“Ditto; " Location, Location, Location"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City

You added Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 South Broad Street, Broad and Locust Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19107-5686   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Winter Special from $89
Ranked #38 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Ditto; " Location, Location, Location"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

As a HIlton Honors member, I looked hard at the choices available in Philly and initially I did not find a fit that I had wanted, but I ended up not being disappointed in this hotel. I spotted another review of this hotel just before writing mine and I had to feel that this reviewer had in mind the same things that I wanted to write about, even down to the sameTitle!

I had a great rate for a downtown hotel in ANY city; I booked this one on the Hilton website about 2 weeks before my visit and got a rate of $129/night. (AAA rate: it would have been even less expensive if I had been willing to pay in full in advance)

The hotel is reasonably accessible from the airport by train.
I actually stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn at the PHL Airport(also a Hilton property) and caught the train with my partner for $8 for both of us to travel to the central city (vs. $28 + tip for a cab)
The train has two stops near City Hall and results in a 10 minute walk to the hotel.

This hotel is located along the Avenue of the Arts (Broad Street) and near major theatres and the Curtis Institute of Music. Because of its central location, it was a good place to walk to various sites that my partner and I wanted to visit.
The main purpose of our Philly trip was to visit the Barnes Foundation where there is a fantastic art collection focusing on Impressionist and Post-Impressionist artists that may be unrivalled anywhere in the world. This is close to the world famous Museum of Art just northwest of the hotel and a nice 20 minute walk (for a pair of mid-50's adults that we are ) from our hotel.
We were also about a 20 minute walk from the Independence Mall area where the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and other historical sites are located.
We were less than 10 minutes walk from Rittenhouse Square where there are fabulous stores and restaurants.

Some Hiltons have great restaurants; this hotel did not have a great restaurant, but had a good serviceable restaurant. Service was a bit slow and seemed a bit disjointed for breakfast.
As a HIlton Honors member, we were entitled to two Continental Breakfast meals each day of stay; however, on Sundays, we were entitled to the entire Brunch buffet including hot foods, omelets, etc. Food quality was good, but we felt compelled to venture out and try the wide variety of ethnic eateries that abound in downtown Philadelphia.

The room was nicely appointed. I would have liked a room safe, otherwise it had the amenities I would expect from a hotel room. The only glitch encountered with the room was an environmental control unit on the wall that did not seem to sync with the heating unit controls, so I used the heating unit controls neat the window.
Also, although I was on the 22nd floor, I could still hear the loud emergency vehicle sirens in the middle of the night. Thankfully, only happened two or three times that I can recall.

Service was excellent from staff members.
It did get a bit backed up at noontime for checkout and they appeared to be short-staffed at least temporarily but everyone remained pleasant nonetheless.

I intend to return to Philadelphia to visit the Museum of Art and spend a bit more time exploring this city and I would be perfectly happy to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Greek first
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I checked in late at night after a very long day, and they made the end of my day very easy. Check in only took a moment, and they even had a warm cookie ready for me. The room was very clean and cozy, and the king bed was incredibly comfortable. Parking was easy to find, and very conveniently located directly under the hotel.

Room Tip: The high floors have some very nice views of the city.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Walking distance from our son's apartment was a large part of the reason we chose to stay here, but it's also walking distance from music and theater venues, museums, historic districts, and lots of retaurants. Service was excellent, room was very comfortable, and we enjoyed breakfast buffet. (A perk for HHonors guests.) Only negative was intermittant noise from elevator, even though we were several rooms from the elevator shaft.

Room Tip: Get a room away from elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This property was once the Hershey hotel in Philadelphia. Hilton has done a great job with the interior. The rooms had a boutique feel and very clean. The downstairs bar is a great meeting place and we decided to stay and eat dinner with the group that we were with. Most of us ordered salads and we all really enjoyed them. Although the service was a little slow we were surprised with the quality of food. The lobby has some great lighting and decorating and with all the glass has a lot of openness. Would stay again with the price being appropriate and the hotel being situated close to so many things.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I reserved the King Bed Executive Floor, but was given a room not on the executive floor. I paid a little extra for this room type and I was excited about the extra perks on the executive floor. When I asked why I wasn't put on the executive floor, the front desk denied that was the room I reserved, but I am absolutely positive that I reserved that room online. In fact, my mother went to book the same room type online right after I booked my room, and it was no longer available, presumably because there are very few rooms of that type. Anyway, this was quite disappointing.

In addition, the front desk was generally not friendly or welcoming.

The location is great and the rooms are quite nice, but for the above reasons I was not impressed by this hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
KTPM, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Christine C,
Thank you for your comments and we apologize you did not receive the room type you requested. There seemed to be a discrepency in the discription of our room types on our website and the room reservation that came through to the hotel. Our Reservations Manager is investigating this glitch and hopes to have it corrected shortly. Again we apologize for any inconvenience this caused and hope to welcome you back in the future.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I'm surprised by the mediocre reviews since we were perfectly happy with our stay here, beginning with the location - smack in the middle of downtown theater/restaurant/shopping, a nice walk to Rittenhouse Square. Based on reviews, we requested a high floor away from the elevator and got a very spacious corner room with a perfect view looking straight up Broad Street to William Penn atop City Hall. Bathroom was fine - can't expect a high-end shower at this price (we found a $129 weekend rate on the hotel site, which included free coffee in the a.m. and excellent warmed chocolate chip cookies on arrival). Parking at the attached garage was reasonable @ $25/day, but it's a tight squeeze so smaller car advised. We also walked to the Barnes Museum and to Independence Hall - probably less than a mile away each, but many nice old buildings along the way. Only downside: even on the 18th floor, we were bothered very late one night by sirens, but that's an urban hazard.

Room Tip: High floor, away from the elevator, corner room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Purchase, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Slim choices for Hilton Honors members in downtown Philly. I would take this over the Embassy Suites and Chinatown HGI. Broad and Locust puts you near the Academy of Music, Playhouses, restaurants and the Pine Street antiques area, On a good day the museums on the Parkway are a nice walk, as is the Reading Terminal Market. You are reasonably close to the office towers near Suburban Station, but there are closer (non-Hilton) options.
The lobby is small and not terribly inviitng, but reception is brisk and we are cookied and in our room in a flash. The room is nicely decorated two queen beds and blond wood furniture. There is a triangular shaped window and a good view to the south. The bathroom is nondescript and there is no shower gel. Towels are adequate. Bedding and sleep quality are very good.
Breakfast on Sunday morning is good with a competent omelet chef and good meat choices. Pastries are fine, but skip the croissants. Monday's pickings are slimmer no omelet bar and the turkey sausage is replaced with cardboard turkey bacon. Service is friendly both days and Balcony is an airy inviting space.
One con is the funky twisty tight parking garage. Leave your Suburban in the suburbs if you want to park unscathed.

Room Tip: I would ask for a high floor facing north.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!