You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Fair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel was clean but definitely needs some sprucing up. The staff was the best part! Very friendly, prompt and helpful! The restaurant was too expensive to consider an option. There are plenty of nearby places to choose from, but the area made me think twice about wanting to walk to many of them alone.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can, because the suite was pretty basic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. It is regrettable that your stay was not a pleasant one. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight area of improvement. It is troubling to me that your stay was not satisfactory at all. I would like you to contact me so we can discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were forced to take taxis to all of our destinations and it was difficult to get a taxi. There was no from hotel staff outside to assist with hailing a cab and there was a convention at hotel that we were not notified about. Had we known about this convention we would have stayed elsewhere due to the overwhelmingly large crowd.

• Stayed November 2012
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, please accept our sincere apology. We do have a Bellman and a Doorman scheduled on a daily basis. I will look into why there wasn’t a member of our staff outside to assist you. It is troubling to me that on a busy night no one was present in the lobby. Please be assured that this will not happen to another guest. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please give me a call at 215-448-2000.
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel halloween weekend just before the hurricane...this was a late booking we waited for an age to get our room and when we did were made to feel as though we were somewhat lucky to get it.....no 24 hour room service drunks sleeping on the sofas in reception...after an ok sleep in an ok room..we checked out for our flight to the Uk to be told by reception "you aint going the airport is shut".....which after many calls was false we took off on time...I hate to do bad reviews but I would never stay at this hotel again ..staff are rude and do this chain no favours

Room Tip: if possible look elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Clifton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked a last minute room on Priceline for the Sheraton (or though I didn't know it was the Sheraton at time of booking - Bidding situation). I was pleasantly suprised and enjoyed myself. The room was basic (king bed room). The property was clean, well maintained, conveniently located, easy to get to by car with convenience parking garage under the property ($20 self-park on weekend).

I quickly walked around town as Philly is extremely walkable.

The pool area/gym was clean and easy to use.

Overall, a great hotel, great value....

Room Tip: Self Park for $20 under the hotel. Great value for the area, safe, and they can charge the bill if...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words. We will pass along your compliments to our team members. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you.
Berlin, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel before. We got the room through Priceline, so we got a good price. The hotel is fine, but nothing spectacular. We took our dog with us which was nice, but found out at the end of the stay that we were supposed to be in a special "dog friendly" room. A woman staff member knocked on our door and informed us of this 1/2 hour before check out and wanted us to move all our stuff! She was rather rude to myself and my husband. I don't really like to stay in hotels that have special pet rooms since those rooms tend to be older and dirtier:). Overall, the hotel was fine, but nothing exceptional. Besides a few of the bellhops, who were friendly, most of the staff was polite, at best.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review. I first want to apologize for our team member that was rude to you. We are a pet friendly property. We do have a floor designated to our guest traveling with their pets. The servicing of those rooms are handle the same manner as our non-pet floors. Moving forward we will ask all guest at check in if they are traveling with their pets, so we can place them on the proper floor. I also want to thank you for pointing out that all of our team members didn’t treat you like the first one you encountered.
Chandigarh, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Good :-
The location is walking distance to anything you might want from restaurants and historic sites to museums, markets, cheese steaks, sculptures, fountains and murals.

Friendly staff in all areas, bellman was helpful, front desk went out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay, concierge always pleasant and knew the answers.

Bad :-
The arrival experience is poor, the driveway is not particularly attractive and the main entrance doors are not befitting an important upscale hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors and toward logan circle has great view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I want you to know that we are currently working on our driveway area and main entrance. We know the challenges we face in that area. We hope that the changes that we are making will bring you back to the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown.
On The Road
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel belongs in a museum - no really, I mean that.
I have been traveling for work for right around six years and this is by and large one of the worst hotels I have visited in terms of guest service, cleanliness, amenities, room condition, and overall guest experience.

First of all, it is an absolutely nightmare to find - hemmed in by one way streets on all sides - the driveway to access the front door is tucked in between two buildings.... while the tower rises 20+ stories, it is very easy to SEE the hotel - but, well.... you can't get there from here!

Next - parking at $44 a day for Valet and $38 for self park is outrageous! The parking garage is filthy beyond measure - literally my car got dirty, covered in what seems like dryer lint after just one night. The ventilation fan when the P2 elevator door opens rivals the sound of an Airbus A380 on departure/takeoff. Who can justify $38 for SELF PARKING at a dated, dirty, and has-been hotel? Just wait till you hop on the elevator to the lobby - want to talk about disgusting? There was what appeared to be blood on one of the elevator buttons - GROSS!

OK - let's talk a walk to the front desk - you had better look hard, because there is nothing to distinguish the rest of the lobby from the tucked away, unassuming, and difficult to identify bowling alley of a front counter. No identification of hotel brand, no marker to indicate individual check-in stations - I felt like I walked up to the front desk of any generic hotel and was coldly acknowledged - not greeted - by a staff member who could frankly care less if he did anything during his shift or not. No offer to explain the hotel amenities, what was available in the lobby... hot to get around the hotel... let alone to my room. I've had better experiences at hotels that cost FAR less, and were FAR more appealing. I used the lobby restroom upon arrival after a long day of driving and the restrooms were just as you will find the rest of the property - dirty beyond belief.

So I take my keys, hop in the elevator (once again, absolutely filthy) and arrive on my floor and proceed to follow the signs to my room. The carpet in the hallway hasn't been touched in weeks - loose threads, dust bunnies, random candy wrapper - and oh, yes - you guessed - room service trays from breakfast! I check in after 11:00pm, and there were still room service trays from 12+ hours ago!

After that I insert my key into the door, and open up the door to the smell of dust, dirt, and mildew. There were dust bunnies hanging from the ceiling! The baseboards were covered with dust and dirt. There were stains on the carpet, the furniture looked like something rescued from the thrift store pile - dirty, worn, and dated... not good.

My room was located with a view of the driveway - so I heard taxi's honking their horn till well after midnight. There were several bouts of screaming and shouting throughout the night.
This hotel deserves some serious attention from the folks who 'sign off' on franchise agreements each year - this hotel is a disgrace to the Starwood family of hotels.

Let's continue down the path of more cash to pay at a horrible hotel - $9.95 a day for internet access - and when I called the front desk to inquire abut Starwood Preferred Guest members receiving free Wi-Fi - the lady was extremely rude, and practically shouted "Only in the LOBBY!" - Yeah, sorry I asked... sorry I called GUEST SERVICES. Oh, and you CANNOT put the internet charges on your room bill - you have to pay it online WITH a credit card - EVERY DAY! You can't pay for length of stay, you have to log back on and re-enter your credit card information every 24 hours. REALLY? What is this 1996? Should I have remember to check my AOL Dial Up number before leaving home to avoid long distance charges? WOW

Finally, let's move on to the renovations that are taking place - they are transforming a hopelessly dated lobby in to a white hopelessly dated lobby. The furniture is trendy and well... that's about it! The marble floors belong in an episode of Dallas.

If you are going to Philadelphia for work, do yourself a favor and stay as far away from the Sheraton Dust Bowl as possible. Between $9.95 for internet, $38 for parking, and the allergy medicine you will need after sleeping amongst the dust bunnies - you could have stayed at a really nice hotel with competent management, a true sense of hospitality, and a physical structure that is just depressing to be around.

I rarely ever give a hotel a terrible rating, but for what you will pay to stay here, park here, and connect to the internet - you might as well stop at the casino on the way in to town, I'm willing to bet you will get more for your money there - even if you lose!

Never again, Sheraton - never again!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms at this hotel, look for other hotels in the area!
Regards,

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!