“Better than I expected, but not extraordinary.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #37 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
“Better than I expected, but not extraordinary.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My boyfriend and I try to stay in the city overnight every few months to eat, drink, and escape suburbia temporarily. I reserved the stay through expedia, at just over $100, not knowing the hotel until after booking. My logic being a 4.5 star rating would be guarantee a luxury experience. I had buyer's remorse immediately once I started reading these reviews, but backing out of online deals like that are not an option. Self park is a wonderful option at $27 and the garage drops you right at the lobby entrance. The front reception was welcoming (the same goes for checking out. Very sweet people.) and they had us in room 1707, as another review had previously documented. The room was clean with really beautiful tall ceilings. But it was dated. I support them keeping the integrity of the building and it's style, so a worn desk or chair doesn't totally turn me off to the room completely, but I think if I was paying over $200 I would have been really disappointed. It was nice, but not what I would expect for that star rating and that price, especially the bathroom. It was average. But for what I paid for it, it was a perfectly fine place to spend one night. They had design boards in the lobby with illustrations of what the renovations will entail. It looked like they were going more in the modern direction of many of the other boutique hotels in the city and I wish them the best of luck. I wouldn't be opposed to staying there again once they update it a bit, although I do hope they keep a bit of a historic feel. I was also disappointed that when we got back Sunday night after dinner, XIX was closed. It felt odd that a bar at a hotel wouldn't be available for a cocktail before bed, but luckily with such a wonderful location it was only a few blocks to get to barbuzzo for midnight pig popcorn and drinks (although I was still upset I didn't get to have XIX lychee kiss- one of my favorite drinks in the city!)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I love this hotel for the Grand French Renaissance era that represents. Tiffany chandeliers, Lalique Crystals, a majestic ballroom. Also the Shops at the Bellevue housing Tiffany's, William Sonoma, Nicole Miller, Ralph Lauren, oh yes and a sign of the times "Starbucks" and other shops on main level, food court on lower level. The weird thing is that main check-in reception area is not at the front grand entrance, there you will be greeted by the security guards which will direct you to the other side of the hotel across from their indoor parking lot. I Have stayed here twice this month combining my husband's business trip, while I've enjoyed touring this old city by myself the first time and then with our children. It's the oldest hotel in Philly built in 1904. Franklyn Roosevelt received his presidential nomination in 1936, Harry Truman and other famous socialites have stayed here. Centrally located on Walnut and South Broad Avenue also called Avenue of the arts, hub for shopping, dining and cultural districts. Easy access to all public transportation. Hotel is two blocks away from Penn Square where City Hall is, the John Wanamaker building now Macy's(by the way Macy's has the biggest working pipe organ in the world, and if you are there around 5 p.m. you will be treated to an angelical serenade). If you like to shop, Walnut St has it all on Rittenhouse Row, from Burberry, Armani, Coach to Juice Couture and everything in between. The hotel has 2 restaurants located on the 19th fl called XIX Cafe and XIX (the Restaurant) both offer similar menus. Breakfast is served at the Cafe which has breathtaking views of Philly's skyline and a more informal decor for this hotel standards. The Restaurant is very elegant with its pearls chandelier draping the gorgeous ceiling, spectacular Sunset! Open for dinner, reservations are suggested, but staff is very accommodating. Angel the morning host always greets you with a smile, the staff is very pleasant. Also The Palm restaurant is on first floor, great food and vibrant atmosphere. This hotel is definitely not the best for families with small children, but certainly a pleasure to stay here if your kids are not demanding of a kiddie pool or mini club. My big disappointment came in while taking a leisure walk in the morning to the lower level where food court is, decided to go to the ladies room and overheard my daughter a 12 year old trying to warn me before I came out. As I opened the door to join her, I saw a gigantic 2 1/2 inches long roach. I screamed so hard for the unexpected visitor, just happened that a security guard was walking by and when he asked what happened? I told him but he just said oh! and kept walking. I had the feeling it was not the first time. Anyway great city, lots of history, great museums, (Philadelphia museum of Arts, Roding Museum, Fireman's Museum). Kids loved the Franklyn Institute (science museum) and Franklyn Square for mini golf. Don't miss the Constitution Center with the best 17minutes civic lesson anyone can get. Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Franklyn Post office, printing shop; U.S. Mint, Franklyn's grave. City Tavern serving colonial style food is a good experience; old Christ church (yes, I sat at the same pew as George Washington #58 or Ben #70) ; Rittenhouse Square located on Walnut and 18th St. where you will find a whole row of restaurants, Rouge, Devon, Parc. Morton's is across from hotel on Walnut. If you'd like more casual eating you can find Hard Rock Cafe on Market St and 12th St.; Olive Garden,, Applebee's are all in the neighborhood. Get comfy shoes as it's great to walk around and everywhere the city has to offer but I did take advantage of the Phlash public trolley buy an all day pass and you can hop in or out. Yes I am forgetting the famous Philly Cheese steaks. Had one at Campo's located on Market between 2nd and 3rd sts. I was not blown away. Last Sunday went straight to Jim's Steaks on Southstreet and 4th. The line was so long had to wait for over an hour outside, definitely worth the wait, just a reminder this is a factory joint you order, pay and then you can go upstairs and sit to eat. The place has seen better days, so I'm sure like us you'd probably want to get up as fast as you can, but the cheese steak was definitely delicious! South street is an interesting place with tons of bars, restaurants and yes tattoo parlors. Double Decker bus is a good way of touring the city.

Room Tip: Stayed in rm 1705 (king size bed 17th fl) &1408 (double queen size 14th fl) in 2 separate ocassi...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
washington, dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband and I just got back from a night at the Bellevue. The statement "seriously disappointed" is actually an understatement. Before I go further, I want to say that 1) we were aware that it was a historic hotel and 2) we have stayed at MANY Hyatt properties over the years.

We checked into the Bellevue as part of an anniversary weekend celebration having spent the previous night at a beautifully maintained historic hotel in Wilmington, DE (Hotel Dupont). While checking in we noticed a sign about hotel renovations and asked if any of the rooms had been renovated. We were told that the renovation had not begun. Clearly this should have been an indication to the desk clerk that we wanted a nice room. Instead we arrived in the most tired, worn out hotel room I have ever stayed in. I don't know if the room we were given had to do with the fact that we used our Hyatt reward points to pay for our stay or if the clerk just felt like giving us the worst room possible. Every piece of furniture in the room was nicked and scratched, the one chair and ottoman was so stained and worn out that I didn't want to sit in it, and the desk chair (also stained) wobbled when I sat in it. In addition, the carpet was stained and coming up from the floor. I was in complete disgust and called down to the front desk. Fortunately, a nice lady by the name of Ling answered (after I had been put on hold 3 times) and was able to move us to another room. The second room was certainly an upgrade from the room we were in originally, but honestly it was still a very tired, old room. Again the stained carpet was coming up from the wall, there was peeling wallpaper, a few small holes in the walls, and the toilet made a horrible screetching noise when we flushed it (something housekeeping should have noticed and reported to maintenance). Honestly, if we had been staying more than one night I would have checked out immediately. While I understand the hotel is about to undergo a renovation, the conditions under which these rooms are being rented out is just unacceptable to me.

How the hotel ever got into this horrible disrepair is just shocking to me. While I knew the hotel was older, I certainly expected more in terms of quality from a Hyatt. We stay at Hyatt's because they are upscale properties. The Bellevue in its current state, is nothing close to an upscale property. There are many wonderful properties in Philadelphia. Until the renovation of this hotel is complete, I would advise people to choose accomodations elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This hotel is in a great location for shopping and restaurants. The room was nicely decorated with furnishings that reflect the period in which the hotel was built. Our room had a view of Broad Street and overall was quiet. However, one major flaw from our perspective was the drapery hardware which jutted away from the wall a bit too far and as a result, did not allow the black-out drapes to completely black-out the room come sunrise (which was an issue given that the room faced east). Had a lovely lunch in the XIX Café, and would definitely recommend a visit to the hotel restaurants for the architecture of the building itself and the views. At a room rate of $224.10 (without tax), this hotel was an okay value but we probably will not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
DChien, General Manager at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for choosing Hyatt at The Bellevue for your visit to Philadelphia. We appreciate your comments regarding the Hotel. I am pleased to let you know that the Hotel is currently working on a renovation plan which begins August 2011. I am happy to say that we are working on the aesthetic aspects of guests’ experience. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We entered the Bellevue Building and were very excited by the beautiful old building. It was our kind of place! The staff allowed us to check in at 10:00am so we could change and go to my sister's college graduation. We immediately ordered room service as we had not eaten since we left Maine at 5:00am and it arrived very promptly and was delicious! The next morning we were up very early as we had to fly home and we were the only ones in the dining room for breakfast right when it opened. We enjoyed their breakfast buffet and especially the tiny pastries that allowed us to try one of each! Very thoughtful! We wish we had had time to explore the hotel as I saw gym and function facilities online that looked very nice. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in! Our room was nice and clean as well.

The downside...

The iron&ironing board were so dirty I opted not to iron my dress at all. We didn't have time before the graduation to call for new ones. There was peeling/water damaged wallpaper in the hall and trash was left around the elevator on our floor. Not bags of trash that housekeeping may have forgotten, but knocked over coke cups and used paper napkins etc. Also the room next to us had a room service tray left outside the room all day. You would think that when they delivered our room service they would have taken our neighbor's things away but they didn't. The tray was still there again after our tray had been taken away--very odd!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Hyatt at The Bellevue. I am disappointed to hear of the lapse in service you experienced. We will certainly address these areas of opportunity and hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again at some future time. Please feel free to contact us directly regarding your next visit to Philadelphia.

With kind regards,
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011 via mobile

We have tried several high-end hotels during our trips to Philly but keep returning to the Bellevue as they offer wonderfully large and well-appointed rooms. The beds are super comfortable and the location is great. Valet and self park are available and the train is right outside too, which is convenient when we're in town for a concert or game. Yes, it is an older hotel with signs of wear in the hallways. Yes, in those hallways it kind of reminds me of the hallway in the movie The Shining, but no evil twins encountered thus far so we shall continue to frequent.

My only complaint has been noise levels in the hallways. The doors are loud when they shut. And you can hear EVERYTHING in the hallways from your room.

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for choosing Hyatt at The Bellevue for your visit to Philadelphia. We appreciate your comments regarding the Hotel. I am pleased to let you know that the Hotel is currently working on a renovation plan, which will include guestroom noise reduction, to begin August 2011. I am happy to say that we are working on the aesthetic aspects of guests’ experience. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Great location, right in the center of town, near restaurants, entertainment, historic areas and public trans. The hotel has a relationship with the Philadelphia Fitness Center next door. Fitness Center has anything you might want to work off those fantastic DiBruno's hoagies. Rooms are tired with stained carpet, broken cabinetry, and bathrooms from another era. We could hear every word the maids said as they chatted in the hallway. Our door did not close (or open) very well and part of the lock was broken. Not impressed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Jeffrey Miller

Been to Hyatt at The Bellevue? Share your experiences!