“OutStanding Service and Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #47 of 83 hotels in Philadelphia
cocoa beach
“OutStanding Service and Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

For the last 3 years, I have been a guest at this hotel weekly, almost exclusively for business purposes. I am treated well by virtually all of the staff and it is clear that they value me as a guest each time I walk through the door. I applaud management for placing a premium on the customer’s first impressions. There are 3 employees who have been exemplary in their efforts to ensure that each stay is regarded as special. Briana Carree and Candace Wright both staff the front desk and are universally polite, professional and cheerful. Both are able to brighten up even the most dismal day by always conveying such a positive attitude and approach to the guest relations aspect of their jobs. I have personally witnessed them handle scores of guests attempting to check in under crowded and extenuating circumstances. I appreciate all that they do for me and others in doing a great job at balancing each guests needs for the duration of one's stay. In addition, Eric Hansen, Concierge, has taken it upon himself to elevate the guest experience to another level. He repeatedly requests information on my preferences so that he can personalize my stay and ensure that any need that I may have during a stay had already been anticipated and accounted for. On a recent trip to Philadelphia with my wife, the team mentioned in this review collaborated to provide for us an unforgettable guest experience that was memorable for all the right reasons. Food, wine, chocolate and a personalized gift were all waiting for us in the best room that this hotel has to offer. There are many hotel choices in downtown Philadelphia. I stay at the Sheraton because the individuals that make up this team know how to make a difference.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words. We will pass along your compliments to our team members. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you.

1,442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel itself was a good choice. Waking distance to many Philly attractions. Club level amenities met our expectation. Self Parking was $38 a night - what??? There's a cheap parking garage, less than $10 a day nearby. If you don't mind walking, I'd park there.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your review. If your travels bring you back in the Philadelphia area, please try making a Philly overnight reservation. Parking is included with your rate.
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just spent 4 nights here and for the price should have taken more notice of Tripadvisor! Selected this property for convenience but mainly for the availability of a "Club Level" - I should not have bothered. The "Club" was by comparison to many I have stayed at poor to say the least. The coffee machine was broken for 2 days, the plastic "cutlery" on offer summed up the ambience so much soI chose to have breakfast in the Lobby restaurant after the first day and whilst it was normal breakfast fare the egg station at the buffet wasn't operating for 2 days. Staff training appeared to be average with conflicting information given as to whether or not the Club was even open on weekends!

The bed was comfortable though the rollaway air purifier was noisy. No bar refrigerator in the room was a surprise. The gym and pool were however well set up. Not the quality I expected from this brand.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that your Club Lounge experience was not pleasant. Our Club Lounge has breakfast every morning and Hors d'oeuvres from 5:30 to 7:30 Sunday through Thursday. Each meal period should be fully stocked to accommodate guests with Club access. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves. If you are gracious enough to stay with us again please ask for the Front Office Manger when making your reservations. I will be more than happy to make your hotel stay very enjoyable.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at this Sheraton for a business trip and was fairly disappointed in the hotel. I noticed it received sort of hit or miss reviews on Tripadvisor--but figured I would try it anyways--which was a mistake. First, being a woman who travels alone, I was majorly sketched out by the underground parking garage that seemed totally abandoned--although I arrived late and probably should have just valeted so that one is my own fault.

The front desk staff were very nice and helpful at check in--a definite bonus of the visit. Every staff member I encountered was very friendly.

But, when I took the elevator up to my room, I noticed that the hallway was very dirty--it literally looked like it hadn't been vacummed in at least a year. I walked to my room and noticed that a door a few down from mine looked like it had been broken into or something--granted it was not an actual hotel room but it still was a bit creepy. The wood had been totally scratched away near the lock and the wood shavings were all over the ground (makes sense with the whole no vacuuming thing).

My room was okay--small, but the location is right downtown so I wasn't expecting much more. I checked the sheets and noticed a few stains which grossed me out. There were also stains all over the carpet--one that looked vaguely like blood.

I stay in hotels a lot and don't consider myself to be a huge germaphobe about it--but something about this room combined with the hallway just didn't sit right with me. I didn't take my shoes off until I literally got into the bed. I was supposed to stay two nights but managed to switch my reservation elsewhere for the second night. One thing I will say--I was expecting to not sleep well but the bed was very comfortable and I slept fairly well. Until 6:30 AM when there was construction right outside my window :/.

The property has potential to be very nice--the lobby is nice, it is in a great location, but it needs a serious deep clean and updating--I would definitely recommend that you do NOT stay here and find somewhere else if you can.

Also, I had a similar issue as someone else mentioned where I called down to the front desk about 8 times or so? And it just rang and rang, no one ever picked up so I had to go downstairs. and ended up waiting in line for like 15 minutes downstairs too. They were very busy with lots of people checking in, so I understand why but it seems like they should be staffed better for those busier times (it seems to be a very busy hotel).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We would like to apologize for the Housekeeping issues that you’ve experienced. There is no excuse for our guest floors not to be vacuumed. We will make sure that this never happens again. Our room doors will be checked for any scratches or dents. Thank you for bringing these issues to light.
Pune
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located within a walking distance of all historical sites.
The checkin was very efficient and fast.
The lifts were very slow an noisy and the doors close extra fast.
The lobby is beautiful and Concierge very helpful.
The rooms are nice and bright.Wifi internet has to be paid for.The tv is nice,flat screen with all the usual 40 channels.Thete is a coffee maker but no water kettle.
Bathrooms are very clean bot no toileteries are provided.
There is a gym which is useful.
Rooms are cleaned regularly and service is efficient.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Our elevators are still under renovation. We still are finishing up our last 2 elevators. Once those 2 are completed, we feel that the elevators issues will be resolved. We are also in the process of switching our Wifi service, so that it will be more efficient for our guest to enjoy. We normally provided toiletries in each and every guest bathroom. I’m sorry that yours was not replenished properly. On behalf of The Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you for being our guest.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I got a great deal on this so for the price I can't complain. The good is the location it is right near Love Park and Broad Street. I loved the bed, it is so comfortable. The front desk couldn't change me from two beds to one bed any size because I was alone it seemed like a shame to have two beds. When I wanted directions the concierge line was way to long. When I finally got to ask someone he gave me directions as if I lived there and couldn't tell me left or right and streets. The guys who park your car or open the door didn't even say hi or by or smile. The bathroom was terrible. The top shower part leaked (I told the front desk) and it was not clean or updated. The air was pretty loud in the room and the hotel is more of a crowded strange mix of people. However, it met my purpose which was a comfortable bed and walking distance to where I was going.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. We use these reviews as teachable moments. So we thank you for giving us both good and bad comments. We will address each issue that you have brought forth. Our Engineering Department will make sure that no other guest will experience those same issues moving forward. We will make sure that our Concierge Staff understand that not all of our guests are familiar with the city. In the spirit of hospitality, thank you for your review.
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was given beyond the expected assistance by the hotel operator Sheila making some important business connections.
Sheila was her name as I inquired after her great customer service. Good friendly, helpful, cheerful.
As a healthcare provider, I appreciate and train my staff to be like this but don't always here in the commercial world from operators who may only have a single encounter with a customer/client.
So kudos to Sheila and all responsible for her being such a good person in that position.
And I have only been here less than 12 hours .

Room Tip: Nothing to add yet,