“extremely comfortable downtown corporate hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City

You added Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 South Broad Street, Broad and Locust Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19107-5686   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
PARKING INCLUDED!
Ranked #37 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
NYC
“extremely comfortable downtown corporate hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this place is--I got my room on Hotwire for a very reasonable price. The hotel is centrally located, my room on the 21st floor was extremely comfortable (good beds and linens, lots of space, neutral decor, excellent view out my large corner windows, very clean), there was a small but well-appointed gym, and they gave me many, many warm cookies. They were kind and accommodating when I asked for a quiet room and late checkout. It's a big corporate hotel chain--if you're looking for originality or quirky charm or a cool neighborhood, don't stay at a big corporate hotel chain. But if you need to be right downtown and want someplace clean, nice, and comfortable where the cookies are warm, the beds are large, and the lobby has free wireless, this is perfect.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Greek first
Indian Shores, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I thought this was a very nice property for the price. It's clean and attractive, staff is friendly and helpful, elevators move at lightning speed, rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the location can't be beat. Hilton beds are pretty much unfailingly comfortable, and the ones here are no exception. I especially like the all-white linens and duvet...we've all read about what DNA-encrusted nightmares that hotel bedspreads can be, and it's comforting to be able to see that they are clean and stain-free (at least to the naked eye). Self parking is available right next door with in/out privileges for $22 a night, which is good for downtown Philly. In-room high-speed internet is available for $9.95/night. Rooms are modern and spacious, with a chair and ottoman, a desk w/ chair, a comfortably-sized bathroom with a roomy vanity, a full length mirror in the room, and a another mirror with vanity and electrical outlets just outside the bathroom (nice for when two people are trying to get ready to go out at the same time).

The salad I ordered from room service one night was okay, and the free breakfast served on the Hilton Honors executive floor was above average (wonderful doughnuts, and tasty hot offerings like scrambled eggs and sausage). Also, the in-room coffee was some of the best I've ever had in a hotel room...brewer only makes two cups, but you get Wolfgang Puck coffee (which was wonderful); large, sturdy paper cups with corrugated cardboard sleeves; Equal as the provided low-cal sweetner; and Mini Moo no-refrigeration-needed half & half instead of the powdered crap. It's coffee that's a pleasure to wake up to, instead of the usual hotel room sludge that has no purpose other than than being a drug delivery system for caffeine. We paid around $129/night for this hotel, and it''s difficult to believe that anyone would expect more than we got for that price in Center City. Recommended!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for business during a snow storm. I had a problem with the housekeeping supervisor coming to my room one night (there 2 nights) knocking at my door and then opening it when I didn't answer. I was coming back from the ice machine. I approached him and questioned what he was doing. He was very defiant and said he was checking if someone was in the room. He told me to go to the front desk and talk to them about it. I went down to the front desk and the manager on duty was very nice about straightening it out. She was a women manager. I saw the housekeeping manager come down and look at me during this.

The next morning, when I was sound asleep, housekeeping came and pounded on my door. It happened 3 times. I had to wake up later that day to get ready to check out and go to work. My "Do Not Disturb" sign was outside my door, so it was very upsetting that I kept on getting disturbed. I was so sound asleep I could not even answer the door. I went down to the front desk to complain as I was checking out. The same guy that was the guy knocking on my door the night before, came out since he was the housekeeping manager. He started yelling at me before I could even say anything. He was yelling so much the front desk was horrified. They sent 2 guys to take him away. He wouldn't stop yelling. They called the hotel manager and he came out and just defended the housekeeping manager. He told me to ask my company to use a different hotel. The front desk looked so surprised and alarmed when they heard what the manager was saying. I could see the expression on their faces since I was facing the front desk.

I then wrote to the Hilton headquarters in February and it is now April and I haven't heard back from them, even after questioning why I haven't heard back. It seems like corporate Hilton isn't much better.

I am a flight attendant and we stay at several brands of hotels. If I were picking a hotel in Philadelphia I would definitely NOT stay at this Doubletree or a Hilton. I would pick the Marriott chain or Hyatt. Both of these chains have always been professional and nice. Why give your business to a chain that has horrible customer service and a bad frequent stay program.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I'm not in the habit of writing negative reviews, but I don't want others to make the same mistake I did booking this hotel. Check in was smooth with a friendly clerk who got us in quickly. The top floor room was small but had a decent view of the theater district. Very small gym. Very small Executive Lounge with absentee staff. This is a relatively large hotel, but there were only two tales and about eight chairs in this room. There were more people in this room than there was space. So we went out for a snack and some drinks before dinner. Breakfast was not available because "there was only a half hour remaining". I was directed to the lobby restaurant where I was told that I was only permitted one continental breakfast. If the other person in my room wanted breakfast, I'd have to go to the front desk to get another voucher. Determined to have breakfast, I got another voucher from the front desk. After finally getting a table, the bread was stale and the fruit was gone. :-( Originally booked at this hotel for two nights, I cancelled the second night and checked out. As I was checking out, I let the front desk people know about my ordeal and they didn't seem too concerned. I won't be returning to the Philadelphia Doubletree Hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
hospitalitynow, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
I would like to take this time to personally thank you for choosing the Doubletree Hotel as your home away from home during this visit to the Philadelphia area. It is our most sincere goal to provide quality accommodations coupled with friendly and efficient service. You have brought to our attention your experiences and we want you to know that we are definitely paying attention.

I want to sincerely apologize for the challenging experience you just described in this review. I am truly sorry for our shortcomings in all the areas you have mentioned. Our management has looked into the Executive Lounge based on your experiences and have come up with better ways to improve service and ensure a presence of our staff at all times. They have also looked at your comments in the restaurant and are taking all the steps needed to ensure freshness of products and a continuous flow of service.

I would like to assure you that the circumstances you encountered during your last stay are not representative of the service we can provide. I do hope that you would be willing to provide us an opportunity to serve you in the future so that we can present a level of service that this hotel, city, and Hilton Hotels Worldwide is known for.

Thank you kindly for sharing your experiences with us as this will only help us improve our services and operations for your future satisfaction.

Hotel Representative
DC Area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Good:
Pool was nice. the kids had fun.
Lobby had wifi
Room and bathroom was clean

Bad:
Noise - We were in room 2112, which is right next to the elevator. We could hear the elevator all night long. If someone talked in the hallway. Any where in the hall way we could hear it. And there were people all night long. We could hear the room next to us; conversation and music until mid night.
Executive Package - we upgraded to the exectutive packed when we purchased online. They close the exective louge for the weekend and the breakfast. Also, because we needed two beds, they could not put us on the exective floor. When I talked to the staff they gave me a meal voucher for the restraunt. Why they did not give that to me at check in.

Conclusion: the manager gave us a 50% discount. my wife says we stilll got riped off and I shoudl have asked for two free night anywhere in the us.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed here on a busy weekend (the hotel was hosting a convention and was packed full) and found it to be a good option for Philadelphia. It is very well-located near theaters and restaurants in a safe and busy downtown area. Despite being packed, the reception staff handled our arrival efficiently and we were quite pleased with the room. Our room was on an upper floor with a nice view, but far enough away from traffic that there was no noticeable noise and we had a quiet and pleasant night. It was not an overly-large room, but very reasonable for a downtown urban hotel. Everything was clean and well-prepared.

Our only real complaint, which we shared the next morning with the reception staff, was with the doorman at our arrival. The hotel charges an additional $22 a night for self-parking in a crowded lot next door, and slightly more for valet parking. (Not unreasonable given the location.) As soon as we pulled up, however, and the doorman ascertained that we would self-park and not pay him for valet parking, he refused to allow us to unload in front of the hotel (in a designated spot which was labeled "15-minute unloading"), but insisted we had to park first, take our luggage down the elevator and across the alley to the hotel entrance, and then register. The rest of our stay was pleasant the rest of the staff were very helpful, but this rude initial reception was a shock at the start of our stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

My husband and I booked a last minute trip to Philly. We don't know the city too well so we decided to stay at the Doubletree one night and the Garden Inn (see seperate review) the next. The location of the Doubletree was excellent. Right by all of the theatres and within short walking distance of good little restaurants. I am a Hilton Honors gold member but since we booked so last minute, there were no rooms available on the executive floor. That was fine as we ended up in a big corner room. I really like the room but as other reviews mentioned, you can hear everything that goes on in the hallways. Also, the breakfast was highly lacking. We paid extra for the hot buffet and the eggs were inedible. There is an Ihop nearby which is probably tons better. The staff was great! Other than the noise and nasty eggs, we really enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!