“Location, location, location and not much else” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel

You added Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3549 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (University City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #31 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Slingerlands, New York
“Location, location, location and not much else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have stayed here multiple times, this time being a longer stay. The location of the hotel could not be better if you need to be close to U. Penn, Drexel, HUP, CHOP, etc. the hotel other than that is strictly average, other than the wifi which is terrific for a hotel.

Concerns-

The staff is indeed all over the place. One greeted me like an old friend, others are strictly business, and I had to initiate the good morning or good evening. One of the front desk staff got into an argument with my wife over a minor issue which could have been easily resolved. There is a bellman/concierge who is constantly in the lobby, and didn't acknowledge me once during a 10 day plus stay.

The hotel restaurant is an oriental noodle house. It is good, but has two issues; first, the odor of oriental food often permeates the property. Second, room service consists almost entirely of their menu. Fine if you are in the mood for it, but if not.....

The hallways are nice, but the rooms do need work. Specifics always help, and one example is the dark brown semi wood grain wallpaper in the bathrooms. Needs to go.

It is nice to have a concierge lounge. Breakfast was terrific, however the evening selections never changed other than one hot dish. Not great for those staying more than a couple of days.

I'll wrap up with two stories that illustrate the personnel issues here: one morning there was loud noise coming from the next room. I knocked on the wall, and it stopped, but realized that it was the staff using a guest room for a break. Not acceptable, but couldn't they have used one of the many vacant rooms with an unoccupied room next door?

Last, one of my favorite hotel stories, my fault, but unacceptable reaction. After so long away from home, I got lazy, and showed up for breakfast in the lounge in socks. Granted, not cool, but not a felony. The housekeeper sitting in the lounge banished me back to my room to put on footwear, and not privately, but publicly for all in the lounge to hear. This is a Sheraton?

Room Tip: See if you can get the upper floors and an upgrade to the concierge lounge.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Rhapsodyinblue,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about the staff issues you encountered during your stay– we would like to discuss your experience further. Please feel free to contact us at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 so we can investigate this further, as we would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
long island ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Hotel sounds like it has all the amenities but it was a big disappointment. As soon as we got off the elevator, the corridor appeared to need vacuuming...so did the room. Bathroom was done cheaply..just not what you except from a Sheraton. Some staff was friendly and accommodating others seemed to be bothered. It just served the purpose but for those rates, it should have been more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear mean1234,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are dissapointed to hear of your experience and apologize for the conditions of the hallway and your guest room, as well as lack of enthusiasm from some of our team members. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly and assist. Please connect with me at Guest Services: 215-387-8000, ext. 627 so we may discuss this further.

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you have a reason to be the the University of Pennsylvaia or the U. of Pnnsylvania Hospital, this is the perfect place to stay:iIt is within easy walking disance to those institutions.The hotel was remodeled recently and the lobby and rooms have a sleeker, more modern look. In addition to wi-fi in all the rooms, there is a small business center in a quiet area of the lobby and the computers there are new and fast. I haven't tried the spa or gym or pool so I can't comment on them. The only restaurant serves East Asian food which is good but not outstanding. Breakfast is American; the staff in the restaurant is efficient and pleasant. I do think the hotel should upgrade its towels and amenities (soap, shampoo etc.) Check-in and out were easy, efficient and pleasant. the hotel is well maintained.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Aslancik,

We appreciate you taking the time to post your experience with us! We hope to see you soon!

PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during the weekend of Penn's high school mock trial competition, along with several other school groups. Initial check-in was quick; the service at the desk friendly and efficient. The lobby was clean and well-decorated. There were several elevators and throughout our stay, never waited long for one.

Upon entering the room to which we were assigned, we discovered the lights were on, suitcases and camera bags were lying around the room. Fortunately, there appeared to be no people in the room. We returned to the registration desk and for our inconvenience were offered a suite, which we gladly accepted. The suite had a king-sized bed, separate living room area and a small kitchenette. There were four of us, so we needed two beds. Although the sofa pulled out into a bed, we know from past experiences that the sofa beds tend to be uncomfortable. The room appeared to be very worn and dusty. When my children pulled the cushions off the sofa to see if it was a sofa bed, there were crumbs and other particles lying underneath.

I once again returned to the registration desk and asked if there was a room available with two beds. The lady at the desk seemed surprised that we would turn down the suite, but checked for another room and informed me that there was only one room with two beds available. I was quite upset with this due to the fact that I made my reservation in October for this trip and it was only 6pm. I knew others from our group had not yet arrived and had identical room requirements to ours.

We took the room and proceeded to the 16th floor. When we got off the elevator, all the housekeeping doors were open just off the elevator. There were several housekeeping attendants on the floor, who seemed to be socializing; there were carts with towels, dirty linens and garbage all over our end of the hall. The floors in the hall appear as if they haven't been swept for weeks. Although our room was relatively clean, the furniture and fixtures were outdated and worn. The carpeting was stained; a piece of trim near the floor had fallen off. There was no refrigerator, although I was told by others in our group that their rooms had them. There were obvious signs of previous water leaks in the ceiling which were painted over but the plaster not repaired. The room was very small, although I have come to expect that in a city hotel. The floor in the bathroom could have used a scrubbing, although it wasn't filthy.

Cleaning on our hall continued past 10pm until I was finally so tired I fell asleep anyway. Vacuums were being run outside our door, conversations by housekeeping staff could be overheard and doors were being open and closed. When I left our room in the morning, I noticed that the hall still seemed dirty and unswept, which I found puzzling.

The only restaurant in the hotel serves Asian cuisine. Since my family and I don't particularly like this type of food, we had to leave the hotel for each meal which was quite inconvenient.

Location of the hotel is ideal if you are visiting Penn or Drexel. Everything is within walking distance. This area of the city seems relatively safe. College-age folks were often seen walking
alone in the areas around the hotel. There are plenty of small restaurants (chain and local) in the area, as well as a Wawa's across the street. There is also a CVS Pharmacy just a couple blocks away.

We parked our car in the Sheraton's parking garage for the entire weekend and had no reason to move it. Upon our departure, we realized parking for Sheraton guests was $25/day with a voucher, which we were not given at check-out. We did not know to ask for one either. The attendant allowed us to provide our hotel receipt (which was packed in our bags in the back of the car) and gave us the guest rate with that documentation.

Overall, I was terribly unimpressed with this hotel. Although I always book hotels with high Trip Advisor ratings, I booked this hotel because others in our group did and we received a discounted rate through the arrangements made by Penn. Even with the reduced rate, I felt we received little for what we paid. If we return to this tournament next year, I will be booking at the Hilton across the street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Barbos111:
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations; nor did your experience represent our standards for quality. We truly apologize for the lack of cleanliness and maintenance issues that you encountered in your guest room and on your guest room floor. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. As a note, our guest rooms will be undergoing a full refresh this summer. We hope that you will give us another oppotunity to host you and your group next year for the Penn Mock Trials and see the changes that we are making.
We would love to hear from you directly to discuss your stay further and take care of the room issues immediately. Please feel free to connect with our Guest Services Management Team at 215-387-8000, ext. 627. We hope to hear from you soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Location is perfect for parents of students in Uni of Penn or Drexel University but doesn't live upto the Sheraton standard in other contries. Is a good, well maintained hotel and one can expect a peaceful stay but in no means is it a luxury stay as suggested by prices during college convocation times.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear vb329,
We appreciate you posting a review of our hotel. Our location is ideal for the universities and University City has many wonderful restaurants, shops and museums/theaters all in walking distance of the hotel. We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you as our guest in the near future!

San Fernando, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Great location in University City... Stayed on the club floor (18th), and had no problem with my stay. The room is very clean and comfortable, and has everything available (flatscreen TV, super fast Wi-Fi, coffee maker) other than a small fridge which should have been included for the club room.

Parking is not a problem as the carpark is to the back (adjoining) to the hotel and costs $25 per day which isn't bad for a city garage price. This hotel has definitely lived up to its Sheraton name and I will recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in the University area in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Club floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

A gem in University City. Lovely rooms, quiet, and great fitness center. Nice atrium for hanging out. Great Chinese restaurant with a DIM SUM brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. I shoudl go back for a weekend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo