I stay at the Wyndham every year for five days for a convention.
The staff is generally very helpful although the building itself, is a 1970's cast concrete structure unhappilly sited on a huge wind-swept (conrete ) plaza. It can be instructive when you want to show your children about the unfortunate results of urban renewal projects which completely ignore the scale of the surrounding area.
HOWEVER It's the Wyndham ownership's sad attempt to make people use their tenant-restaurant that drives most of us out of the hotel for dinner.
FURTHERMORE, the Wyndham has their own excellent full-service restaurant that USED to be open until 10pm. Now it's closed in the evenings in favor of a very uninspired SHULA's.
SO if you want to eat IN in the evening Shula's is your only choice. The menus are printed on footballs and their whole presentation is geared toward people who are easily impressed: 22oz steaks and larger, potatoes that are 12 inches long (but grossly undercooked) and a limited (albeit overpriced) menu selection. The waiter shows you the cuts of raw meat on a roving cart. A LIVE lobster is on display too --right out in the open next to the saran-wrapped beef. His pinschers are rubber-banded together and all water is out of reach.
BUT THERE'S A SOLUTION: Go to one of the many outstanding Philly restaurants! Or for convenience AND good food WALK out the back door of the Wyndham to the St. George Restaurant (1422 Race St.)
They're open 24 hours and they LISTEN to your requests about how you want your food done. Their menu reflects an intelligent kind of experience AND they stock a full bar!
On your way there notice the neighborhood: 2 and 3 story masonary-construction buildings built primarially between 1860 and 1925. (A tiny bit of what makes Philadelphia really unique!)
PS For the record, Restaurants in Shula's RESORTS should not be confused with Shula's Restaurants in Wyndham Hotels. The resort restaurants are quite satisfactory with a much broader, more continental menu.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown hotel is near the Franklin Institute, the Convention Center, and many corporations. We have 757 guest rooms, free wifi, and 38 meeting rooms/58,000 sq ft of event space ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Starwood, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Philadelphia City Center Hotel
- Sheraton City Center Hotel
- Sheraton Hotel Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Sheraton