Were here only one night but easily could imagine staying a week. From the warm, friendly and very helpful greeting when we arrived, we knew it would be a good stay. Arriving via Amtrak, we got to the hotel before 11:00 a.m. and check-in was smooth and friendly. [Reception is on the second floor, reached via a small elevator.] The friendly reception staff welcomed us to the hotel, offered coffee, soft drinks and bathroom, gave us an orientation, stored our luggage,etc.
Later that afternoon, we returned to find our bags were already in our rooms and the rooms themselves were a nice surprise: clean, comfortable, high ceilings, exposed brickwork, large comfortable bed, small desk, TV, refrigerator, coffee maker, free internet and a large bathroom (shower, no tub). For $139 (AAA discount) plus tax, we expected much higher rates for a major city. There are more expensive rooms as well. Ours were 307 and 207 and both of us agreed that we would easily book The Independent again. If you need large hotel services (business center, conference facilities, dry cleaning and laundry, etc.), this is not the place for you, but I travel often and honestly rarely use all of the hotel services anyway. There is a bar and restaurant on the ground floor--not sure if it is affiliated with the hotel--but there are so many wine bars, restaurants, lounges and other places nearby as well.
Location is fantastic for just about anything you want to do. Within just a 4 block walk in any direction are more restaurants and bars to last a month of meals. Tourist sites, cultural attractions, shopping and the like are all either within walking distance or--for the more distant ones or in bad weather--a short and inexpensive taxi ride away. The hotel offers complimentary light breakfast delivered to the room (in a basket left at the door @ the time you specify). Mine consisted of orange juice, fresh fruit, a croissant with strawberry preserves and yogurt; I made coffee in the room. They have a free wine and cheese reception every night, but we were out and did not try it.
Overall, it was a great stay and a surprising find.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Independent is a 24-room boutique hotel located in a fully restored Georgian-Revival building located at 1234 Locust Street in the vibrant Midtown Village area of Center City, Philadelphia. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, The Independent is ideal for tourists and business travelers looking for a grand feel in a boutique, personalized hotel experience. Our guests experience luxury accommodations in the heart of Philadelphia, and are able to walk to theaters, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rittenhouse and other Philadelphia attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Independent reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Independent Boutique Hotel Philadelphia