“Great Stay in the Downtown Area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Save Saved
You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #41 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
“Great Stay in the Downtown Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I was in Philadelphia for a conference and stayed at this Marriott in the downtown area. It is huge, tons of rooms, and close to everything. It's within walking distance of the convention center, bunches of restaurants, and even historic sites, such as the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. The hotel, itself, was clean, comfortable, and the rooms were quiet. I would definitely stay here again.

1,550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This hotel is quite dated and needs a serious update. The location makes it a good place to stay if you are in the area for a convention, as it is 2 blocks from the convention center and directly across from the Reading Terminal Market.

My biggest problem is with their business practices. First of all, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a copy of your bill without a great deal of effort and hassle. They did not leave a copy of the bill under my door and the line to check out was too long for me to get one. You cannot simply call the front desk and request a copy. You have to email or fax a request to some unknown entity.

Secondly, unlike every other Marriott I have stayed at, they do not email a copy of your receipt to you!

Third, when I called the "At Your Request Line" and front desk, my minimum wait was always at least 30 rings. Sometimes no one ever answered!

Fourth, they close their elite lounge on the weekend. They do not bother to tell you this at check-in. When you find out and ask what the accommodation is for breakfast, they will tell you that they will add 1000 points to your account for each weekend night that you are staying. However, they never award the points. The desk clerk who said she would check on this and call me back never called me.

By far, this Marriott has the worst customer service of the many where I have stayed!!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the noisy elevator tones.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent visits to our hotel. We appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. We would like to apologize for the frustration and inconvenience you experienced when you were unable to obtain a copy of your folios, that the concierge lounge was closed and the delay in the phone being answered. As I mentioned in my email to you, your comments have been shared and corrective action has been taken. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.
Columbus, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I found this hotel to be a disappointment. The room was not very clean, the service was marginal. The toilet did not flush correctly and the key did not always work in the elevator. The waitress service in the lobby bar was terrible but the bartenders were excellent. The location is outstanding.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Supervisor at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor! We greatly appreciate the feedback both positive and negative. Please accept my apologies for the unsatisfactory accommodations you were given and the disappointing waitress service in our restaurant. We strive to deliver the best that our customers like you deserve and expect but obviously failed in your case. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate department leaders for immediate corrective action. Please feel free to contact me directly should your travels bring you back to Philadelphia and our hotel so that I can personally handle your reservation to ensure that it exceeds your expectations. I can be reached at (215) 625-6030.
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I just spent three nights here and really enjoyed my stay. The location in downtown Philly is excellent, close to convention center, Reading terminal market, historical sites, and nightlife. The lobby is really nice with restaurant and bar. The hallways and rooms are a little dated, but very clean and comfortable. The workout and pool area are also very nice.

You can walk to restaurants, nightlife, liberty bell area, and subway. I would definitely stay here again. I recommend you do NOT park at the hotel, unreasonably expensive, and lots of parking garages close by that are much cheaper (but not cheap).

CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Overall this hotel is pretty dated, however it is located in the heart of the city and close to everything. If you have business downtown, I would recommend this hotel. Employees were helpful, and the rooms are acceptable. Not a 5 star, but I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay, accommodations and the friendliness of our staff. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Blacksburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed here for three nights. Location great-across from the reading market and close to the beautiful city hall . We could walk to the avenue of the arts and to the amazing Barnes museum. The lobby is lovely. The halls were like a maze and not particularly well appointed.!The room was fine-unfortunately no cool shot on the hair dryer so I guess I will have to start packing my own...

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay and our great location. We are only sorry to hear that the rest of your experience was not as good; and for that we are sorry. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Millville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel really exemplifies the defintion of what a Marriott should stand for. When I entered the property I was transported a beautifully designed lobby with awesome decor all around. The check-in experience was awesome and I felt like I was a VIP for the night. The room was beautifully appointed with 2 decent sized double beds, huge desk area and ample amount of lighting. This hotel will now be the first choice when I have to stay in Philadelphia and I will tell everyone about my fantastic stay. Keep up the great work Marriott!!

Room Tip: High floor gives a beautiful view of Center City
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!