“Hotel OK but skip Shula's in favor of St. George !” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #47 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
A TripAdvisor Member
“Hotel OK but skip Shula's in favor of St. George !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2004

I stay at the Wyndham every year for five days for a convention.

The staff is generally very helpful although the building itself, is a 1970's cast concrete structure unhappilly sited on a huge wind-swept (conrete ) plaza. It can be instructive when you want to show your children about the unfortunate results of urban renewal projects which completely ignore the scale of the surrounding area.

HOWEVER It's the Wyndham ownership's sad attempt to make people use their tenant-restaurant that drives most of us out of the hotel for dinner.

FURTHERMORE, the Wyndham has their own excellent full-service restaurant that USED to be open until 10pm. Now it's closed in the evenings in favor of a very uninspired SHULA's.

SO if you want to eat IN in the evening Shula's is your only choice. The menus are printed on footballs and their whole presentation is geared toward people who are easily impressed: 22oz steaks and larger, potatoes that are 12 inches long (but grossly undercooked) and a limited (albeit overpriced) menu selection. The waiter shows you the cuts of raw meat on a roving cart. A LIVE lobster is on display too --right out in the open next to the saran-wrapped beef. His pinschers are rubber-banded together and all water is out of reach.

BUT THERE'S A SOLUTION: Go to one of the many outstanding Philly restaurants! Or for convenience AND good food WALK out the back door of the Wyndham to the St. George Restaurant (1422 Race St.)

ST. GEORGE
They're open 24 hours and they LISTEN to your requests about how you want your food done. Their menu reflects an intelligent kind of experience AND they stock a full bar!

On your way there notice the neighborhood: 2 and 3 story masonary-construction buildings built primarially between 1860 and 1925. (A tiny bit of what makes Philadelphia really unique!)

PS For the record, Restaurants in Shula's RESORTS should not be confused with Shula's Restaurants in Wyndham Hotels. The resort restaurants are quite satisfactory with a much broader, more continental menu.

1,442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2004

Although the hotel had recently been refurbished, the decor was drab and depressing. The lobby was as dull as ditchwater and there was no feeling of 'specialness' anywhere in the hotel. I'm definitely not staying there again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2004

October, 2004 - I wanted to take my wife away fro the weekend so I reluctantly tried th Wyndham in Philly; despite the bad reviews. We were greeted very nicely, checked in smoothly, and were whisked toour room very quickly. Because i'm a Wyndham by-rewards membere, there were some nice goodies awaiting us in our spacious room. It appears that the room was remodeled from top to bottom. the room was large and roomy. The bathroom was shiny and clean. (A must for my wife). We asked the staff to freshen up our room when we left for the day and were pleased to see that everything was spic and span when we returned. The only issue was that the heater came on but did not make the room as warm as would have liked t to be. We informed the front desk and they asked if we wanted to move. We decided to stay since it wasn't cold, just not toasty. When we awoke, we had a voice mail from the staff indicating that our breakfast was on the house becuase of the heating issue.
overall, it was a very pleasant stay. We will definitely return.

Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2004

I was disappointed by my stay at the Wyndham. My room looked nice enough at first, but I quickly discovered problems. There were few available electrical outlets in the room, and one of them was falling out of the wall. This one was hidden behind the bed, but when I moved the bed to plug something in, it looked pretty hazardous.

Internet access was a pain too. I was told that the room had both wired and wireless Internet access, but that it would cost $9.95 for one night. Because I had stayed in a hotel offering free Internet access less than a week before, this seemed particularly outrageous. But I also discovered that the promised "wireless" access did not work; I was not close enough to an access point to get a signal. The staff seemed to know nothing about Internet access, and it took me over 20 minutes to talk to a live person on the tech support line. There were no clear instructions in the room for how to use the Internet, and in the end it took me about an hour to get connected. It should have taken 2 minutes. Furthermore, the "business center" consisted only of a few computers, and the prices were outrageous. The minimum charge for using the Internet exceeded $10.00. So there was no way to get even a minute of guaranteed Internet access in the hotel without paying around $10. Again, I had recently stayed at a hotel with a free business center, limited only by the amount of time you could spend on one computer. Something about the Wyndham's arrangement struck me as primitive.

On top of everything else, I found out that the promised airport shuttles, which supposedly arrived every half hour, did not exist. The hotel staff informed me that whether they showed up depended on the shuttle driver's discretion, and was thus out of the hotel's control. Fortunately, airport cabs in Philadelphia are reasonable, but promising nonexistent shuttles struck me as disorganized and/or dishonest.

In short, this looked like a nice hotel on the surface, but in a mere one-night stay, I ran into several annoyances. On the positive side, the room was clean and spacious, despite the decrepit electrical wiring. Still, I think I'll be staying somewhere else next time I visit Philly.

Larchmont, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2004

My husband, 2 year daughter and I decided to take a long weekend in Philadelphia in October 2004 to explore the museums and the city. We chose the Wyndham because of its proximity to the musuems and the excellent AAA rate. We could not have been happier with the hotel and the service.
We arrived around noon (hours before check-in) and our room was ready. Check-in did not take more than 3 minutes. Although the room was clean it had been obvious that someone had been smoking in it although it was designated non-smoking. The cleaning lady offered to put an ionizer in the room but we opted to go back to the front desk and change rooms. We were immediately assigned a new room without any hassle. Again this took no more than a few minutes.
The room was clean and bright and there was ample room for our daughter's crib. The staff on the floor was extremely efficient and quickly brought us the crib and extra blankets.
Check-out was also extremely efficient. Parking was expensive, either $19 to self park or $26 to valet. Also there were very few restaurants within walking distance and the hotel restaurants were extremely pricey ($16 for buffet breakfast and a steak house for dinner).
The concierge was also extremely knowledgeable and friendly and gave us lots of good suggestions.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2004

I don't know where to start with this disastrous hotel. It's a massive convention hotel so that's their focus. They totally lack any personal touches and they're just plain rude when you ask for it. For example, we went to ice machines on five floors that their guest services book said had one, and 4 didn't work and one was taken out of service. When we called the front desk to ask for help they said to keep trying every floor. I don't think so. The hotel health club is HUGE-basketball, raquetball, free weights, pool, weight machines, treadmills, etc...Only problem is the place looked as if a bomb went off nearby 20 years ago and there hadn't ben anything done to it since then. The pool was "Closed for the day" when in fact it looked like it had been closed for months! The basketball court had dead spots especially around the net, making dribbling impossible. The weight machines hadn't been dusted. The place was in major disrepair. I think it was a privately owned health club up until June, but then they bailed out for whatever reason and left a health club in serious disrepair. Wyndham should either dedicate resources to improve this place or trash it and start over. The Internet connection was too expensive and when I offered to join their frequent users club, they said the free internet would be available next time. A lot of good that does me. Oh yeah and the concierage desk they had was filled with individuals who seemed to have little to no idea about the city of Philadelphia. When I asked for directions to a theatre, it took one individual 10 minutes to figure out where it was and when I asked for recommendations for a meal near the theatre, he had no clue. And to top it off this was the Rittenhouse Square area which is pretty well known!!! The rooms are nothing to write home about and are actually quite small compared to other downtown Philadelphia hotels. The walls are REALLY REALLY thin. I hope your neighbor is quiet. I can't think of any reason why I'd stay here again. The place was horrible. Stay at the Hyatt at Penn's Landing or some other hotel that is close in price. Stay away from this hotel!!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2004

The staff was rude. I booked a king size bed but when I got there they only had doubles. They didn't even apoligize. They told me rooms aren't guaranteed. They seemed annoyed at the front desk as guests came up and gave short answers or even ignoring requests-trying to get rid of the person in front of them as soon as possible. Even though I got a good rate for the room, I'll never stay there again.

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!