We stayed here for 2 nights in October 2012. Booked through hotels.com and got a very good price for the room. Hotel doesn't look much from the outside and the lobby is on the 1st floor but once inside, you realise a lot of attention has been paid to the funky interior. We were greeted warmly by the reception staff. We had a room on the 3rd floor on Locust Street. High windows so no view. The room was all wooden floors, exposed brick and double height ceilings. Really individual and nice. Bathroom huge, no bathtub but not a problem for us. Bathroom well lit although the room itself was a little dark. Huge bed.
Breakfast enough to set you up for a morning's sightseeing. We are not huge breakfast eaters and usually only grab a coffee and a danish on the move so it was more than adequate for our needs. There are free soft drinks available in the lobby and the wine and cheese hour each day was a nice touch and allowed you to meet with your fellow travels. We spent a good couple of hours putting the world to rights with a couple from sweden and california!
The location is perfect. About a 10 minute walk from all the sights and plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance. The staff were able to give plenty of advice as to directions, restaurant recommendations etc.
All in all, a lovely little hotel in a fantastic city. It deserves its high rating on tripadvisor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Independent is a 24-room boutique hotel located in a fully restored Georgian-Revival building located at 1234 Locust Street in the vibrant Midtown Village area of Center City, Philadelphia. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Independent is ideal for tourists and business travelers looking for a grand feel in a boutique, personalized hotel experience. Our guests experience luxury accommodations in the heart of Philadelphia, and are able to walk to theaters, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rittenhouse and other Philadelphia attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Independent reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Boutique Hotel Philadelphia