“Best Yet” 5 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site was once the most famous and expensive prison in the world, but stands today in ruin, a haunting world of crumbling cellblocks and empty guard towers. Known for its grand architecture and strict discipline, this was the world’s first true “penitentiary,” a prison designed to inspire penitence, or true regret, in the hearts of convicts. Tours today include the cellblocks, solitary punishment cells, Al Capone’s Cell, and Death Row.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Best Yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Can't say anything bad. The self guided tour was the best I ever had. My husband and family enjoyed every minute. My husband that did not want to go to this attraction said at the end it was one of his fav's in Philli. My 20 year old son was very intested in everything and our 17 year old daughter loved it also.This was my choice of attraction from the city pass and happy I choose it.

Visited August 2012

Deerfield, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
“I always wondered what was behind those walls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My grandparents lived 4 blocks from there, and my dad drove me past there every Sunday in the '50s. He told me about Willie Sutton and the 1945 escape, told me about Capone being there. I always wondered what was behind those walls. This is a great tour. The prison was a landmark of its time, and influenced penal philosophy worldwide. The tour price includes a very detailed audio guide resource narrated by Steve Busceme. If you're a photographer, bring a tripod.

Visited November 2012
penzance
5 attraction reviews
“Pretty cool place...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've lived in Philadelphia for over 14 years and its the first time I've visited. Definately give yourself a couple hours. I think my sister and i spent over 3. The audio tour is very cool especially if you arent one who likes to read. The price was 12$ for adults and there was a parking lot next door that was very reasonable for Philly parking. Great way to spend an afternoon. It can be a bit chilly depending on when you are there. But heaters are placed in certain areas for you to warm up. (we went when it was in the low 50's)

Visited November 2012
Moorestown, New Jersey
22 attraction reviews
“What a blast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We went with another couple and two teenage girls. It started out to be somewhat lame while we were still outside. However, once we got inside, it was the best that I had ever experienced. The strobe lights, three D, mist, many moving "monsters", props and the unique feel of being in a prison overwhelmed the senses. We really had a lot of fun. We got the VIP passes which were expensive and not really needed the night that we went. If the line was long, perhaps they would have been. The one caution that I have for everyone is that if you struggle with asthma, bring your inhaler. The fog is intense and my daughter had a hard time breathing. Also, if you are incredibly claustrophobic, you may want to reconsider. If the last two don't apply, then go. The monsters do love screaming ladies so bring a few if you want extra laughs.

Visited October 2012
delran, nj
5 attraction reviews
“halloween or anytime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place is seriously spooky - middle of the day or <shiver> middle of the night! Volunteers keep it going - very well done! A must visit in Philly!