“Event staff was excellent; guest rooms, not so much.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #52 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Annapolis, Maryland
“Event staff was excellent; guest rooms, not so much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here for 6 almost a week as the hotel was the site of my organization's annual conference. There were truly two sides to this hotel. The "Conference" side was outstanding. Staff from the sales department to the set-up crew was top-notch. Customer and results oriented, one of the best event staffs I have encountered.

The "Hotel" side was a bit lagging. Rooms and bathrooms were just "OK", housekeeping was wildly inconsistent (when they actually did show up), but concierge staff was very helpful. All in all, based on my experience with the "hotel" side, I would think twice about staying here in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy that your conference experience was outstanding during your stay at our hotel. We are concerned that your hotel visit was not as enjoyable. Your housekeeping issues will be addressed by our Director of Housekeeping. Our goal is to have our entire facility operating on the same accord. In the spirit of hospitality, thank you for your honest review.
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here during a lighting trade show and found the hotel to be old and average at best on most attributes. Check in was reasonably fast and when asked if my SPG # was on the registration, I offered my Gold SPG card and was advised that it was (it wasn't and still is not), although it not the highest status level, the gold my status offers higher floor if available..I was told there was nothing available. I contacted the hotel to ask the reservation desk to add my # to the reservation and still have not heard back that they had updated the file. Rates were high for the room given the convention was in town. My rating was low as there was a visible lack of attention to maintenance and cleanliness, crumbling drywall in elevator waiting area to candy bar wrappers and empty water bottles sitting on floor tables (where newspapers normally sit) for more then a couple of days. Faithful SPG guy but will not stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We really do value your SPG status. If your stay did not count against your SPG membership we would like to make it right. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly, so that we can issue your point for your stay. If it was a third party reservation you would a least get credit for staying with us. Please contact the hotel at 215-448-2000. Please ask for the Front Office Manager for assistance.
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed 2 nights, it was nice, pool was warm and beds were comfortable. Very Very busy place, calls to the front desk went unanswered so I had to actually go there to get a question answered. Worst was parking very very expensive I was charged $25 for 3 hours at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you had to go to the desk to get your questions answered. We will look into why the phones were not answered. We offer overnight parking rates for our hotel guests. If you stay Sunday through Thursday and self park the rate is $38.00 per day. Friday and Saturday is a $20.00 per day charge. If you find yourself visiting the Philadelphia area again, please look for the Philadelphia Overnight rate. That rate includes parking for each night that you stay.
Philly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I paid for a last minute room deal via Priceline using my Visa Checkcard. The room rate was $85.00 and I stayed one night. The room was very basic and limited. I used nothing in the room but the towels and soap. Later that day, after checking out, I went to the ATM. After withdrawing some money, I noticed that my bank balance was rather low. When I checked my statement, I saw that Sheraton had charged me $80. I called and was told that this was for incidentals. I asked what incidentals amounted to $80 for the night. I was politely told I would have to wait until the next business day to discuss the matter.

I have stayed at other hotel chains and they do charge a small amount for incidentals for each day of your stay. However, they do not charge $80 a day and they informed me that they were charging my account but would release the full amount after my stay. The Sheraton employee did not inform me I was even being charged this exorbitant amount ($80) for incidentals during my one-night stay.

I question whether this amount is standard or customized based on personal demographics, e.g., age, race, gender.

Note: The hallway outside of my room was dirty when I arrived and dirty when I departed. Someone had spilled or tracked some matter into the hallway but no one cleaned during my stay.

Room Tip: Do not use Priceline. You cannot specify the room type such as king vs. two full or queen beds. Some...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. When you stay using a third party site (priceline,hotel.com and hotwire) we do take a $50.00 incidental hold. That hold increases if you were to stay more nights. Please let us know if the $80.00 charge was not released from your card. I will be happy to assist you with that charge or hold.
drkhan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

to me first impression is everything. i felt like the customer service here is not welcoming at all. it almost seems like they dont want to be here.

rooms are average, its an old hotel so seems like its been through alot of wear and tear. haha matter of fact i am looking at a crack on the wall right now.

best part of the hotel is the Chinese restaurant they have and very affordable.

tip to the hotel - get more elevators, on a busy night u might have to wait 5 to 6 min

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We agree that first impression is everything. I would like to apologize if we ruined that for you. Customer service is the business that we are in, and if that was lacking I am very concerned. We take pride in hiring Team members that want to be here. We believe that if our customer service shines bright, that small things can be forgiven. On behalf of The Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel I apologize for those Team members that did not shine bright.
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Room was generally not cleaned until 4 in the afternoon. Public areas messy - lobby, ground floor restrooms, papers & debris not cleared by computers. Unattractive lobby, bar & restaurant. Usually the Sheraton chain is known for better accommodations and housekeeping standards.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am not sure if your stay was during the week or on a weekend. Our Housekeeping staff gets a later start on the weekends. Our lobby will be renovated in the early part of May. We will be putting our business center in our lobby bar area. There is no excuse as to why to current business area was not properly cleaned during your recent visit. We hope that you will do us the honor and stay after the renovation is complete.
Island Height, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Hotel was clean and the staff helpful. The rooms air conditioner sounded like someone outside playing a plastic drum all night. The amount of towels was limited and very thin. The bed was comfortable and the room was comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Our Chief Engineer will be made aware of the AC issues that you have experienced. There should have been enough towels in your room for two guests. We are happy to provide more towels through our Housekeeping department. I will also notify our Housekeeping Director in regards to the quality of the terry that you received in your room. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.
Regards,

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!