“Very well-appointed and well-located” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Independent

You added The Independent to your Saves list
The Independent
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1234 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (Formerly The Inn on Locust) (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington, DC
“Very well-appointed and well-located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I spent one night at The Independent Hotel in early Oct. in a king deluxe for single use, and I loved it! The room was very well-appointed with comfortable furniture; rich décor; and a spacious bathroom that had a shower with a wonderful double-shower head, lots of hot water, and great water pressure. The breakfast was there when I had requested it, with all the items I selected; the options include a very reasonable (but understandably not unlimited, array of normal breakfast options) - one could choose to have one each of a fruit (apple or orange), juice (orange or cranberry), cereal/grain (as I recall, oatmeal, a cereal, granola bar, or croissant), and yogurt (1 of 2 or 3 different flavors). It was nice to be able to make coffee in my room whenever I wanted.

The hotel is also very well-located, close to various bus and subway stops and within what I considered an easy walking distance of Rittenhouse Square and City Hall.

The Independent is not a full-service hotel. If that's what you are seeking, you might be disappointed. I was not looking for that, and was very well satisfied.

I look forward to my next stay at The Independent Hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
IndependentHotel, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hi KJA,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. We are not able to be a full service property but I am glad that you found our limited service options fit for your needs. I really appreciate the kind words and am glad we were able to make your stay memorable.

I look forward to your next visit with us!

Cheers,
-Erin Fitzharris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

FABULOUS place to stay! Lovely building inside and out, cozy little lobby (on the 2d floor) with a fireplace and seating area which is stocked at all times with fruits, juices, water, coffee, teas (with REAL 1/2 & 1/2) for the taking, 24/7. Wine & cheese in the early evening is VERY tasty and comfortable. Two tall bottles of delicious teas were waiting for me in my room, and there were Hershey's Kisses on the pillow. Small fridge, Krups coffee and tea maker (NO crappy, burnt coffee taste!) and a microwave add to the comfort here. Can't say enough about the entire staff. Every person I saw was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I had to get some documents printed, and when I asked about where to go, THEY did it (nice paper and it cost NOTHING.) Wi-Fi also included. There is a computer to use if you need one. The location could not be better. I had to work the entire time (2 nights, 3 days), but enjoyed a few walks outside. Even late at night the neighborhood is alive and very active. For a spectacular cheesesteak sandwich, don't miss Pandora's Lunch Box right around the corner (Walnut St.) The front desk has extra menus. Get parking included in your reservation. That cost $10/night extra and is worth it! The well-lit lot is steps away and even they are attentive and friendly. I felt VERY safe at all hours and I was traveling alone. I can't stop talking about this hotel. One of my all-time Most Favorite Places to stay.

Room Tip: My room (208) was one of the smaller ones, but it was pretty big! I heard NO traffic. Bed was VERY...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HI MyMauiBoston,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a genuine and thoughtful review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we able to take advantage of all we have to offer.I hope your able to stay with us again soon!

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I think we might have caught the woman at the front desk in a bad mood when we checked in, but everything else about our one-night stay was great. The room was large, with a very comfortable bed and high ceilings. There was only a shower and no tub, and we had a view of another building, but that wasn't very important to us. The wine and cheese in the evenings is a really nice touch. The location was convenient to walk to Rittenhouse Square for dinner. I used Chase Ultimate Rewards to book this hotel, but I'd pay to stay there again the next time I'm in Philadelphia.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HI caipirinha3

Thank you for your review. I do sincerely apologize for your experience at check in. Please accept my apologies. I will be sure to look into this and address it.

Otherwise I am delighted you were able to enjoy yourself once checked in. I appreciate your mention of returning to the hotel, regardless of your check-in experience. We would be delighted to have you back! I do welcome you back at any time and if there is anything I can do to make your next trip more comfortable, please let me know. Thank you.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I arrived at The Independent hotel in Center City as I was looking for a good night of sleep after a few days of intensive work... I needed a quiet room so I could rest and had the chance to run into to the General Manager, Erin Fitzharris (thanks to the letter so I can spell her name correctly), who was very nice and hospitable and managed to get me a quiet room on the last floor - which I desperately needed... The bathroom was pretty big but no bath tub though. Anyway, thanks again, the service was great and I was able to fall in the arms of Morpheus!

Room Tip: Last floor is quiet!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IndependentHotel, General Manager at The Independent, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Hi JeCat,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us - and a peaceful nights rest. It was wonderful to meet you and I welcome you back anytime. After a long week of work, there is nothing like a peaceful nights rest.

Cheers,
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Truly my favorite! I stay here whenever possible. I've stayed in a zillion hotels in Philly and this is the best one for me. The service is great. the rooms are comfortable and dont really have a hotel feel to them, they are homier. The beds are super comfortable. The location is perfectly walkable to anywhere and it's a great nieghborhood for strolling around. A healthy little breakfast is included, as well as wine and cheese in the evening.. Free internet. And they give a free gym pass to the 12th street gym, which is WAAAAAY better than any gym you would find in a hotel. Truly fantastic in every way........

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Bonsa35,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review. We really appreciate it and are delighted to know you enjoy the hotel so much. Its always nice to hear that our guests are enjoying the many complimentary amenities we offer in addition to the beautiful sites and sounds that our neighborhood offers. I hope you will stay with us again!

Take care.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

First time to Philly and the Independent made our stay even better than we had hoped! Great location we walked nearly everywhere and we had a beautiful room and a huge bathroom. Quiet room with a comfy bed. There was cheese and wine int the evenings which we didn't have time to have but was a really nice touch. Breakfast delivered to the room was plentiful and romantic. Loved our stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi FreedaMagic,

thank you for your review and your patronage at our hotel. I am delighted your first trip to Philadelphia was so enjoyable and I am glad the Independent was able to help make it special. We are here for you anytime you chose to return.

Safe travels,
Sincerly
-Erin Fitzharris
Robesonia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed here for a night out in philly. I arrived promptly at 3 pm, check in time. I was told the room would be ready in a couple of minutes. I went to a local restaurant to get a snack. Upon my arrival, a new employee was on for the shift. She stated that the room would not be ready for approximately 20 minutes. I questioned her about this because the check in time is 3 pm. She stated, "She is cleaning the room as fast as she can. She can't go any faster!" The woman had a significant attitude and I did not want to question her any further. I then asked a couple minutes later if there would be another room available because I had to get ready for a 5 o'clock dinner reservation. She was able to get a room quicker but it made me late to my dinner reservation by the time I was able to get ready. She gave me a voucher for free parking to make up for the delay in the room. The room was very clean and large. The bed is literally one of the most comfortable beds i've ever slept in. The morning breakfast is a basket they deliver to your room. It's okay for a quick bite to eat. I went to the local gym, which you get to go to for free in the price of your room. The gym was about a block away and very nice. The parking was also about a block away in a parking garage. Typically, it costs 15 dollars for an overnight stay. I'd recommend the hotel to others. It seems like my interaction with the employee was a rare occasion based on the other reviews i've read. However, I still cannot believe the way she spoke to us. It was very unprofessional. It was a little loud outside when I was going to sleep. I put some music on the in room docking station and I fell right asleep. If you are a really light sleeper you may want to request a room on a higher up floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HI Traci D,

Thank you for joining us at the Independent Hotel. I do sincerely apologize for your check in experience. I assure you this is not how we want your welcome experience at our hotel to occur. Please accept my apologies. Our staff works hard to delivery polished and refined service to all guests at all times, so this is very unusual for our staff. I will be sure to look into this and address it.

Otherwise I am delighted you were able to enjoy yourself once checked in. I appreciate your mention of recommending the hotel, regardless of your check-in experience. I do welcome you back at any time and if there is anything I can do to make your next trip more comfortable, please let me know. Thank you.

Erin Fitzharris

Been to The Independent? Share your experiences!