“Nice hotel, one mile from Independence Hall” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   237 South Broad Street, Broad and Locust Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19107-5686   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Philly Overnight Package
Ranked #37 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
“Nice hotel, one mile from Independence Hall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a fairly well-maintained upscale hotel in the midst of the "Arts District," 3 blocks directly south of City Hall. It is within walking distance but not that close to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell if you ar in Philadelphia to see those sights.We did not ride the subway but saw a station across the street from the hotel.

We had a corner room on the 14th floor. Our large, spacious room had a queen bed, flat-panel TV, sofa, desk and an arm chair with ottoman. The bed was very comfortable.

The bathroom was in good condition and had plenty of hot water.

The plumbing was noisy for a modern high rise hotel. We could hear our neighbor's pipes when he/she took a shower in the morning, which prompted us to get out of bed.

We did not eat in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear honorablejohn,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I appreciate you giving a detailed description of our location and how much this area has to offer. In fact, there is a subway entrance directly below our hotel-no need to cross the street. Many guests use the subway for attending sporting events and concerts. It's the easiest way to get to there!

It's wonderful to learn that you had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay with us and hope that if you should ever be back in Philadelphia you will come and see us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

1,401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel has an awesome location. There is shopping, restaurants, and bars just outside the door. The front desk was accomodating with useful information on running routes and good restaurants. You get a cookie when you check in which is a homey touch. However your room is not so homey. The decor is aged. The bed is extremely soft so much so you fall into it. This for me is a bad thing as I like a harder mattress for my back. In addition a mini fridge would be a needed addition. The parking garage is a disaster. It cost 50 dollars for 30 hrs which is a bit outrageous, find another garage that is closeby. Lastly I find it annoying that hotels charge for wifi at this point. I didn't use their services as there was a Starbucks nearby to get a free signal when needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear 07Boston,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our Front Desk Staff. Seems like that provided you with enough knowledge for you to enjoy your stay with us. As for the cookie-they are amazing! Imagine smelling those baking everyday?!? Fridges and microwaves and other things that might have made your stay more enjoyable would have been a phone call away. We do keep a few on hand for guests. We don't own the parking lot so we do have little control over the rates and the operation. We do at times make suggestions and they do work with us, but again it is independently owned from the hotel. There are a few other lots in the area, but this is the closest. Also, as for the rate we are one of the cheaper lots in the Center City area. The offering of Wi-fi in the room is something that we do look into, but at the time we only offer free wi-fi in our public areas.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Haymarket, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

First the good news: The staff was very accomodating, checking my wife and I in at 11am (we were in town for a wedding), and they answered clearly any questions we had.

The bad rating I give comes from the quality of the hotel itself. I did not see or use the pool or gym so I am unaware how those facilities look, however I know well how our room looked and was supplied:
1. The hallways are dated and not representative of the Doubletree brand (it looks like you're walking through a comfort inn, and an older one at that)
2. The room looks like it was last furnished and updated in the mid 90's.
3. No mini-fridge/microwave/or mini-bar, just a coffee maker with 2 coffees and 2 teas with sugar and half&half.
4. The bathroom was tiny and the toilet was crooked off its foundation by about 2 inches and banged against the wall if you even gently sat on it.
5. Our room was the last one before the elevator bank and wow, you could hear everything in the elevator shafts through the walls (no soundproofing whatsoever).
6. Roomservice is BEYOND incompetent. The phone number they give you in the menus connects to the front desk, not the kitchen. After being transferred 4 times, the 4th person picked up the phone but did not respond for 2 minutes as i could hear staff conversations go on with no one picking up the phone to take my order, so I just hung up and went down to get lunch.
7. The parking garage is tiny, sketchy, doesnt take credit cards, and is dangerous with how tight the driving lane is.

Basically this place is falling apart and aside from the front desk the staff is not trained AT ALL in customer service or their job responsibilities. This hotel is not worth your money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian B,
I appreciate you taking the time to write out a very clear and descriptive review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
First, thank you for praising our staff at check in at a little bit later of an hour.
Secondly, I can truly appreciate the time it took for you to remark on the things that you found dissatifactory with your stay. Needless, to say I do wish this is not the stay that you had experienced, but nonetheless it is. The full hotel has had renovations over the past three years-most recently one of our larger ballrooms and in the public areas the restaruant on the Mezzanine. The rooms were renovated in May 2009. Although, it may not be your style or preference I can assure you it was more recently than the mid 90's. As for no mini bar/fridge we do not offer them in every room, but do have a supply on hand should a guet request one. With this being a Center City property we can be a little tight on space and some of the rooms do have different floor plans and dimensions. As for the noise you experienced-my apologies. We do make every attempt we can to remind guests that there are other guests in the hotel to try to keep the noise levels to a minimum. A call to security is always helpful if you are ever experiencing any level of discomfort in any hotel. As for Room Service-that is a process that we are consistently trying to improve upon. There is no excuse for you to be transferred around and then not even have the order taken once the phone is answered. You should not have been that incovenienced to have had to leave your room for your meal. the hotel does not own the parking garage so we do have little control over the operation or the size.

Again, I appreciate all you had shared with us regarding your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I do not normally leave reviews for the hotels I stay at when I travel, but this one warranted it. There are several things that I liked about this hotel: the lobby, the parking, and the staff. That is about it.

The lobby looks great and the parking was convenient, we needed a conference room on the fly and they accommodated our group with ease. Thank you Robin.

I am not sure if it was the beds or pillows, but I had a hard time sleeping the two days I was there. Not only that, my room was at the end of the hall where there are 6 doors right next to each other...I can't event start to explain how loud that was, especially when people are coming in and out of those rooms all night. I thought it was just me and I was being cranky, but several other people in our group staying there mentioned the same things, especially with not being able to get comfortable in the beds.

To top it all off, our group of 6 went to the restaurant off the lobby for lunch. We waited for 20 minutes at our table after being seated without one person acknowledging our presence. A couple of the waiters event looked at us a few times and just ignored us. Finally we decided to leave and go across the street (Perch Pub lunch was REALLY good) and one of the waiters came over and started giving us attitude for leaving.

The next day we moved our rooms down the street to the Courtyard Marriott next to City Hall, and I finally got some sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear wholden,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadlphia Center City. I appreciate you pointing out some of the positive parts of your stay. I will be sure to let Robin kow that that you appreciated her begin able to get a conference room for you so quickly.
As for the less than perfect parts of your stay I am sorry that you experienced the lack or service and sleep. We do try to make every attempt to try to keep the noise level down to a minimum on the floors for guests who are trying to sleep. At times, it can get a little loud. I can not give you any reason for the lack of service you recieved at the restaurant-there is no excuse for that. You are most correct, there should have been at a minimum an acknowledgement of you waiting to be seated.

I do wish that your stay would have went differently and that you would not have felt the need to change hotels to relax. Perhaps, in the future you will give us another try at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The location is outstanding, right on Broad, 2 blocks down from City Hall with the subway entrance right outside the door to the hotel. Parking, however, is ridiculous in a small little high rise lot that isn't owned by the hotel. The service however, is the big thing....with a 5 day stay, I can say there was only 1 person working the front desk is was customer service oriented. All the rest, especially one very "superior" man were visibly disturb if you actually required them to do something other than be rude to you, which they excelled at.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear rdeanr,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadlphia Center City. I am sorry that the service you experienced was less than par. This is not the standard level of service any guest should have to experience during their stay. I appreciate your honest feedback and will be sure to address this with the department directors.
I do hope that one day you will travel again to Philadelphia and give us another shot at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Nothing good and nothing bad. It is your typical center city hotel. It is a little bit away from the action but not too far. The service was forgettable, that can be a good thing sometimes. The rooms were clean and nice. Nothing unusual though. Parking was expensive!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear janice m,
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center Ciy. I do wish you could have been more wow'd by your visit, but like you did say sometimes something forgettable isn't a bad thing. As for the parking, we are actually do offer some of the cheaper rates for Center City hotel parking. I do hope you do come back to visit us again soon and maybe we can WOW you at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Northwestern Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pleasant greeting from valet, friendly & quick check-in at front desk, clean spacious room with exceptionally comfortable bed, convenient location close to theater, shopping and arts, very nice breakfast buffet and fine dining for evening meals on site Checking out was a breeze, car was out front waiting for us. Responsive and helpful staff. Left an item in the room, called on the way home and had a tracking number within an hour. Thank you! Already made a reservation for a return trip to Philadelphia!

Room Tip: Hilton Honors rooms on 23rd floor have corner windows with awesome views!