“Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

Save Saved
You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free Parking
Ranked #7 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I traveled to Philadelphia for a short get-away. This hotel is fantastic. It is clean, very nicely decorated, great furnishings, and in a great location, within walking distance of nearly everything you would want to do. The wine and cheese reception during the week is a hit! Complementary breakfast delivered to the room allows for an easy breakfast in bed. Everyone there was very polite and helpful. Will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

567 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were in Philadelphia to see a show. The Independent was a quick walk to the theater district and the parking was less expensive than any of the other hotels in the area. Our room was big and comfortable. We even had a Keurig coffee maker in our room! The fireplace, drinks and fresh coffee in the lobby made this place really homey. Eric at the front desk was outstanding!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Throop, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My fiance and I took an overnight trip to Philadelphia, and the Independent was the recommended place to stay. The room was beautiful, clean, and very very relaxing. The details in the room make it feel a bit like home too. All the staff members were polite and helpful. We had questions about things to do in the area and they were more than willing to provide insight.

Room Tip: We stayed in the King Deluxe. The room was well decorated and very cozy!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the Independent a few times and each time has been wonderful. The rooms are charming, clean and provide all the amenities you need. The staff is polite, friendly and had great knowledge of the city. (Collin Huff was especially helpful)

Love the Independent experience!

• Stayed January 2013
Bloomingdale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have been coming here for a few days for the past three weeks and this hotel has been an oasis for my co-worker and myself. The manager, Colin has been so helpful with everything from our reservations, gym passes and dining suggestions. As this is a botique hotel and all the rooms are different, it's fun exploring each different room. Happy hour (wine & cheese) is the perfect wind down from a busy work day. It truly has been our home away from home.

Room Tip: Don't forget to use the complimentary gym passes. The gym is one block away and great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I visit Philly often and have always stayed at the same hotel. This trip I decided to switch to the Independent which proved to be the right choice. From the friendly desk clerks, the relaxed environment to the large room with soaring ceilings, everything worked wonderfully. This is now my new hotel destination in Philly, especially with the perfect location in Center City.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Andover, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I prefer boutique hotels over brand name box hotels and The Independent Hotel is a Philly boutique hotel with a little over 20 rooms that is conveniently located within walking distance to everything. There is a parking lot across the street and a parking garage down the street. The subway is close by.

My wife and stayed at The Independent during the Christmas holiday. We were met by Colin at the front desk. (Oh, and the lobby is on the second floor of the building). Colin helped us check in and recommended some restaurants that were open on Christmas Day. Since we got there early, our room wasn’t ready, but we opted to take a room on the second floor. Big mistake! There was an unbearable humming coming from inside the wall that was a motor, generator, pump or something. It would turn off then either immediately come back on or wait a few minutes and then turn back on. I believe it was room 207. When it began to annoy me, I went to the front desk, which was now manned by Eric. Eric came into the room and also heard the noise, but he thought it was the bathroom heater. He turned off the heat and the humming stopped. I was relieved. But when we came back at night after dinner, the humming was there and did not turn off when I turned off the heat. It was definitely a different noise. I could hear the sound of the heater over the humming. It made for a really bad night of sleeping. Not only that, the next morning maintenance guy came into our room without knocking or announcing himself. My wife was still sleeping. He excused himself and left.

I immediately got dressed then went out to the front desk to complain about the noise and the intrusion. Colin and the maintenance man apologized and he still tried to explain why he entered. Whether there is a guest in the room or not, a hotel employee should always announce oneself. Hospitality 101! Since we were staying for three nights, I asked to switch rooms. Colin had no problem and moved us into room 405; the only room on the fourth floor and it was quiet. We loved it.

The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast with a choice of fruit, juice, cereal, oatmeal or muffin and yogurt. Packaged goods, but was a nice surprise that we weren’t expecting. We could make coffee in the room with a Keurig machine, or make coffee, tea or hot chocolate down in the lobby.

They also offer a wine and cheese reception Monday through Thursday evening. Monday night we went down to the lobby, there was wine but no cheese. Seems that they get their cheese platter from the restaurant on the first floor but it was closed on Monday (Christmas Eve) and somebody forgot to tell them. They would also be closed Christmas day so no cheese on Tuesday. But there was a choice of two bottles of white (nobody wanted red) and when one emptied, Eric brought out another. When the other guests left for dinner, my wife and I had a friendly conversation with Eric who I thought was a very nice guy. Since he also had to work Christmas night, we brought him back a dessert from the restaurant and he was grateful.

The negatives: noisy room 207, maintenance man entering unannounced, paint splatters on hardwood floors and housecleaning needs to clean more thoroughly (found dust collecting in certain areas). Lamp on desk was coming apart. No cheese at reception.

The positives: Big rooms, great location, free breakfast, coffee and wine. Wonderful staff (Colin and Eric), hardwood floors and brick walls and chocolate kisses at front desk. I liked the original art by a local artist that was three stories high.

Overall, we had a very good experience. I would recommend The Independent Hotel , but if you are a light sleeper stay away from room 207.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!