“Exceptional Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 South Broad Street, Broad and Locust Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19107-5686   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Philly Overnight Package
Ranked #37 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Fairfax, Virginia
“Exceptional Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Excellent place. The room (on the Hilton Honors floor) was clean, spacious and quiet. Perfect for relaxing. Standing O Bar was very good. The drinks were surprisingly good in no small part to having a noticeable amount of liquor in them. Nacho appetizer was also good. Of particular very positive note was Kim at the front desk. We checked in early evening, and she was a positive and spirited as could be. Kim and her upbeat helpful friendly attitude was what we needed after a long day. She is one of the big reasons we enjoy coming back to Hilton and this Doubletree. No complaints- we'll be back the next time we are in Philly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors facing west. There are great views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear ThomasH133,
We appreciate your kind words regarding your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. It's great to also get feedback about specific employees and experiences in our restaurants. I wil be sure to pass on your kind words to the appropriate departments.
We are looking forward to seeing you again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

1,403 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Melbourne Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We spent two nights at this hotel. The location is superb- about three blocks south of City Hall- and on one of the main streets in Philly, Broad Street. The wonderful Reading Market is ten minutes away. Walk east and you are in the historic Washington Square area and then, a little further on and you are in the heart of colonial Philadelphia. There are several subway and train stations right next door. THis is a good hotel for anyone who is visiting Philly as a tourist or who needs reasonably easy access to universities (Penn, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson). The hotel itself has nothing special to make it stand out. The room we had was very ample and comfortable, though, and the service from reception staff was good. Its very strange, though, that the only teas available in the rooms are chamomile and Earl Grey. What about some good old fashioned ordinary black or English Breakfast tea? British, canadian, Australian tourists would really appreciate that

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear MelbourneOztraveller,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. We are pleased that you found our location ideal for your visit. I will be sure to forward your message on about the tea in the room, yes I would agree that tradtional tea should be offered.
If you are ever in the Philadelphia area we hope that you will chose to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
The Management team
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was in Philadelphia for a conference in September 2011. I stayed at the Double tree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City which was located at a good place with friendly staffs. when i got there, they gave me a hot cookie at registration. It was fantastic to be treated with such kindness and consideration as I was tired. The room was very spacious, clean, and great.The bed was comfortable. I everyday ate my healthy breakfast especially delicious blueberries in the lounge and enjoyed the beautiful view there. I bought some beautiful souvenir gifts at the hotel gift shop. I really had good time there.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was in Philly for a wedding and decided to stay at the doubletree.
I was perfectly happy with my stay, excellent location right in the center of everything, you can pretty much walk anywhere.
The room was great, the bed was super comfortable.
Some reviews have mentioned that the hotel was "tired" or "old" but I really didn't get that feeling.
For me it totally lived up to my expectations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a fairly well-maintained upscale hotel in the midst of the "Arts District," 3 blocks directly south of City Hall. It is within walking distance but not that close to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell if you ar in Philadelphia to see those sights.We did not ride the subway but saw a station across the street from the hotel.

We had a corner room on the 14th floor. Our large, spacious room had a queen bed, flat-panel TV, sofa, desk and an arm chair with ottoman. The bed was very comfortable.

The bathroom was in good condition and had plenty of hot water.

The plumbing was noisy for a modern high rise hotel. We could hear our neighbor's pipes when he/she took a shower in the morning, which prompted us to get out of bed.

We did not eat in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear honorablejohn,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I appreciate you giving a detailed description of our location and how much this area has to offer. In fact, there is a subway entrance directly below our hotel-no need to cross the street. Many guests use the subway for attending sporting events and concerts. It's the easiest way to get to there!

It's wonderful to learn that you had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay with us and hope that if you should ever be back in Philadelphia you will come and see us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel has an awesome location. There is shopping, restaurants, and bars just outside the door. The front desk was accomodating with useful information on running routes and good restaurants. You get a cookie when you check in which is a homey touch. However your room is not so homey. The decor is aged. The bed is extremely soft so much so you fall into it. This for me is a bad thing as I like a harder mattress for my back. In addition a mini fridge would be a needed addition. The parking garage is a disaster. It cost 50 dollars for 30 hrs which is a bit outrageous, find another garage that is closeby. Lastly I find it annoying that hotels charge for wifi at this point. I didn't use their services as there was a Starbucks nearby to get a free signal when needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear 07Boston,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our Front Desk Staff. Seems like that provided you with enough knowledge for you to enjoy your stay with us. As for the cookie-they are amazing! Imagine smelling those baking everyday?!? Fridges and microwaves and other things that might have made your stay more enjoyable would have been a phone call away. We do keep a few on hand for guests. We don't own the parking lot so we do have little control over the rates and the operation. We do at times make suggestions and they do work with us, but again it is independently owned from the hotel. There are a few other lots in the area, but this is the closest. Also, as for the rate we are one of the cheaper lots in the Center City area. The offering of Wi-fi in the room is something that we do look into, but at the time we only offer free wi-fi in our public areas.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Haymarket, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

First the good news: The staff was very accomodating, checking my wife and I in at 11am (we were in town for a wedding), and they answered clearly any questions we had.

The bad rating I give comes from the quality of the hotel itself. I did not see or use the pool or gym so I am unaware how those facilities look, however I know well how our room looked and was supplied:
1. The hallways are dated and not representative of the Doubletree brand (it looks like you're walking through a comfort inn, and an older one at that)
2. The room looks like it was last furnished and updated in the mid 90's.
3. No mini-fridge/microwave/or mini-bar, just a coffee maker with 2 coffees and 2 teas with sugar and half&half.
4. The bathroom was tiny and the toilet was crooked off its foundation by about 2 inches and banged against the wall if you even gently sat on it.
5. Our room was the last one before the elevator bank and wow, you could hear everything in the elevator shafts through the walls (no soundproofing whatsoever).
6. Roomservice is BEYOND incompetent. The phone number they give you in the menus connects to the front desk, not the kitchen. After being transferred 4 times, the 4th person picked up the phone but did not respond for 2 minutes as i could hear staff conversations go on with no one picking up the phone to take my order, so I just hung up and went down to get lunch.
7. The parking garage is tiny, sketchy, doesnt take credit cards, and is dangerous with how tight the driving lane is.

Basically this place is falling apart and aside from the front desk the staff is not trained AT ALL in customer service or their job responsibilities. This hotel is not worth your money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian B,
I appreciate you taking the time to write out a very clear and descriptive review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
First, thank you for praising our staff at check in at a little bit later of an hour.
Secondly, I can truly appreciate the time it took for you to remark on the things that you found dissatifactory with your stay. Needless, to say I do wish this is not the stay that you had experienced, but nonetheless it is. The full hotel has had renovations over the past three years-most recently one of our larger ballrooms and in the public areas the restaruant on the Mezzanine. The rooms were renovated in May 2009. Although, it may not be your style or preference I can assure you it was more recently than the mid 90's. As for no mini bar/fridge we do not offer them in every room, but do have a supply on hand should a guet request one. With this being a Center City property we can be a little tight on space and some of the rooms do have different floor plans and dimensions. As for the noise you experienced-my apologies. We do make every attempt we can to remind guests that there are other guests in the hotel to try to keep the noise levels to a minimum. A call to security is always helpful if you are ever experiencing any level of discomfort in any hotel. As for Room Service-that is a process that we are consistently trying to improve upon. There is no excuse for you to be transferred around and then not even have the order taken once the phone is answered. You should not have been that incovenienced to have had to leave your room for your meal. the hotel does not own the parking garage so we do have little control over the operation or the size.

Again, I appreciate all you had shared with us regarding your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
The Management Team

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!