“Great deal, great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North 17th Street, 17th & Race Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #52 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
laurendavis
“Great deal, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

We booked this hotel thru priceline for $95 a night. We were a little nervous b/c Priceline had it listed as a 3* and we usually only book 4* thru them (since you never know what you'll get). We arrived at 9am on a Friday morning and doubted they would let us check in so early. Not only did they let us check in, the awesome desk person (Pippa) upgraded us to the Starwood Preferred floor, gave us an amazing view of the Benjamin Franklin parkway and art museum, and a king bed non smoking, just as we wanted. The bed was very large, the room was a great size (even had a couch in it) and it was very clean. We had fantastic service thru them the entire time - from door men to concierge (although, don't take her advice on breakfast... the place she sent us was awful - yoni's), we experienced great service. The city seems really spread out, so I don't know what an ideal location is... but that would be the only negative about this hotel. It is a little on the outskirts. But we figured all the walking was good for all the eating we did.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

I had a Priceline bid of $100.00 accepted by this hotel. For that price the hotel is a steal. There are several negative posts about this hotel, but most were written last spring. It appears they are improving.

The biggest negative in my mind (and it's not really bad) is the location. Although you can find many restaurants and shops within about 3 or 4 blocks, there is not much within the immediate vicinity.

I had a car and I think it was an excellent central city location for a car, easy in and out and freeway access.

I also walked around the center city quite a bit and found the location good since I don't mind walking.

The parking was $25.00 per nite for self parking underground. I was thinking of parking cheaper in the Gateway parking lot between 15th and 16th streets on Spring, but opted for the safety and security of hotel parking.

The hotel could use some updating, but most everything worked okay. The TV was not the best, but I did not come to Philly to watch tv.

The room was very clean.

The bed was very comfy. The bathroom was big enough and the marble counter top was nice. The plumbing worked fine.

The door stuck, but after the first few times I found a quick kick at the bottom of the door as I pushed solved that little problem.

I did not eat in the restaurant or use any of the other services.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again although I would prefer another center city location if the price was comparable.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

I stayed at the Sheraton Philadelphia for a conference at the convention center in October. I am an SPG Gold Member and was given a room on the 25th "SPG Floor". Overall, I would only give it 3 stars.

The lobby is very plain and looks like a Ramada with nothing special at all. Also, the carpets were dirty and nobody opened the doors or offered to take my bags. The food in the lounge was okay but again I felt like I was in a Ramada at best.

The room was okay with the usual comfortable Sheraton bed. Unfortunately, the bathroom was small and my shower curtain was ripped. As mentionned, my bathroom was small but I guess this is standard for a hotel built in the 70 or 80s (my guess on the age of this hotel). The TV was pretty pathetic - a standard 25 or 27 inch TV. Of special note, the elevators were disgusting - dirty and so jerky some people became nauseated.

The location is okay. Not far from the downtown shopping/dining core and within walking distance of some attractions. I had a nice view from my 25th floor room.

On the plus side, the front desk staff were generally helpful and polite.

I would not return here again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

I was surprised at such good service and accomodations after reading the reviews. I was at the hotel for three nights for a conference at the convention center. The beds were very soft and comfortable and my room was clean. I had excellent service all around with: checking in, eating at the hotel bars and restaurants as well as getting a ride back to the airport. I also had an amazing view of the city from the 21st floor which was an added bonus. Overall, I was quite pleased with my stay and had no complaints.

Stayed October 2007
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Stayed here for one night only as we were in town for a wedding.

No problems with this hotel and it was what I expect from a Sheraton. The room was big and the bed was massive and very comfortable. The decor was tasteful. Everything was clean and the bathroom was nice. Sounds like we stayed at a different hotel compared to what other people have written on here, I really didn't see any of the problems people mentioned.

It was reasonably priced for being downtown and was about 10 mins walk to the main shopping area, but about 5 mins from Logan Square. I think our rate was 179 for a king room.

Probably won't be back to Philly but would stay there again. Friends had stayed in the Club Quarters, and said it was awful, and I don't think it was that much cheaper.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

checked in late after a concert..room was clean..but on a friday nite nothing to eat...neither resturant or even the bar served food after 11:00.kinda strange to me a big city hotel would not have anything open on a friday nite. the handed me some menus for takeout pizza... real classy

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

It is an overpriced hotel. I thought a hotel in center city philadelphia provides me with good value for money, but i guess I was wrong. The bed rooms are small, and they threw me into a triangle shaped room. no courtesy of staff and no good facilities. overall, it is a big big disappointment

• Stayed June 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!