“average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #52 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Twin peaks, CA
“average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

The pool was smelly, dirty, and had no hottub. The staff was friendly and easy to deal with, but the hotel is old and appears unclean inside. The no-smoking room still smelled like smoke, but it was tolerable. The rate was affordable and the location in downtown is wonderful. The views from the rooms are great, but we won't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2006

Got a great deal on the hotel. The room was a bit dark, a bulb was out in the bathroom and the shower curtian liner didn't quite fit, but it was a very pleasant stay. The room was huge and overall nice. The staff was great and very helpful.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

In reading the reviews (after I stayed but I wish I had before) you can tell that the hotel suffers the mark of poor management, real inconsistent service.

I stayed there the last weekend of February with two of my associates (we work for a local company in town that just signed an agreement with the hotel to put our rooms there). We found the lobby to be very worn, the hallways to be frighteningly dark and dingy (one of my associates was a female traveler and refused to leave her room unless we knew when she was coming and going) and my room to be in bad need of a major remodeling.

One night we went into the restaurant together and paid way too much for a Denny's-type steak with service that was simply OK. They told me that this was their "upscale restaurant". It was upscale in price only.

I would not stay at this hotel again and have contacted my company to tell them that we need to go back to the other hotel in town even though it costs more. The travel secretary told us that she'd heard other compaints form our company travelers as well.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

For the price and location, this hotel is a very good option. We stayed for only one night, February 10th. The hotel is easy to get to from 95. Parking was difficult since they have a small 2 level underground garage but they allowed us to self-park in the valet area, they were very accommodating and helpful. When we checked in originally the room we received had half eaten wheel of cheese and some drinks in it, the bathroom had also been used. After a quick call to the front desk they provided us with another room, sans cheese and with a clean bathroom. It was all very swift and painless. They sent us a basket of snacks, drinks and wine for the inconvenience. It was unexpected and unnecessary but much appreciated.

They went out of their way to make it up to us when other hotels would have been less responsive and more inconvenient just to get another room. The hotel treated us like the rooms were more expensive and we were valued guests. The staff was very courteous and friendly. It was busy during our stay as there was a conference being held there but that did not negatively affect our experience in any way. The lobby bar was a nice place to lounge and again the bartender was attentive and sociable. Our room was spacious, clean and offered a great view. The bathrooms seemed recently renovated and were very pleasant. The location to the Franklin Institute can’t be beat and there are numerous little restaurants and bars in the area that are safe to walk to. Check out was a breeze as it was available to do so over the TV.

I was apprehensive about this hotel initially since I was unfamiliar with it and the city in general but was very pleased with the end result and would suggest it to anyone looking to stay in that area of Philadelphia.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

My friend and I booked this hotel sight unseen for our first trip to Philly. We were so pleasantly surprised. The room was very large, nicely decorated and very clean. The staff was courteous and helpful. We walked to the Liberty Bell, etc. and walked back. Liked it so much, I've booked it for a family trip next week. I'm sorry others have not had
the same positive experience. They should give it another try, and I'll report back on my second stay.

• Stayed April 2005
Jersey Shore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2006

You people just love reporting every little bad thing, but don't take the time the write the good things! People just love to complain!!!The hotel was nice and I don't recall seeing a dirty room or a worn- out lobby! My room was very clean and the rest of the property looked great. It was well worth the rate I paid. If you are looking for a good deal on a city hotel, try out the Wyndham! Don't listen to all these negative people.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2006

we stayed the hotel for one night.checking and check out was very easy. staffs were very pleasant and helpful. room was very clean and nice. the parking fee $ 25 dollar was little bit high. we got a good price through hotwire. i strongly agree that this is good bargain.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!