“Does not deserve to be a Sheraton” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #48 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Sunnyvale, California
“Does not deserve to be a Sheraton”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have come to expect at least decent quality in a room and customer service from a Sheraton and this hotel is a disgrace to the name.

1) Reservation in their system was for the wrong day even though I had a printed confirmation. 2) Beds were lumpy and shaky with bad box springs 3) Bed linens smelled sour 4) Pillows were mildewy 5) Only one face towel for 3 guests 6) Took 3 phone calls to get towels 7) Furniture is old and scratched and floors were dirty 8) key card did not work and we had to wait in the hallway with our luggage for the bellman to go down to get it re-keyed so we could get into our room the first time.

The bed was so uncomfortable that my husband tossed and turned, which made the bed shake and I finally gave up and tried to sleep on the floor. I found one pillow which was not mildewy but it was a miserable night for both of us.

The only saving grace is that the hotel is in a decent location. I will never come back here.

The last insult was that when I tried to write on the comment card, found that the pen was broken.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is regrettable that your stay was not a pleasant one. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight area of improvement. It is troubling to me that your stay was not satisfactory at all. I would like you to contact me so we can discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.

1,448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Tarrytown, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed there for a night using SPG points, which is a good deal on the weekend when business travelers are nigh. At the same time, however, there was a Model UN convention and lots of wedding guests, so it was like rush hour in the lobby when we arrived. Front desk was undermanned. Person who checked us in was cheerful despite the crowds. Still, he gave us a key to a room that was already occupied. When we went back down to point that out he was very apologetic and us vouchers for breakfast, nice given that it would have cost $17.95 a person for an average buffet breakfast (with made-to-order omelettes). Room was standard issue Sheraton, nothing special. But it was spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. First time in the bathroom amenities I've seen shaving cream. Nice touch. So was the $20 weekend parking, regularly $38. Keep that in mind, especially if you're visiting the museums on Ben Franklin Parkway. They're very walkable, so you can leave your car in the hotel garage and not worry about having to pay for parking again or finding a spot. Just leave by 6. Would I necessarily go out of may way to stay there? No. Would I avoid it? No again. It gets the job done

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I want to apologize for the start of your stay. That indeed was a busy weekend for us. I also want to thank you for letting us make good on a bad mistake. I hope you enjoyed your breakfast. We would love to go out of our way to bring you back. If your plans ever bring you back into Philadelphia, please call and ask for me.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Mary Mastrobuini at the concierge desk was more than helpful during my stay! I had an urgent document that needed to get out to a client and she went above and beyond to ensure that it was faxed quickly and receipt was confirmed to help me check one more thing off my list on a very busy day. Excellent service - thank you so much for going above and beyond, Mary!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words. We will pass along your compliments to our team members. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you for choosing us. We look forward to your next visit.
france
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

the hotel in itself is ok. however, if you need accessibility, for a wheelchair or scooter, be prepared for some gymnastics. the bathroom we had was impossible to enter into, with the scooter. luckily my friend can still walk, in spite of huge pain. if the guest had been in a wheelchair, there is NO WAY they could have entered the room.

this is not acceptable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I’m not sure if you were put into one of our accessible rooms or not. We do have rooms that are ADA compliant. Please give me a call so that we can discuss this in greater detail.
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Good hotel close to everything. Was a little over priced and parking is annoying. We had a long wait exiting the garage twice i think because they have lots of events there. It was very easy to get around the city from this location

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and thank you very much for your feedback. We hope that when you are in our fair city again you will be our guests.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

The front door staff was excellent and efficient.

The lounge staff appeared too preoccupied with having her own conversations with coworkers than what was going on on the floor.

The housekeeping staff was very nice, but the cleaning job way haphazard. Maybe because I stayed for a week, it didn't matter to them. But it was strange returning to the hotel and seeing brushed hairs on the bathroom floor, which simply means that the bathroom floor wasn't swept or mopped.

The room service staff was mediocre. Breakfast staff was great, dinner - not so much. He seemed very bthat, lackluster, and unenthusiastic about the whole thing, but seemed to expect additional gratuity above the 21% added to the bill. Hmmmm, where does that attitude come from.

The restaurant staff, let's see, my primary waiter seemed pissed that I appeard near the tail end of breakfast. I waited a loooong time for service and had to ask for everything (including cream for my coffee). Funny, I asked for sweet and low and instead of telling me they don't have it, he brought me Splenda, unceremoniously put it on the table and walked away. It wasn't until I called him back saying I asked for s/l that he said they didn't have any. Then my food took a long tome to come, a second server saw this and went into the kitchen to get my breakfast, in fact, I never saw my original waiter again afterwards. Hmmmm. Where did he go?

The front desk staff - efficient, but again mediocre, they delivered the normal spiel, did not engage on additional conversation or give info about the amenities (considering I was there for a week, you'd think they would give me info to make it more homelike)

Overall, the hotel is just ok, the neighborhood is not family friendly at all-considering the number of homeless sleeping in the church vestibule on the next block. Its walking distance to downtown, but not really walking distance to many attractions. I stayed here because I'm a starwood points member, and it was recommended, but next time I will definately stay at the Weston or try the Sheraton Society Hill.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review. It is regrettable that your stay was not a pleasant one. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight area of improvement. Thank you for taking the time out to go into great detail outlining your experience. I would like you to contact me so we can discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.
Weston, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

As mentioned by others. Hotel is long over due for an upgrade. Stayed for 5 nights Carpets are not the best. Heater pretty noisy when starting. Breakfast was nothing special.. Your typical. As for meeting rooms. I did enjoy the roof top meeting room for its views. Also other facilities for meetings etc were good to. Although decor still dated Convenient to conference center and downtown attractions. Definitely below what you would expect from a sheraton
Internet was terrible. Public washrooms not regularly visited ran out of soap and towels a number of times.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Regards,

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!