 hours. Fortunately the hotel provided a gym pass to the local gym; I was able to work out and take a hot shower and use the restroom... it just took running through the rain to get there. Again, very much out of their control; wasn't even their leak that resulted in the outage. Okay, i hit the lows, now the highs:
The room delivered breakfast in the morning was wonderful. The king suite was gorgeous, if I hadn't been in Philadelphia I would have loved to stay in the bed. Dual shower heads in the shower was fantastic!
The hotel is wonderfully located within a minor walking distance from the main historic sites; I was able to enjoy the entire day walking from the Independent to Carpenter and Independent Hall, visit the Liberty Bell, sample the presidential beer sampler at City Tavern and so much more just on my two feet. Later I was able to safely walk to McGillin's Olde Ale House and encounter some amazing locals, enjoy a delicious beer and celebrate the win of the Baltimore Ravens. Although my first impressions of the Independent were "rocky" the location of the hotel alone made my first trip to Philly memorable.

Room Tip: Initially reserved for a queen sized room and I believe it was room 301... it was small and that'...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We are from Philadelphia and we wanted a getaway that was still close to home. I chose the Independent and I couldn't be happier! We requested a quiet room ahead of time and the staff was super thoughtful in choosing the room. It was huge and beautiful. It even smelled fantastic. I really love the breakfast system. You choose from a variety of continental breakfast items and then they deliver it to your door at the time that you choose. It was wonderful! You can brew coffee in a Keurig machine in your room or get it in the lobby. They have free coffee, tea, cocoa, and juice available 24 hours a day!

We had unbelievable personalized service. The all of staff was amazing and it couldn't have been nicer!

It is perfect... small, personal and artistic!!

Room Tip: If you want a special type of room, like a quiet room call in advance because it is a boutique hotel...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a very nice small hotel downtown Philadelphia, the location could not be better. The first night we should stay in the hotel, there had been troubles with a water leak and the hotel was closed unexpectedly. Staff was very helpful and had booked another room in another hotel for free. One week later we stayed there again and all problems in the hotel were solved. We had a very friendly welcome with wine and cheese, had good advise for restaurants, and the room was great. I certainly can recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Independent is a nice boutique hotel that is walking distance from Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. I was traveling there on business, so the location couldn't be better. The staff were super friendly and helpful, and the room was quite nice. I really liked that breakfast and internet were included in the rate as well complimentary bottled water and hot beverages. Breakfast is delivered to your room each morning at the exact time that you request it, and if you don't answer the door right away, they leave it in a basket outside, which was perfect for me. One downside was that the lobby is on the second floor, so when I was meeting colleagues in the morning and again in the evening, we had to take the elevator to the lobby to meet, then take the elevator again to leave the hotel. That's not that big of a deal, of course, and I would definitely stay at the Independent again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eugene
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Independent Hotel, Philadelphia, PA ; The hotel occupies the second through fifth floors of its building, the first floor shared by a bar and a seafood restaurant. Since the hotel has only 28 rooms, it fits the description of a "boutique" hotel.

Pros:

* Central location - 13th and Locust - near theatres, restaurants, and shopping. It is an easy 5-10 minute walk to the Philadelphia Academy of Music, where we attended a performance (play) of Les Miserable.

* Clean and comfortable rooms - including microwave, refrigerator, flat screen TV. Bathroom was quite large, but lacked bathtub. Our room was on the fifth (top) floor (there is an elevator) and the room was quiet.

* Continental breakfast (yogurt, fruit, cereal, muffin, juice) left at door, along with USA Today, according to guest's instructions. This was not lavish, but adequate.

* Courteous staff and easy check-in
* Juices, sodas, and coffee available at all times in the lobby. Complimentary wine and cheese available Tuesday-Thursday evenings.

Cons:

* We like to read in bed. Although individual reading lights were provided, they were inconveniently located.

* Lack of bathtub.

Nota Bene: We stayed Wednesday-Saturday nights. On Friday, a water main in the cellar of the bar burst, cutting off water to the hotel. This was a minor problem for us, as water was restored by 4 p.m. HOWEVER, the hotel saw fit to credit us (we did not request this) for one day's fee ($160). I thought that this was rather generous as we were really not inconvenienced very much.

Summary: The Independent Hotel, Philadelphia, Center City, was a good choice for us. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Our fifth floor room was quiet, even though the streets below were busy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!