“I don't get all of the buzz” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Zahav

Zahav
237 Saint James Pl, Philadelphia, PA 19106-3936 (City Center East)
215-625-8800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zahav is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 3,724 restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Dock Street at Walnut (Between 2nd & 3rd)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“I don't get all of the buzz”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I tried it out during restaurant week and it was only ok. Some people love it here. Maybe I didnt order the best dishes.

89% Recommend
Richmond, Virginia
“Delicious, but definitely "small" plates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was very excited to visit this restaurant- it was near the top of my "to-do" list in Philadelphia. The laffa was tasty, and the duck hearts were fantastic. We also enjoyed the chicken freekah. My boyfriend enjoyed the hanger steak, and the striped bass was cooked perfectly. I wish they had slightly larger servings, but on the whole, it was a lovely experience. The servers were attentive and the decor was welcoming. They music was a bit out of place, but not intrusive. I would eat here again just to sample some different dishes.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Out of the ordinary fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here and was blown away by the unique food and drinks of Zahav. The out of the ordinary cuisine and beverages made for a one of a kind dinning experience. We enjoyed the chiefs choice menu that ended with a succulently braised lamb shoulder. Delicious.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia PA
“And now, for something completely different...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

With some adventurous friends, I visited this Israeli restaurant for dinner. It's in a nice location, at the base of the Society Hill towers along Philadelphia's waterfront. The place is beautiful, with large glass windows -- walls, really -- that afford a good view of the neighborhood. For folks like us, the menu was a bit intimidating, but our waitress good-naturedly explained everything. This is a tapas-type restaurant, with lots of foods on "little plates." We decided to go with the tasting menu, each of us (there were six) selecting two smaller dishes and one more substantial one. Everything was for sharing. None of us dared to try some of the more exotic offerings (like duck hearts), but we did order a nice range of dishes. Pretty soon, servers began putting food on the table, dish after dish. Hummus and wonderful bread to start, lots of little appetizers, then the smal plates and finally the bigger ones. Don't ask me to catalog what I ate -- some of the food was unfamiliar, but I did savor wonderful fried cauliflower (evidently a Zahav specialty) and roasted brussel sprouts and melt-in-your mouth ground lamb. What I do know is that everything was delicious. A few of the little dishes were hot-spicy, particularly innocent-looking green beans with a red topping that made my eyes water. But I still enjoyed them and came back for more. Dessert was a cool parfait that was perfect after all the tastes of the meal. The service could not have been better. Zahav has a full bar and I can vouch for the quality of their martinis. This an interesting, fun place with food that won't disappoint. It's a bit pricey, but not out of line for that neighborhood.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delicious Mediterranean Tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Ordered the tasting menu which is reasonably priced and left very satisfied. Great variety and flavors in ALL of the dishes. I recommend the brussel sprouts, fried sheep's milk cheese and lamb meatballs.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere