“Satisfying Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Arlington, VA
“Satisfying Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2006

A group of us stayed for one night in order to attend the opening of the Flower Show the next morning. We had reserved three rooms through the Marriott reservations website. We arrived about 5PM on a Saturday and although there were a lot of people arriving by car at the same time the process went fairly quickly. We had decided to have the vehicle valet parked ($35) and we were out and in the lobby within a few moments.

Check in was fast and easy. I am a Marriott Rewards member but that did not speed the check-in process which did not need speeding up!

Room was the usual Marriott sort and quite adequate. We were not in the so-called "Deluxe Tower."

What I personally did not like was the bedding. The king size bed mattress had some sort of overlay padded cover to make it softer. It did the job but I personally prefer a much firmer mattress. Other members of the group who were in the other two rooms felt their beds were fine.

Breakfast buffet was adequate; omelets and Belgian waffles made-to-order are available.

Staff were routinely helpful and friendly throughout every section of the hotel. The connecting walkway to the Convention Center next door was appreciated.

The hotel is convenient to local public transport and most areas of Center City.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

We stayed here for 3 days and were very pleased with everything. Check in was quick and pleasant, the room was very comfortable and clean. Staff friendly and efficient. This was our ninth stay here and have always been very satisfied.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

I obtained this hotel on a $47 bid on Priceline - it is rated 3* in the downtown zone. The hotel is very large and centrally located on Market Street. Check in was speedy and polite. I'm silver elite (from a credit card) so that may have had a benefit - I was given a room with a lovely view on a high floor.

The rooms in the hotel are quite nice; lush full bedding and a decent bathroom. Photos attached. Wired Internet access costs extra (I believe $9.95 from noon to noon, but didn't check closely - I used dial up) Local calls are $1, untimed. I think because I'm elite, they removed the charge and I got points for incidentals and credit for the stay towards elite (but not points)

The hotel has a pool and a very large fitness center with a good selection of cardio machines (at least 15 treadmills) and weight training equipment.

I'm staying here again (got it for $46 this time!) and looking forward to it.

• Stayed February 2006
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for a night (Friday/Saturday) with my husband and two kids.

When we arrived a large convention was getting out and the valet area and check in were a MESS. After waiting a while a valet took out car and a bellman helped us get our luggage to our room. His service levels were excellent.

The location is good as you can walk to a variety of places. The room is fine. You can tell they hae tried to bring the room to date with the upgraded linens, bathroom items but the core of the room still looks like it was redone in the early/mid 90's. The room was clean and the hotel was quiet at night for sleeping- no complaints.

We went out a night and when we came back the valet area was still a mess. They took my car back in but told others just checking in they were full and gave suggestions of other places to park- it was 10:00 at night. I would not have been happy.

We were hungry after coming back. We wanted food we could take up to the room to avoid crazy room services charges and the wait. There is a sushi bar in the lobby. The chef was closing up but he made our take out order anyway. We were happy and the sushi was decent. Not Genji quality but good for a hotel- nice option over lousy room service. Fish was fresh.

When we checked out in the AM my husbands bill was taken care of my a business associate so we were not supposed to pay anything. For some reason they did not put the parking on the bill. Not a big deal just minor issue.

I have stayed several places in Philly over the years. This was better than the Double Tree or Omni but not as good as the Ritz or Hyatt. If the rates are similar I would choose of those over this one. Again- not bad- would stay here again, it it just nothing steller and if you are going to need in/out with your car it might not be the best place. The valets are very nice and helpful just seemed overwhelmed.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2006

Nice location. Convenient for a convention and right next to Reading Terminal. Wonderful service. You should be prepared to pay at least $30 for valet parking. The pool was on the small side, but the workout area was fairly spacious. I would stay here again when visiting Philadelphia.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Yardley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

I'm surprised by all the negative reviews. I've stayed here several times and have never been less than impressed. The beds, first of all, are outstanding. (Normally I don't comment on the beds, because hotel beds are usually either acceptable or not acceptable, but these beds are unusually solid and comfortable.) The rooms are clean and spacious, and people who enjoy hot showers will notice the mighty water pressure--a pleasant surprise. I'm also impressed by how quiet the rooms are. You almost forget that you're right in the middle of a bustling city.

The lobby is usually very busy, because it's huge and the hotel often houses big conventions. It might seem overwhelming at first, because there are several entrances, and you tend to see many more guests milling about (often with conference name badges) than Marriott employees.

Get out of the hotel if you can, because you're within walking distance of many of Philadelphia's best sights. Definitely avoid the hotel's restaurants, which are overpriced. Chinatown, with dozens of authentic restaurants, is just a block or two away. So is the famed Reading Terminal Market, a convenient place to grab an informal bite to eat. Market Street itself is not so interesting, but the hotel is right next to a big shopping mall, if you need one.

• Stayed December 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2006

The location was excellent for convention activities. Everything was in easy walking distance and, in bad weather, you can cut through other Marriott properties.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable, and the experience typical for Residence Inns. My only complaint is that I am tired of the same dreary breakfasts at the Residence Inns. Fortunately the Reading Terminal Market was a few minutes away where the breakfast options were many.

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!