“Effortless, relaxing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York City, New York
“Effortless, relaxing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I visit Philly often and have always stayed at the same hotel. This trip I decided to switch to the Independent which proved to be the right choice. From the friendly desk clerks, the relaxed environment to the large room with soaring ceilings, everything worked wonderfully. This is now my new hotel destination in Philly, especially with the perfect location in Center City.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Andover, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I prefer boutique hotels over brand name box hotels and The Independent Hotel is a Philly boutique hotel with a little over 20 rooms that is conveniently located within walking distance to everything. There is a parking lot across the street and a parking garage down the street. The subway is close by.

My wife and stayed at The Independent during the Christmas holiday. We were met by Colin at the front desk. (Oh, and the lobby is on the second floor of the building). Colin helped us check in and recommended some restaurants that were open on Christmas Day. Since we got there early, our room wasn’t ready, but we opted to take a room on the second floor. Big mistake! There was an unbearable humming coming from inside the wall that was a motor, generator, pump or something. It would turn off then either immediately come back on or wait a few minutes and then turn back on. I believe it was room 207. When it began to annoy me, I went to the front desk, which was now manned by Eric. Eric came into the room and also heard the noise, but he thought it was the bathroom heater. He turned off the heat and the humming stopped. I was relieved. But when we came back at night after dinner, the humming was there and did not turn off when I turned off the heat. It was definitely a different noise. I could hear the sound of the heater over the humming. It made for a really bad night of sleeping. Not only that, the next morning maintenance guy came into our room without knocking or announcing himself. My wife was still sleeping. He excused himself and left.

I immediately got dressed then went out to the front desk to complain about the noise and the intrusion. Colin and the maintenance man apologized and he still tried to explain why he entered. Whether there is a guest in the room or not, a hotel employee should always announce oneself. Hospitality 101! Since we were staying for three nights, I asked to switch rooms. Colin had no problem and moved us into room 405; the only room on the fourth floor and it was quiet. We loved it.

The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast with a choice of fruit, juice, cereal, oatmeal or muffin and yogurt. Packaged goods, but was a nice surprise that we weren’t expecting. We could make coffee in the room with a Keurig machine, or make coffee, tea or hot chocolate down in the lobby.

They also offer a wine and cheese reception Monday through Thursday evening. Monday night we went down to the lobby, there was wine but no cheese. Seems that they get their cheese platter from the restaurant on the first floor but it was closed on Monday (Christmas Eve) and somebody forgot to tell them. They would also be closed Christmas day so no cheese on Tuesday. But there was a choice of two bottles of white (nobody wanted red) and when one emptied, Eric brought out another. When the other guests left for dinner, my wife and I had a friendly conversation with Eric who I thought was a very nice guy. Since he also had to work Christmas night, we brought him back a dessert from the restaurant and he was grateful.

The negatives: noisy room 207, maintenance man entering unannounced, paint splatters on hardwood floors and housecleaning needs to clean more thoroughly (found dust collecting in certain areas). Lamp on desk was coming apart. No cheese at reception.

The positives: Big rooms, great location, free breakfast, coffee and wine. Wonderful staff (Colin and Eric), hardwood floors and brick walls and chocolate kisses at front desk. I liked the original art by a local artist that was three stories high.

Overall, we had a very good experience. I would recommend The Independent Hotel , but if you are a light sleeper stay away from room 207.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We received a stay here as a post-wedding gift, and were really looking for it. However, when we arrived we were met with a very frosty reception from the receptionist, who claimed not to be able to see our request for an early check in (this was about 1 pm). We were shocked at how rude she was - indeed she almost brought my wife to tears -, but when the manager arrived, she behaved very differently and managed to find us a room. (All the other staff, particularly the cleaning staff, were great). We spoke to some other guests who had the same experience.

The room was interesting, and quite comfy and handsome, although it was tricky to shut the blinds, as the handle was behind an overhang, the corner of the bed was lethal, and the rubber coating on the light switches in the bathroom warm. The covers of the bed were also on the worn side, and not as soft as we thought they would be.

We were high up, but overlooking Locust Street, which was very noisy with taxis and revellers until about 3 in the morning. There is no secondary glazing, so bring earplugs, if you are a light sleeper.

The check in left such an unpleasant feeling, and we we so tired from lack of sleep, that we checked out the next morning. A shame, as it's a great location, fab building, and could be a great hotel.

We wrote an email to the manager detailing our issues with the hotel, but sadly never received a response.

Room Tip: Have a room at the back if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IndependentHotel, Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Matthew S,

Thank you for choosing the The Independent on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Philadelphia.

I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

I apologize again for the problems, and thank you for taking the time to let me know about it. Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services. We look forward to your return to the area.

Leah Lucas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

A wonderful hotel, perfect location for a city-break. Near all the shops and local attractions. Walking distances from restaurants, shopping, Liberty bell and other Philly tourist sites. Gorgeous room with Kitchenette which was great (fridge, tea/coffemaking facilities) and a microwave. Superfriendly staff who couldnt do enough for us. Spacious room, big bathroom. Fab hotel.

Room Tip: #503 was gorgeous. You can experience some noise from the bar on the corner however (we were there a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Nice personnel, pretty room, good bathroom, centrally located. A very comfortable place to stay. One suggestion: the TVs in room are oddly place (facing the windows!). I would -- and have certainly recommended the Independent to others. The personnel were more than helpful -- when the TV refused to switch on -- TV's are weird at the Independent, facing the windows of the room -- 2 of their personnel came to help out and fix the TV

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The rooms are modern, very comfortable and I love the high ceilings. The bathroom was very spacious with great lighting. Very good value for the price. It is very walkable to many attractions downtown. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sandy Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I love this little hotel and its location in the Gayborhood which is filled with wonderful restaurants. This is a gem in the city. It's clean and the rooms are large. Also this hotel has great prices. I would recommend this for business or pleasure. There is a parking lot right across from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!