“I wouldn't stay here again if it was up to me” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Fort Worth, Texas
“I wouldn't stay here again if it was up to me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

I was in Philadelphia for a conference starting Friday, June 16th through Wednesday, June 21st. I did not have a choice as to where we stayed because our office booked this hotel in regards to the conference that we were attending and by the time they booked it, there weren't a lot of options. When we arrived around 1:30pm on Friday (which was before check-in time), we were able to get into our non-smoking, double bed room. Check-in was smooth and they took care of us right away. As we went up to our room, we noticed that there was no air conditioning in the elevators, nor the hallways. Once we got to our room, which was 2017, the room was clean, nice looking beds and everything looked up to par. We left our things and headed out to site see. The concierge was very helpful with directions and suggestions on resturaunts. We even had her look up tickets to see the Broadway Show "The Lion King" once we figured out that it was in town and she was very helpful. However, we did have some service issues. We had to call 3 nights in a row to get some washcloths, not to mention our comode stopped up one day and we had to call them back again that evening because it was not fixed. Then on Tuesday we had been out of our room by 8:30 am and returned around 6:15pm to find that our rooms had not been cleaned that day yet, AT ALL!! Several times our bathroom was not cleaned, just new towels were placed in there but hair was all over the floor. There was no pen or paper in the room and when we tried to access wireless internet, it said that it wasn't a secured connection, so our course we weren't going to pay 15.00 to log on to an unsecure server. We did eat at the Shula's resturaunt because the other 2 girls with me had eaten there before. The service was very slow and our original waiter never checked on us after we got our dinner nor did he finish waiting on us, he passed us on to another waiter. The food was good though. I had the Mahi Mahi and my 2 friends had filets. There didn't seem to be too many people in there eating at all. I guess they had heard some of the reviews before.

As far as location, it was great. We walked all around the city and did plenty of site seeing and were fine with the walking. The beds were very comfortable so we did get some sleep at night and at least the air conditioner worked in the room. Our view was nice as well being on the 20th floor. We did have to go several times to get new keys because our keys just quit working. The day we left someone told us if your key comes in contact with a drivers license, bank card or credit card that it voids it. WELL no one told us that!! Also, I did workout 3 days in the gym and there was ABSOLUTELY NO A/C!!! Thank goodness I am in my late 20s and in good shape so I coud tolerate the heat...barely....but anyone older would probably have a hard time breathing.

I am aware that they have changed owners from the Wyndam to the Sheraton so maybe they are still trying to work out some specifics, however if you have a choice, then I wouldn't recommend staying here unless none of these things matter to you.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Bristol, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

I travel frequently, and I am a pretty permissive traveler -- I don't complain much about accomodations. But the faults at this place were inexcusable. Stayed here with family over 2 nights, we had 2 rooms between us for 4 people. First problem was that we were not aware the name of hotel had been changed, and even when we called the hotel upon getting lost asking for the Wyndham, they never mentioned the fact that they were no longer a Wyndham. A small thing that could've been overlooked... but upon finally arriving, the hotel denied having our reservations despite the fact that we had booked them months in advance. The hotel finally gave us 2 rooms. When we arrived in our rooms, in one of the rooms immediately upon walking in my family noticed CRUSTY WHITE STAINS ON THE BEDSPREAD on both beds. It was pretty obvious what the stains were. We checked the sheets in the other room and they were also stained. The stains were too obvious to be an oversight. We called down to have the sheets changed. The next morning when we woke up we had been automatically checked out of one of the rooms somehow, but not the second room, even though we reserved both rooms for 2 days. We went down to clear it with the staff.... they were all very rude and standoffish, finally when we got the Manager on Duty HALF AN HOUR LATER we were told that the problem had already been fixed. It turns out that when we came downstairs to address the issue a member of the staff had fixed the problem in the computer immediately... but stayed at the far end of the counter and never told us the problem was fixed, so we wasted time standing there waiting and then when we got the manager they acted like we were crazy because the problem had been fixed. When we confronted the staff member about why we just weren't told why the problem was fixed, they had an attitude and replied that we were too busy complaining for her to tell us... after we had been STANDING THERE WAITING FOR THE MANAGER for half an hour. Needless to say we asked for everyone's names at the desk so we could write a letter.... the next morning one of our rooms (the one registered to the person who threatened to write the letter) was not cleaned at all in retaliation....beds werent made or anything. As I said, I travel a lot and I was astounded by the poor quality of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

What an amazing hotel!!!! I stayed at this hotel for four nights while on a personal trip to visit some friends. Definitely can say that my expectations were far exceeded. The hotel was extremely clean and the room I stayed in was very spacious. The staff was always greetable and friendly and they did everything possible to make my stay a comfortable one. For a hotel of this quality, I would've expected to pay more but instead I ended up with a fabulous rate that I could not pass up. Plus, the location of this hotel could not get any better. With "City Center" as part of the title with this hotel, they were certainly not kidding. This hotel is in the heart of downtown Philadelphia and that made it very easy to get around and to see everything there was to see. There is everything around this hotel whether it was shopping we did or a restaurant for lunch or dinner, there was always numerous options to choose from. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I know me when I return to Philadelphia for my next trip in the near future, this is where I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed April 2006
Basking Ridge, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

For the price I paid, this place was fine. Other than time spent sleeping, I was only in the room for a couple hours. Didn't bother with the staff, and the $25 for parking is expected. My phone didn't work nor was there a pen in the room. Had I gone in with higher expectations I would've given a 2-star review, but the bed was comfortable and the staff competent enough.

• Stayed June 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2006

I really didn't think that this place could possibly be as bad as it's reviews says it was and I found a great rate right here on TRIPADVISOR for $52 but, nothing in life is free, trust me!

From the complacent front desk clerks, to the filthy hotel room, to the overpriced food in their "only dinner restaurant, Shula's), to the damage to my car (of which they claimed NO responsibility!) they owed ME money for staying here!

Don't ever come here! Not matter how cheap the place is, because even then you'll be over paying!

• Stayed May 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

I booked three rooms in the middle of May for my graduation from Penn. One of the rooms on the non-smoking floor reaked of smoke. After three calls, two personal requests and five hours of waiting, they sent an "ionizer" which was suppose to rid the room of smoke...it did not. Daily complaints resulted in no change. The cafe had great wait service, but no food service. The first time we ate there (food poor), we waited 40 minutes for food to arrive. The next day I alerted the waiter to time constraints. After one hour of waiting, he said the kitchen hadn't even gotten to the order, we left. One room had no coffee pot or supplies. We requested replacement each day, it was never done. Because the hotel was busy, it took 40 minutes to check in times three rooms, and more than an hour to check out. They double charged us for two of the rooms, and over charged us for all of the rooms, over the rate they had quoted. Shuyler's Resturant was horrible. The service was slow, the meat badly prepared and they had no way of accomodating small children with either a children's menu or smaller plates. They told us everything was ala carte. so we ordered side dishes, only to discover the entree's came with vegetables. We mentioned this to them: oh was the response. They added 18% tip on the bill, after asking us how we liked the food and we said, "not very much". We paid $400 for a meal that wasn't worth $100. Skip eating there, and skip the cafe (where the food is bad and the kitchen can't keep up with the orders). After leaving we discovered they charged us several times for each of the rooms we stayed in. We are still attempting to get them to correct this.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

I stayed at the Sheraton Franklin Plaza for a three-day conference in May. This is a nice hotel but it has just switched from Wyndham to Sheraton and it showed in the housekeeping. The room was cleaned nicely but was missing the usual amenities (when did you ever run out of toilet paper in a hotel?). Still, my calls for new supplies where met promptly. Also, I received a call to make sure that I got the item. The room was comfortable. I wish they had more than a dozen cable channels (note to those with kids: no Nick, Disney or Cartoon Network).

There is a nice looking lobby with a conveniently located bar. Breakfast is very expensive so you'll have to look elsewhere (such as Yannees (sp) which is two blocks away).

The biggest downside with this hotel is the location. It's not near any sites or shopping. As a result, you're three or four blocks from any activity. This made it impossible to get back and forth to Redding Market during a lunch break. As a result, I suggest being closer to Rittenhouse Square or Independence Hall.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!