“Could have been Better.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #52 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York City, New York
“Could have been Better.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled to Philadelphia and decided to stay here at the Sheraton and to be honest, I feel it could have been better. Before we even entered our room we were greeted with a pasta stain directly in front of our door. This clearly depicts how sanitary the workers are and the effort they put into cleanliness. We ordered room service and we were given two glasses of water and at the bottom of one of the glasses there was a circular milk looking stain. It was as if as if the glass was never properly washed which is beyond disgusting. The bedside table needed to be cleaned it was dusty with loads of stains. There were too many sanitation issues that turned me off and as a result I am giving a low rating for this hotel. Just focusing on sanitation the staff needs to focus a lot more on that. The front desk associates were great they worked very efficiently which is a plus. The concierge was very knowledge and the parking was very convenient. It was $20 for the first day and you can come and go as many times as you may.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is regrettable that your stay was not a pleasant one. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight area of improvement. It is troubling to me that your stay was not satisfactory at all. I would like you to contact me so we can discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.
regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is my second, extended stay in Philly and at this hotel. Stayed here in January, 2012 and was very pleased with the staff and amenities provided. Must say that my stay this time is off to an awesome start. The staff has made me feel very welcome and Shelia, in particular, has already gone an extra mile to make my stay memorable. If the remainder of my stay is met with the same commitment to customer satisfaction, I have no doubt that, when my plans call for me to stay in Philly, this will be my hotel of choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words. We will pass along your compliments to our team members. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I never do this but I've stayed here a couple times and each time I'm disgusted. This time, I asked to switch rooms after the heat was broken. I was extremely polite. However, midway through the night in my new room I felt something at the bottom of my bed. I pulled out 2 FILTHY men's socks. Red stains, filthy black, and smelled. Cannot believe the maids didn't bother to change the sheets. Since I had to be up extremely early I unfortunately had to suck it up and sleep on top of the bed. So gross!

• Stayed January 2013
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is regrettable that your stay was not a pleasant one. I can understand that problems do arise with heating and cooling units. But the issue you faced with our Housekeeping Department is unacceptable. I know you started off by saying that you do not normally do this. We are grateful that you did this time. I would like you to contact me so we can discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Good: This hotel is in a nice location. I stayed here for new years & it was convenient to most major attractions, restaurants & shopping in center city. The hotel offers a self parking option that was somewhat reasonable at $38 a day. While this might sounds expensive to some. It is somewhat reasonable for a hotel in Philadelphia. It allows for in/out privileges. The hotel has a large & open lobby that looks a bit dated, but was clean & welcoming. There was security standing at the entrance monitoring all who came in/out of the hotel. They did a great job at recognizing me as an elite member of the SPG program. Upon entering & identifying myself, I was whisked away to the SPG line where there was no waiting. I was made to feel like a VIP. They used the correct branded spg key holder that corresponded to my level, offered a goodie bag with snacks & Philadelphia's own Tasteykakes & breakfast voucher because the club lounge was undergoing repairs.

The Bad: The hotel looks rundown. The elevator from the parking lot to the lobby was incredibly dirty. So was the elevator landing in the parking lot. Such a large hotel like this one. How could they not want to spend the money (minimal) to pressure clean that elevator landing on the P1 P2 floors, update the signage & clean those elevators. It is after-all the first impression a guest gets of the property. Once I saw the dirty entrance & that filthy elevator. I knew that the hotel was not going to be all that great & I was right.

The hotel allows vendors to deliver to the guests rooms. So the hallways were full of Chinese, pizza & other delivery agents roaming the hallways. This should not be allowed for security purposes as well as customer service. These vendors are not only loud in the hallways, but they leave the menus underneath the doors & it looks awful & gives a terrible impression.

The Ugly: I was checked in to a room on the 24th floor. The room was clean, but not super clean either. The flat screen televison sits on a wooden tray on top of the dresser. Mine was visibly broken on oen side & you could see all of the broken wood. It looks awful. How can they check guests into this room without first repairing that ? Again - no one seems to care here about the guests perception. The hallways are dirty, dark, & very outdated. The elevators are being renovated. So perhaps when they finish they will look better. But the elevators that I took felt like you were back in the 80's. The elevators here do not have key card access. Whoch means anyone can get inside & go to any floor they desire. Including the SPG floors & the top 26th floor where the lounge is. This is not acceptable. As most Sheratons & other properties in this segment, by now have the key card access elevators as a security measure.

I was there for new years eve. The hotel had security at the door. But that was about it. The hallways were full of drunk guests being loud in the hallways. the crowd that stayed here was kinfd of rough as well. At one point the music & partying at 3AM from the room that was next to mine was unbearable. So I called the front desk - which did nothing about it.

Verdict: If you are using your SPG points to stay here like I did, don't ! Its not worth it. Its hard to get & accumulate these points to waste them here. Stay here if you get a good rate, end up here because of a favorable priceline bid, get a blockbuster rate or hotwire. Otherwise - there are many other options in CC that offer a cleaner, more elegant & better maintained facility for the price. In an often superior location to this one. This hotel has a major advantage which is the great customer service from the front desk staff & the concierge. If they could just up the security & pay more attention to the details like lobby plants, decorations, renovations, cleanliness & maintenance. This would be one of the best hotels in CC.

Room Tip: Request a high floor as the views of CC are better. Ask to face the museum. This is one of the best...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time out to write this review. I loved the way it started out. I also appreciated the way you ended it. We are able to take the beginning and middle of your comments and make the ending much better for you and our other guests in the future. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown I would like to offer our sincerest apologies. Your review was very thorough. Part of our New Year plan is to start renovations on the public spaces throughout the hotel. That project will start in a couple of months from now. We will make sure that our Housekeeping Department is keeping what we have in place clean. I would like to reassure you that your SPG status is real important to us. I would like you to contact me directly at 215-448-2000 to discuss this matter further. In the spirit of hospitality thank you.
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for New Years. It was easy to find and it is really close to most of the attractions like Macy's, Reading Terminal, Convention Center, and City Hall just couple blocks. If you want to take the metro the closest station is on 16 street, this hotel is on 17 st and and Race st. One of the biggest complaint I read here before, it was the parking, I found a cheaper price just one block from here.You save $20 since the Sheraton charge $38 for 24 hrs, this parking garage is located on Spring st behind the Magee Rehabilitation Hospital. The staff was really helpful, the concierge gave me all the information I need. The only reason I don't give this hotel a 5 is because the smell on the hallway was awful, this hotel allow dogs and the hallway smell like Pet smart at least on the 20th floor. The view was great from this floor other than the dog smell I will recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Highest floors better view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are Happy that our location was ideal for your city visit. Parking can be a bit pricey, not only for our hotel but others as well. If you plan a return trip to Philadelphia please look into the Philly Overnight Package. That rate includes parking. Please accept our apologies for the stale smell or pet smell you have encountered. We do allow pets on our property, but we have them on the lower floors of the hotel. I will have our Housekeeping Department pay closer attention to the freshness level of the hotel hallways.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I'm a crewmember for a major airline so must stay in this hotel by contract. Awoke early yesterday morning, snapped the light on, and found myself surronded by bed bugs. I was not bitten but they looked hungry. Reported the incident to the front desk. One clerk seemed concerned, the other clerk just sort of shrugged....

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience. The concerns you have raised are very understandable given the symptoms you described, and I appreciate the opportunity to look into it and to respond.

The global resurgence of bed bugs over the last five years is a widely-recognized problem. This problem has affected not only the hotel industry, but hospitals, airports, college dormitories and private multiple dwellings, as well. It is suspected that this resurgence is a direct result of increased international travel since bed bugs are easily transported in suitcases, purses and clothing, among other things.
To address this growing problem, Starwood mandates an aggressive pest control policy, which includes regularly scheduled professional inspections and, if necessary, elimination protocols. We have also implemented a thorough training program for our housekeeping and maintenance personnel to assist in the early recognition of infestation. These standard procedures require that the room in which you stayed be quarantined and that it remain quarantined until a thorough inspection by professionals can be conducted. I want to assure you that we have fully implemented the policy and protocols here at the hotel. Given the nature of our business, it is our expressed commitment to make every guest experience an enjoyable one. Your comfort and satisfaction are very important to us. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at 215-448-2000
Arlington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel staff at friendly and responsive. This property was recently renovated and features nice rooms and excellent machines in the fitness center. Unfortunately the hotel walls are a bit thin. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: The hotel tends to have large events on the weekends, so be sure to get a room that's on a middl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are currently looking into to ways to help solve our "thin walls". We are trying different items such as white noise machines and offering guests ear plugs. We understand that when the hotel is full, it becomes a louder place. We are happy that our staff and rooms overall was a pleasant experience for you.
Regards,

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!