“Surprised at the quality of this hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Albany, New York
“Surprised at the quality of this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'll admit expectations going into this were mediocre, judging from the outside. But the lobby was well kept (as well as updated), service people were quick to help out in any way they could (without asking), check-in was friendly with advice on things to do around the city. It left the feeling that the staff genuinely care, which you can't say about pricier/fancier hotels(!).

Got a room on the SPG level with a great view of Logan Square/Art Museum. The room looked to have been updated within the past 10 years, so that was a pleasant surprise; the bed was very comfortable. They obviously got the important things right when choosing what to upgrade, with only minor details that could improve. Location was fantastic, a short walk to City Hall and Market St. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay again.

Room Tip: high floor facing logan square, amazing view at night
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are in the process of upgrading our entrance and lobby areas of the hotel. We try to provide the best service that we possibly can. We feel if our service is great, some of the minor fixes will be overlooked. Thank you for letting us know that our hard work is paying off. We hope to see you again if you are ever in the Philadelphia area.
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Trenton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here New Year's Eve and had a great room -- everything is modern and clean -- nice hotel and a great location. The hotel is downtown and somewhat close to the museums. Be sure to ask for a room that overlooks the Cathedral / Museums -- the views are probably the best the city has to offer.

Enjoyed our stay -- the front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. There was however a small issue with the fish smell in the hallways from the restaurant on the lobby level -- not very pleasant. The good news was that it did not enter the room. All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We hope the start of your New Year went well. I agree the west view is a spectacular view. We are happy that foul odor didn’t ruin your evening totally. Our Front Office staff appreciates the kind words. It was their pleasure to assist you. In the spirit of hospitality, thank you.
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is the only hotel I have stayed at in the Philadelphia area where the Front Desk Staff and Rooms Controller are all very accommodating above and beyond their respective call of duty. I have stayed here numerous times and I will continue to use this Sheraton Hotel every time I have to stay in downtown Philadelphia. In addition, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone in need of a hotel in Philadelphia. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are very clean, along with the spectacular view of the City's West Side. The Concierge personnel were very knowledgeable about the surrounding areas when I needed various information, as well as assisting me with taxi cab transportation expeditiously without me having to wait every time.

Room Tip: West Side rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words. We will pass along your compliments to our team members. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you.
West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stay here! Centrally located and close to everything! We often stay here when we just want to spend the evening in center city and not worry about a thing. The last time we stayed, we were able to use priceline to get a fantastic deal!

We walked the city and went to a few local bars and restuarants just to enjoy our day! The best part was that we could easily walk back to the hotel and sleep in a confortable bed!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your continuous stays at our hotel. I’m sure your glowing endorsement will help other travelers choose our property. We will keep providing outstanding service during your visits. On behalf of The Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you.
philadelphia, pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My partner and I came here for one night for our first night away from our twin toddlers. We were looking to relax in the room and sleep! Pretty simple, right? Not so much.

Flipped on the tv only to find that the cable channels were very limited (no HGTV? really?) and in-room movies cost $17! Decided to order a pizza from our favorite down town pizza place and drinks from room service. I ordered a beer and a root beer only to be told they only have coke, diet coke and sprite. So you have 3 restaurants in the hotel and no root beer? Ok. Then I am told the drinks will be to our room in 30 minutes. Seriously, the delivery pizza arrived before the drinks. How is this possible? Oh, and they charged delivery of $3 on top of the crazy prices and taxes. One large pizza = $14; A beer and a soda = $15.

Ok, so on to the sleep. After watching bad tv on one of the few channels, we decided to get some sleep. The room was extremely hot, despite turning it down to 66 degrees. The wall unit was going on and off constantly, keeping us up. Also, our room must have been near the plumbing for all the surrounding rooms because I could constantly hear water running through the walls. Then, around 1am there was a rowdy group on our floor. I called guest services and the phone just rang and rang and rang.

Needless to say, this wasn't the night we'd been dreaming about for months and months. I went home more tired than I was to begin with and $150 poorer. Wish I hadn't bid on priceline for this hotel!

On a good note, the view was terrific.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. It is regrettable that your stay was not a pleasant one. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight area of improvement. It is troubling to me that your stay was not satisfactory at all. I would like you to contact me so we can discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This place loses one star ONLY because they add $40 in parking, so a room that costs $120, which is pretty reasonable for downtown in a big city, winds up being $160, which is more than I would want to pay. Additionally, the one start off is because I ordered room service and was embarrassed when I realized I only had a few singles to give the person who delivered it. She was like, that's okay I'll just take that, but when I got the bill there was a service charge included already! So she got double tipped and didn't say anything, and honestly I thought that was pretty sneaky. I didn't like that.
Having said that, the rooms were gorgeous and spacious, beautifully clean and I had an amazing view. Very comfortable!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. Parking in a big city can be a bit pricey. Our $38.00 parking fee is along the lines of what other hotels in the city charge. I often recommend that when making a reservation in Philadelphia, that guests ask for the Philly Overnight package. That package includes parking and the room rate is always reasonable. We are pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations. As for room service, there is a service charge that is included. Unfortunately the server does not get the entire gratuity. So she was grateful for the extra gratuity that you gave her. In the spirit of hospitality, thank you.
Rochester, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The bellmen, the front desk, the club room attendant, my concern was their pleasure to help with. My event needed a coat rack, I called, I turned around went to my ballroom and it was being rolled down the hallway to me. Professional, always ready with a smile and a "How can I help?" attitude. It was a working weekend, but we will be back to visit and sleep on that great mattress! THANK YOU.

Room Tip: The view on the 20th and up are breath taking at night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for your outstanding review. We are very pleased that every team member you came in contact with was professional and courteous. It was our pleasure to extend such warm hospitality. We hope you are able to come back to our hotel to get reacquainted with our Sweet Sleeper bed. In the spirit of hospitality, thank you from The Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel.
Regards,

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!