“There are better choices in Philadelphia” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #38 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Philadelphia
“There are better choices in Philadelphia”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

We stayed at the hotel last Saturday night for a getaway. Having stayed at the Four Seasons, Westin and Ritz Carlton, it's clear that the Hyatt just doesn't measure up. Our room was quite small and a bit shoddy. We requested a King but had to make do with a Queen because that's all they had. The bathroom was the highlight and we enjoyed the terrific water pressure. We had a delicious breakfast at Ninteen but the server was subpar.

Upon check-in, they asked which Sunday paper we'd like delivered. When there was no paper the next morning, we went to the front desk to inquire. We were originally given Saturday's paper and then told they'd look into it. We stepped into the dining room for breakfast and the frontdesk person said she'd bring one over. An hour later, we had no paper and asked again. We were told that there weren't enough delivered. No apology, no more explanation. While this is a small thing, the experience convinces me that the Hyatt is not playing in the big leagues.

There are so many excellent hotels in the city. One of them will get out future business.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2007

In short, this is a decent hotel, but I wouldn't recommend it to most people.

The hotel reception is located on the 19th floor - a bell desk downstairs directed me up to 19, took my bag, and brought it to the room within 30 seconds of my arrival in the room. Check-in was fast and easy for me, although the person to my left seemed to be having problems. Hotel staff were generally friendly.

The room was small to medium-sized, very high-ceilinged, decorated with an abundance of pale yellow and green busily patterned wallpapers - the furniture was old-fashioned, but not too tired out, and the room had a few nice don't-see-those-often-anymore amenities (i.e., a valet stand and lit makeup mirror). The room had a cloying sweet scent (chemical-ish, probably related to the heating), but it wasn't noticable after a few minutes. The linens were nice quality, but the upper was only a duvet - not warm enough, and I needed to use the blanket already in the closet - and the bottom was a slightly too small flat sheet, so it and the matress pad slid around and bunched up annoyingly. The shower was fine on the first morning, but not quite warm enough (even when turned up all the way) the second morning.

The room service arrived quickly but was not tasty, and was a bit overpriced, even by good-hotel standards. The second night, I took advantage of the (not affiliated to the hotel) Palm steakhouse, located downstairs in the strange little shopping arcade on the first floor of the building, and got a very good filet mignon and creamed spinach to go for a bit less money. The fitness center is actually a full gym located in the same building and is spectacular - the only people I would recommend this hotel to are people for whom a good hotel gym is a key factor.

The biggest problem I had was with business services. The wireless internet ($10/day) was done through t-mobile - the signal was good quality, but the link to bill the service to my room wouldn't work, and the hotel desk was unable to resolve the problem, so I had to bill it direct instead. Much more importantly, I had to send out an important fax one night. Although I emphasized the importance of directing it to one person within my office, it was sent out without even a cover sheet or any fax header identifying the sender, and was therefore bounced around the office throughout the next day, causing great aggravation. More importantly, the documents themselves (my only copies) were not returned to me that evening, and the morning desk staff had to search fairly extensively to locate them.

I have to be back in Philadelphia several times over the next few months, and the location of this hotel is good, but I very much doubt I'll stay here again.

• Liked — fitness center
  • Disliked — business services
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami Beach, FL USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2007

I stayed here for the first time in the Summer of 2006 and had an excellent experience. So, when I found myself having to travel to Philadelphia once again, I once again chose this hotel.

The hotel staff is friendly, I found the rooms in very good shape and the food is very good too.

Location is perfect and I will definately stay here again.

• Liked — The facility was very well maintained.
  • Disliked — No problems
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

A bit difficult to find since there isn't a predominant sign outside. However, once found, this hotel is superb. Situated above a upperscale mall, the rooms and property, while furnished in old-style wallpaper, carpet and in-room furnishings, were above compare in my opinion. I had a room facing the courtyard which was beautiful. The hotel is centrally located and all in our party felt safe. Front desk staff, concierge and security were all pleasant and performed to the utmost. Rooms were spacious and well furnished, very quiet, and the restaurant and wine bar were amazing.
I highly recommend the hotel and it's a rare trip that I can't find something to complain about!

• Liked — Location and quality of staff
  • Disliked — hard to find, a few hiccups at check-in but nothing major.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

We stayed at the Park Hyatt in Philly for 3 nights when in town for a wedding. The decor in the rooms is quite dated - not up to the standards of a park hyatt. In fairness they acquired the property fairly recently so renivations are likely to follow.

However, service is where the hotel really fell apart.

Firstly, we called from London to book massges prior to our stay. We offered 2 options - we preferred 2 at the same time but would take one after the other and told them to confirm them. We were told they were definitely booked but noone knoew it it was 2 at once or sequentially....so we had to return to the hotel for the early slot in case they were sequential. So we waited...and waited.... no one showed up at all.

Secondly, when we went to take a shower after our long flight the water was only lukewarm. We called them and they sent an engineer who mae some adjustments centrally to put the heat up. Unfortunately every time we went to take a shower it was the same story - and the same laborious process.

Thirdly, concierge recommendations were not up tp the standard of a 5* hotel - and not as professional as the nearby ritz carlton.

Additionally, we had brunch inthe restaurant - lovely food but the waiter left the white wine on the table - not in a bucket to keep it chilled.

Lastly, our stay was made through 2 bookings - one made by oursleves for 2 nights then an additional night for me on my own for work. All we asked was if I could remain in the same room for the second booking - it was supposedly sorted. Instead I returnd to the room with cleaning staff and maangers all over my things, then assured the confusion had been resolved received a bill for all 3 nights on my personal credit card, then having spent a half hour with reception going through both reservations and leaving paperwork with them to sort out my work reservation, went to leave for the aiport and check out and found 2 separate bills - both in my husband's name - (not mine for work ! not very useful) and not applying the company negotiated rate.

Though staff were nice, overall it was a real disappointment.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — service, room
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Our room at the Park Hyatt was absolutely beautiful! In fact, the entire hotel was stunning. We found the staff to be extremenly pleasant, especially the door staff. There is another review about a top sheet being missing from the beds and I did notice right away that there was a flat sheet instead of a fitted sheet but it really wasn't that bad. Everything else was so nice, I couldn't complain. We didn't eat in the hotel's restaurants so I can't comment on that but we did order room service (rather expensive) and the food was excellent.

• Liked — location, beautiful room
  • Disliked — internet in room not free!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2006

I am just back from a one night stay in Philadelphia.
First, I would say that the hotel is nicely located and the grand old architecture mixed with a new urban style in the reception, restaurants, etc is really nice. The people were more than friendly and helpful. The room decor was very traditional and a disconnect from the public spaces, the carpet tired and the water pressure slow. Would I return??? Maybe but not as compelling as most Park Hyatts

• Liked — Design of public spaces
  • Disliked — Room decor
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid 12th Floor Atrium Room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt at The Bellevue? Share your experiences!