“Worst Marriott EVER!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Worst Marriott EVER!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2005

We stayed hear to meet my parents in July 2005. The place looks great on the outside but the interior is another story. The lobby is full of cigarette smoke and seems to never be cleaned out. Stere clear of all the restaurants within the hotel, the food is very expensive and you do not get what you pay for. My breakfast buffet was $11.95, did not even include a drink, and our server forgot about us. You could probably find better food accross the street at the seven eleven.

The pool and fitness center were just inexcusable. The sides of the pool had slime, yes SLIME, on them. It was a very erie feeling just to have your feet touch it. There were these green things floating on top of the foam in the hottub.

If I were you, I would stere clear of the Marriott Downtown Philadelphia. In addition to all these problems. The airconditioner in my room broke during my stay, but at least the repair woman was nice to talk to.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2005

We had a most unpleasant experience. The beds were terrible and the sheets didn't cover the beds and couldn't be tucked in. So, the sheets were on the floor within an hour. I tried to discuss this with a manager but no one was available. I left a voice mail and still have not heard from anyone. I even complained to Marriott proper and still have not heard from anyone from this hotel. I mentioned the problem to housekeeping and requested sheets that tuck in; and the housekeeper laughed. When I requested turn down service, the beds were turned down. Dirty towels were not removed and we had to ask for clean towels. Service in this hotel is less than a Days Inn.

I would have stayed at the Courtyard or Residence Inn in the same location had I realized the situation.

The location of the hotel is wonderful. Valet parking is absurdly expensive. Concierge room is nice and has good food.

• Stayed November 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2005

This is the ideal place if you're attending a meeting in the Convention Center. My original room was lovely, but the plumbing shreiked every time someone flushed a toilet nearby. The hotel was packed, but the engineer begged until the front desk moved me to another room. It was not as nice, but it was quiet. One thing puzzles me: this is a convention hotel, yet none of the services seem geared to dealing with large influxes of guests. There were long lines for EVERYTHING: food, coffee, business center. I had room service breakfast (which was good and prompt) because I didn't have time to wait in the lines. Overall, however, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the service adequate.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
Albuquerque, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2005

This is a huge hotel. I stayed here for a conference (the biggest one Philly has ever hosted, about 35,000 people). The hotel is great for conferences because it is attached to the convention center. If you stay here - try to get a room in the Deluxe Tower, which is where I stayed. The rooms are much larger and the Tower connects to the Conv. Cntr and the Mall. The hotel room itself was just ok; the bed was not that great, it was not one of the new soft lush beds they are putting in all of the hotels of this caliber. Others told me their rooms were also very small. There are also no refrigs. or mini-bars in the rooms. The room was clean, but housekeeping would forget to refill things - like the coffee (not good). They have lots of good channels, nice when you are there for a while. Room service was good but pricey. The hotel is nearby a mall and the Amish/local market and within walking distance to Chinatown. The customer service was good at the hotel, but honestly as a meeting planner myself, I could tell the entire city was just not prepared for a meeting our size - the service may have been even better at other times. I and others from around the U.S. did not find most of the customer service workers in Downtown Philly. (cashiers, waitresses, other service staff) to be that friendly or hospitable.

Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

If your goal is to be able to work out while on the road, this is your hotel. One of the best hotel gyms I have seen. Great equipment. The hotel itself is very large and right in the middle of the city. Rooms are very nice. Like any of the major chains, they will treat you better if you sign up to their reward program.

Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2005

This is a black sheep of the Marriott chain, especially in terms of customer service. I was placed into a smoking room that stunk beyond belief of stank smoke. I was told "sorry, but you have to request non-smoking". When I told the clerk I had done so over one over one month ago, he said "no, we don't show that on your reservation". Fortunately for me, I had a printed copy of the confirmation in my bag....stating: NON_SMOKING room. He took one look, and walked off without saying anything. He then tried to give me another smoking room, that had been "ozoned". All I got out of that was eye and throat irritation like you would not believe. When I walked into the room, an ozone machine was in there going full tilt. I had no idea what it was, but I stayed in the room to call the front desk to ask them to come retrieve it. That is when they told me, "oh, you are not supposed to go in there when that machine is on". What?! Why did you send me to this room?? You get the picture of the level of competence and communication between the staff of this cold, impersonal hotel.
It took me 1.5 hours to finally get a proper room. This was now midnight, with an early morning meeting. The rest of the trip was just as bad- I was actually told they had "oversold significantly", and had to leave one day early, after they claimed I had agreed to check out a day earlier that expected. Interesting, since I had to be there for a presentation on that last day. I kid you not. I would NEVER stay in another Marriott after this experience. Especially this one. Absolutely, completely bottom-rate customer service. The rooms are dreary and without any unique character. The food is OK at best. Buyer beware.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Charlottesville VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2005

Location is very good -- the heart of Philadelphia -- but that means valet parking at nearly $30. It wasn't the greatest valet service, though. It was a very hot summer day, and valet check out was outdoors at a window with a line.

The Lobby is very large and has multiple dining/bar areas, it seems. It is always bustling with activity and has that ultra metropolitan flair.

We were assigned an incorrect room at first. The room had been cleared out for a convention meeting space. Our bellman was helpful enough to help get us another room, but we waited a good 20 minutes after an exhausting drive. There are hundreds of rooms in this Marriot and our room felt isolated, on a high floor, and in an out-of-the-way wing. The room size was decent, carpets were nice and thick, and beds were quite comfortable. High speed internet was $9.95 per day, which is outrageous for a full service hotel. Our view was quite nice though -- city scape. All the basics were included, and all in all, a comfortable stay. No issues with cleanliness. But for a major metropolitan area Marriot, we expected a little more. Basically, the lobby looked swanky, but rooms were a little shabby.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!