“Thank you Mary Mastrobuoni!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #47 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Thank you Mary Mastrobuoni!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Travelling from Ireland to Philly for the YMCA convention, it was my first time back to the city for ten years, so I was excited. What I hadn't banked on was the massive change in currency exchange facilities at hotels in the States. I had several American Express US dollar travellers cheques, and the hotel was not able to immediately give me dollars as would have been standard years ago. One guy at the desk had said to me that a Travelex would be open on Saturday- which it was not, so I went back to the desk and found Mary. She was brilliant, and went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out. First she tried phoning several banks to see if any were open locally (they weren't) and eventually she phoned a cash checking store in South Philly who said they would accept them (at a hefty fee but I had no other option!) She was frustrated on my behalf that what should have been an easy simple transaction (as it used to be) had turned into a major ordeal. So, she actually drove me all the way to cash the cheques herself involving a lovely and unexpected tour of South Philadelphia! It is wonderful that the true meaning of 'customer service' still exists in the City of Brotherly Love. Mary also helped me and my colleagues book tours on our downtime, and always smiled and waved when she saw us pass through the lobby. She made a regular stay at the Sheraton GREAT.

1,442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

You can walk to almost any location in Center City if you're in descent shape. Yes, the reviews about stains on the carpet, the place needing some TLC are all accurate, but the staff makes up for it. Every single staffer was courteous and friendly. It does look like they're doing some renovations. You might bump into a character or two on the streets adjacent to the hotel, but I think it's a safe neighborhood. Philly police very present. It's a great bargain hotel on Priceline, but even if I paid their retail, still think its a good deal. I'd easily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
brooklyn, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We are SPG members who normally stay at the Westin when we are in Philly (which is, by the way, impeccable). However, we are traveling with our toddler and chose this hotel because we knew the pool would be great for our family.

I know Sheratons are normally a step below the Westin, and the facilities themselves fit this pattern. They are worn. The hotel is under renovation, so maybe that will help. However, there are serious housekeeping issues here that could go a long way in making the hotel feel more comfortable and restful. For example, the pool area was piled high with used towels-- send someone in there to empty the dirty towels more often so guests aren't looking at a mountain of wet, used towels. Our first room (we asked to be moved for night 2) seemed to have barely been cleaned before we checked in -- the window sill was so dusty that I cleaned it myself. The shower wouldn't run separately from the tub, and there spots where the carpet was peeling up. After we checked into a better room, we also realized other housekeeping details in cpcomparison -- the first room had only half the toiletries, for example. And one water bottle with no tag/seal on it. The ottoman for the chair was missing. Little things, but definitively contributed to a shoddy feeling that was confirmed when we saw a room that was cleaned more thoroughly. Then, that made me really notice how sloppily the common areas also seemed to be cleaned. I kind of started fantasizing about supervising the housekeeping staff because of what a difference it could make in the overall impression of the hotel.

The pluses were decent location, a clean, great gym, a friendly staff (though others seem to have had a different take on that), great views, and a friendly concierge.

We will probably go back to the Westin as our mainstay.

• Stayed July 2013
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Being one of thousands in my organization from across the US, I had the opportunity to spend four days in Philadelphia to attend a major conference. It seemed that all conference attendees showed up at at the same time for check-in. The temperature was 98 and everyone was tired from their travels. The Staff at the Sheraton accommodated everyone as quickly as possible, providing assistance with baggage, offering cold bottled water and snacks as we waited in line. All questions regarding sites, directions, eateries, etc., were accurately answered. The room was excellent with a view overlooking historic Downtown and within walking distance to so much. Make sure you have walking shoes because you will want to venture out and see the sights.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a higher room with a view overlooking the City.
Philadelphia PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

When you check out of a hotel, the clerk generally asks, "How was your stay?" Wisely, the guy who checked me out after my three-night stay skipped that. He had probably had an earful from other guests.
Where to start? When I walked into the lobby to check in, there was a long, long line of people waiting to get to the registration desk. I counted about 70. Staff were circulating and explaining that their computer system was down. It took me 90 minutes to get my room key. Later, talking with other guests, I learned that the same thing had happened the previous day, but a different explanation was offered, "labor problems" with the housekeeping staff. The following day, returning to the hotel for a quick change before dinner, I encountered another long line, this one for access to the elevators. It moved painfully slowly -- we were told that two of the elevators were out of service -- and I didn't have time for my planned change.
Housekeeping was certainly not up to Sheraton standards. Common areas were in need of sweeping or vacuuming. My room was kept acceptably clean, but dusting was haphazard and there was an obvious, thick layer of dust on the plastic tissue box cover. In the off-the-lobby men's room, I was greeted by a frisky cockroach.
The location of this property isn't the best for tourists. There are few restaurants or retail in the immediate area. Taxis are required to get to the main Center City shopping/restaurant area and the historic district.
I have travelled frequently for many years and have often stayed in Sheratons. This one just isn't in the same league. It wasn't all bad: my good-size room was comfortable, with a big desk and comfortable side chair. My 25th-floor room had a commanding view of the museum-lined parkway. The buffet breakfasts were quite good, including made-to-order omelets. And the staff were friendly and helpful. (During my long check-in wait, staff members came by offering free soft pretzels and cups of water and lemonade.)
I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Your best choice would be a different hotel. If you do stay here, go for a view -- highest floor you...
Walpole, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed last night here while looking at nearby college. Booked a room thru hotels.com for my family of 5. Specifically spoke w/ rep b/c we needed accomodations for 5. They told me they would give me a room w/ 2 queen beds and a pullout sofa. When checking in, I was told that I had a traditional room which slept 4 and I could not put a cot in. I explained that I had booked a room for 5, 2 queens and a sofa bed pullout. The paperwork even listed 5 occupants. The manager said the hotel did not have any of those rooms as they were all booked. They moved us to a deluxe room which had a king and a sofa bed they claimed was a queen size, and we could get a cot too but that it would cost me $20 more and they WERE NOT waiving the fee b/c it was MY problem not the Sheratons. Upon entering the "new" room, the pullout sofa was a twin so again we had another room that slept 3 this time and that they would not bring 2 cots in per fire code. However, again the problem was ours. Finally, after calling the front desk another gentleman did refund my $20 charge b/c 3 of us were sleeping in a king bed, 1 on the sofa and 1 on the cot. While we were trying to figure out if there were any options at all, the manager of the front desk called to tell us for the 3rd time that this was not his problem but ours b/c we booked through hotels.com. Naturally, my husband was not happy and asked the manager to stop interrupting him and the manager named Ronnie Boyd said,"Hey, you can come downstairs right now,I will give you your money and you can get out of my hotel right now!" Not my idea of very good customer service. Will not stay at another Sheraton again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My stay at this hotel was excellent . Customer service was the best I have experience in quite a while.. All of the staff from the valet service , wait staff front desk and maid service was excellent. Every staff person I encounter was always pleasant friendly and very accomadating no matter what the request. On my arrival the computer system for check in went and the staff did an exceptional job making sure everyone was comfortable during this delay . They served water fruit cookies pretzels etc to ensure everyone was was comfortable. This occurred during a national conference and 100 degree heat wave .
I would recommend to anyone visiting this city to stay at the downtown Sheraton .
Mr. R. Utsey must be commended in assuring that because of the delay I was compensated with a great room with and amazing view of the Philadelphia skyline. Thanks

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!