“BEST Hotel in the area by FAR!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York, New York
“BEST Hotel in the area by FAR!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I spent a romantic weekend together as well as attending our first wedding together without KIDS! It was her first time in the Philly downtown area and I wanted the experience to be tops. Never stayed at this hotel, but love the Starwood chain of hotels, so I figured we'd try it. We were met by Joe the doorman, who proceeded to greet us with information about the hotel and offer to watch our car while we rushed to get unpacked and promptly dressed for the wedding so we wouldn't be late. The car was waiting for us when we returned. Unbelievable!

My wife and I entered the room and my wife, the Director of Housekeeping of a very prominent NYC hotel and extra picky, went to work immediately. Her critique was basically....NO CRITIQUE! Nothing wrong anywhere. Beautifully done, spotless, comfortable and with a beautiful view of the gorgeous fountain, the domed church and a nice clear view of the rocky steps - museum of art. Totally cool and we just were getting started (didn't even want to go to the wedding at this point).

After returning from the wedding, we were greeted by Joe again and then met Ryan, the concierge, who was a wealth of information about the area and the hotel. We really felt at home, having called Ryan anytime we needed basically anything. He couldn't be more friendly and cordial about helping us, totally eager to make sure we had an absolutely wonderful stay in Philly.

I can't even remember the name of the fine people we encountered at the front desk, but all were top notch, called us by our Mr. and Mrs. last names and asked us about our stay.

We were on the club floor and went to the lounge and were greeted by Sean, a tall, friendly person that kept refilling the food and drinks in the lounge. This was the most generous lounge we had seen. Fresh fruit, Starbucks coffee (also available in our room), great danish, cereal, hard boiled eggs, sodas, water, juices, milk. Totally a welcome surprise after a workout in the impeccably clean fitness center. There were like five or six elliptical machines, treadmills, weight lifting machines and a really decent indoor pool.

My wife went over to the GM just to compliment the staff and the HR team for hiring them. This hotel was so clean, professionally run and I do not understand anyone saying it was "old" looking. One comment talked about chips and energy bars only in the lounge? Maybe if you came before or after hours, but most places give you nearly nothing if you're there before or after the hours. This place had stocked it so well, we were stuffed and could hardly eat at the after-wedding brunch. They are most generous and absolutely inviting.

By the way, we were staying here instead of the much more pricey Ritz Carlton where the rest of the wedding party was staying and when we attended the brunch at the Ritz Carlton, heard everyone complain about how musty and dingy the Ritz Carlton was. The area where we were at the Sheraton, even though only a few blocks away from the Ritz Carlton, was MUCH better for walking around and even parking temporarily. My wife and I were elated that we, instead, chose the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the fountain! Totally worth it. Try to stay on the Club Level. Also, very...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PhilipMarcano, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. Not only did you address some employees by name you made every employee feel good about the part they played in your stay. Our GM is fairly new to this property, and I know you made his day with your comments. I hope your review helps other perspective guest when they choose a hotel to stay in the city. In the spirit of hospitality please let us be at your service when you visit our city again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel over the Memorial Day weekend. Overall, we were very pleased. Hotel staff was pleasant, room was ready when we arrived and we had no problems with any type of noise. The room was very nice, beds were really comfortable and the pool and fitness center were also very enjoyable. It was close to the sights and we had a great weekend. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown I would like to say thank you. I respond to each and every review (positive and negative). We enjoying getting reviews, it helps us gauge our quality of service. We must say that the good reviews, makes our fingers feel good when typing. Please let us be at your service when you make a return trip to Philadelphia
Regards
Dayton, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I went there a few of times for business in past 3 years and now I told my company if they still give me this hotel I won't go. It is just too old and pool and fitness center are much smaller , they are just tiny! The club lounge provides only chips and energy bars, they are just cheap!! The location is good though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We hope that you and your company will give us another opportunity. Our Club Lounge now does offer more. Sunday through Thursday form 5:30pm to 9:00pm we offer hot and cold hors d’oeuvres. Sodas, juice and water are also provided. Beer and wine would be at an additional cost. In February, we will be undergoing a renovation. If you do decided to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me personally. I will be happy to make sure you will enjoy the hotel as much as you enjoy the location. In the spirit of hospitality thank you.
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

During the recent RIMS conference, my company booked me into this hotel. The location is borderline, not exactly in a nice neighborhood but just a short walk away from City Hall and the Ben Franklin Parkway. The rooms are typical for US business hotels. Large, practical but not exciting. Apparently the staff was overwhelmed with the bookings and many of my colleagues still had no room late in the day. Personally, I got lucky and got right in.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We hope that the conference was very informative and exciting to you. The RIMS Conference was a busy but exciting time for us as well. We try our best to accommodate everyone as best as we can.so we apologize if some of your colleagues had to wait past check in time to get to their rooms. We look forward to the next RIMS Convention and hope you choose us again so we can gain your confidence in our Hotel and in our brand.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

If you are a bit like me (European), then this place is not your first address. Arrived at noon, still no room free at 3pm – seems they can’t handle predicable large volume -> understaffed. Not the place to get a good sleep either: in three nights I hardly slept during the first and second. The place is loud, no possibility to open a window – even a tiny bit. And this is what would have helped immensely: sticky air to give me headaches; loud AC did not help either. In the second night I started smelling smoke deep in the night. Nightmare. Third night I slept from pure exhaustion. Neck aches from pillow. No complimentary breakfast. Will know better next time. I am not a friend of US corporate hotels generally, but this was worse than usual. Good thing: very central location; good shower. Huge TV if that's what you care for. Staff is fine. The problem is a greedy corporation.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your room was not ready for the 3:00p.m check in time. We pride ourselves in giving our guests a good night sleep with our signature Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds. I wish we could have had an opportunity to assist & correct the issues you encountered prior to your departure. We appreciate your feedback and hope we can be of service to you in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Booked this hotel through Hotwire for only a night at the very last minute. The wifi came at a charge and there wasn't even an "all day" option, we had to pay for hourly increments. There may have been a wedding or some other sort of large party staying at the hotel because the hallway on our floor and the lobby were always obnoxiously loud. Location is great, room was clean, staff were decently polite. The unsettling part of the experience was the strong smell of weed that met us on our floor the entire time we stayed. This completely turns me off from ever wanting to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, I would like to offer an apology for the issues you have encountered. We do serve groups of all sizes at our Hotel . We normally don’t have complaints about the noise levels but we do understand peoples sensitivity to noise and various levels. We also do not condone any activity which is not legal. We offer various options for internet service. We offer an hourly, 24 hours and weekly options. We also have the Link at Sheraton which is the Lobby that provides complimentary printing and internet for all of our guests. We once again apologize for not meeting your expectations. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to service you in the near future.
Monroeville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Went for a wedding and was pleasantly surprised at how friendly and accommodating the staff were. From the young man at the front door, to the people at the front desk, to the bartenders and waitresses to the breakfast servers. Thanks for accommodating us post reception in the bar area.
Sheila Zeilmann guest at Dobosz-Yhost wedding
Monroeville NJ

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PhilipMarcano, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
On Behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, we would like to thank you for your review. We hope you had a great time at the Wedding. Thank you for acknowledging our staff members by department. We hope that whatever brings you into town you will give us the opportunity to give you great service once again.